News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is it time to install Win10 1903?

Home Forums AskWoody blog Is it time to install Win10 1903?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 25 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  JohnW 4 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I can hear you scoffing. But nevermind. I just got this bit of mail: Dear Mr. Leonhard, In your article, you tell us *how* to prevent Windows 10 from
      [See the full post at: Is it time to install Win10 1903?]

7 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1725617 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

See Windows 10 May 2019 Update: The complete changelog for a rather lengthy list of new and changed features. Whether or not any is significant is likely in the eyes of the beholder.

And a more detailed look at a few changes – Windows 10 May 2019 Update review: Simple changes make Microsoft’s OS run smoother

--Joe

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1725755 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody_MVP

Is it a mistake or the new version isn’t supported for as long as the previous version for Enterprise and Education versions?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

• #1725916 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

That’s correct.

The xx09 versions will have up to 30 months of support – for Enterprise and Education. I think of them as the “Service Pack” releases. This is an xx03.

Until MS changes its mind again, anyway.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1727531 Reply

joep517
          AskWoody MVP

Nothing official but Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley think that Microsoft appears to be changing the xx09 releases to be more like a service pack since they have a longer support period. MJ posits that Microsoft may not have any new features in the xx09 release or that the new features will be optional.

It will be interesting to see how it falls out.

--Joe

• #1732410 Reply

AlexEiffel
            AskWoody_MVP

To me, that means that skipping xx03 versions when xx09 are stable might be better and can we make the hypothesis that more businesses will run only xx09 versions and update less often so these versions would be more tested in a business setting?

• #1727333 Reply

Mark
        AskWoody Plus

Two very good references to keep in mind are:
        https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

and

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/

Until, as Woody so appropriately stated…”Until MS changes its mind again, anyway.”
        Or even more aptly, as Darth Vader said  “I am altering the deal.  Pray I don’t alter it any further.”

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1709, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Windows Vista Home Premium x64
    • #1725866 Reply

DadCooks
      AskWoody Plus

“It’s kinda like wearing a red shirt on a Star Trek away team.”

Truer words have seldom been spoken.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1726777 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

Remember to remove USB and SD storage devices/cards prior to installing 😉

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1726856 Reply

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

A note from Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows Server, version 1903 (the Windows Health Dashboard).

Note If you need to keep your external device, SD memory card, or other devices attached to your computer while updating, we recommend that you do not attempt to manually update to Windows 10, version 1903 using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved.

--Joe

• #1727334 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Remember to remove USB and SD storage devices/cards prior to installing

And don’t forget to remove internal Hard Disks as well 🙂

“Note The drive reassignment is not limited to removable drives. Internal hard drives may also be affected.”

• #1729003 Reply

anonymous

Well that’s just about as untenable as it can get if that internal drive is your only drive. And Redmond’s Rapidly rolling 10 update cadence rolls over the OS’s end users like an overburdened 18 wheeler, with more added pain at each axel!

Ouch! That axle has definitely got too much weight and what’s the DOT weigh station doing! Oh they are using Windows 10 at the weigh station, Never Mind!

• #1729014 Reply

Elly
          AskWoody MVP

Humor aside…

There are too many non-techies browsing… I can just see someone taking the hard drive removal to the extreme… and wonder why the operating system wont boot, let alone Windows Update…

Where is our @Cartoonist Aaron? If you and I can ‘see’ this so clearly, I’m sure he’d be able to draw it…

So… disconnecting internal hard drives is only for those systems that have multiple internal drives attached. Never disconnect the internal Windows hard drive you are expecting to update…

Oh my… if I’m laughing, its because there was a time that I would be that literal about those instructions, and find myself in just such a predicament!

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #1745728 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Somehow feels like there’s something going on with the disk management in general. I’d hope it’s getting ready to implement a smarter disk subsystem in a future version…

Oh and did someone already get a .113 or .116 build of 1903 as a .iso from the download site or with the Media Creation Tool? Because for me the MCT made a .30, same build number as the straight download … difference being, one has an install.wim and the other install.esd…

It’s just, there were mentions of installer bugs that were fixed after .30, again.

Not very likely to install 1903 on anything just yet, but…

• #1727415 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Plus

I have it downloaded in WSUS and set to install for the TEST environment only. I just put my pc in that group so tomorrow my pc will likely begin the behind the scenes process. Those of you running WSUS should review the products and classifications categories since there are now specific references to W10 1903.

If things seem to go ok eventually I will update AD group policy to the 1903 admx template whenever it comes out. If this turns out to be a good release we will eventually make this version the new standard. Currently the majority of our W10 users are on 1803. I run 1809 with around 10 other pc’s which I pushed at the first of this year. Because of all the issues I never felt comfortable pushing that to everyone.

I only subject our users to one W10 version upgrade a year. I hope eventually we will have a new standard to go with in a couple of months.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1732168 Reply

Mr. Natural
        AskWoody Plus

I have an issue to report. I’ll report that in the new 1903 forum.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1727589 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Well its not a rush out and get it release thats for sure. Got a hold of Win10 Home and Pro through UUP Downloader couple of weeks back recently had another machine cascaded down to me so installed Pro & Home (VHDX) Vers 18362.86 since both updated to .113 no real problems thus far Pro networking with 3 Machines here not a problem no modifications in Services.msc needed between a mixed network here Win’s 7, 8.1, 10 (Mixed wireless and ethernet 1803, 1809 1903) However Win10 Home 1903 still needs quite a bit of tinkering to network with the other Win10 Vers. eventually, against advice around here and my own preference, basically needs CIFS/SMB1.0 enabling again. All Pro versions since the abolition of “Home Groups” made the transition fairly easily, Home Machines havent really lent them selves to networking post “Home Groups” seamlessly at all. Just use the Wizards in system properties “and your off to the races” with Pro.
      Pet Peeves? none really to whine about except the Acrylic Logon Screen, most remeniscent of staring at the screen though eyes suffering from the morning after the night before glaze. Can be fixed with a Reg Key (the link escapes me alas) Home can RDP to other machines running Pro but not another Home machine, no surprise there but for some reason Pro cant RDP in to Home, TermServ and RDP wrapper are still playing catch up with Win Vers so really hadnt tried those yet.
      Cosmetically a few tweaks, no real thoughts yeah or nay whether they are a good thing, even in a native install or a VHD(x) it does on the whole feel snappier and quicker and no Show Stoppers encountered yet, although early days. A little disconsulate that one commenter here says they are only distributing 18362.30 with the media tool I would have thought .86 or .113 would have been better but maybe M$ are true to thier word and testing them throroughly beforehand, as usual better to wait for the bugs to be shook out as theres sure to be a few. Not an upgrader nor a Seeker here so I cant really mollify any upgrade concerns alas hope thats of help for those planning on taking a leap of faith.
      PS Should just add, for Pro the standard deferment options are still there for now, not had a chance to try the Home deferment options, probably will when the first dodgy patch comes down the chute. As its early days and the inevitable bugs are getting shook out I tend to take the patches as they come. Maybe next month, Patch Tuesday (B) i’ll be trying those defer options as no major Howlers have come out yet fingers crossed.

• #1728223 Reply

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

IMHO it’s time to install 1903 (or 5 or whatever) on a machine you care about when Windows update OFFERS it to your machine.  If you have a SPARE machine, and want to check the new features go for it on a spare machine.

Remember they are using diagnostics to determine when a machine is ready for that update.  So seekers – be careful and always have another machine to get to the web so you can google errors.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #1728224 Reply

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

P.S. remove a SD card from a computer if you want it sooner.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #1728231 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

After all, Microsoft was nice enough to release 1903 yesterday — only for “seekers” who click “Check for updates” at this point — and declare Win10 1809 ready for business/broad deployment, at the same time.

1809 was declared ready for business/broad deployment nearly two months ago, as you told everyone: Microsoft unexpectedly declares Win10 1809 ready for business

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1728581 Reply

MSHawk
      AskWoody Lounger

I downloaded windows 10 1903 late last night to a USB 8 GB flash drive.  My system is:

Operating System:
      Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700 99 °F
      Summit Ridge 14 nm Technology
      RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066 MHz (16-18-18-36)
      Motherboard ASRock X370 Taichi (AM4) 103 °F
      Graphics 2425 W (1920×1080@60Hz)
      K242HL (1920×1080@60Hz)
      8192 MB ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (ASRock)
      105 °F

Storage:
      1863 GB Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 RSD HUA (SATA )103 °F
      465 GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G2B0B-00YS70 (SATA (SSD))101 °F
      238 GB Western Digital WDC WDS256G1X0C-00ENX0 (STA (SSD))
      931 GB Western Digital WD easystore 25 FC USB Device (USB (SATA) )92 °F
      465 GB Seagate USB 3.0 Cable USB Device (USB (SATA) )96 °F

Optical Drives
      HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH14NS40
      HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH12LS35

Audio
      Realtek High Definition Audio

First I disabled all USB drives, turn off Antivirus, Firewall, & all running programs.

Ran the Windows install program, downloaded the updates, Windows install the updates & the install started & took 50 minutes to complete. Then Windows did more updates & then install them. The computer rebooted & windows installed the new updates & re-booted & loaded my desktop  in around 6 seconds. I then shutdown the computer & then turned on all my external USB drives & restarted the computer & had a desktop in 8 seconds. I then turn on Antivirus, Firewall, & all running programs.started all my programs that run with windows. Note with all my programs up & running the boot time is around 9 to 10 seconds!

I check out a few things & ran Microsoft edge with no problems, I don’t use EDGE as I use Google Chrome is your default browser! I have not had time to go through the system as it was 4:30 am when I went too bed! so for so good I left the computer on & it was still going when I return home around 7:00 pm tonight. I will let everyone know if I run into any problems as I check things out tonight!

Ron Ladner

MSHAWK

Edit to remove HTML. Please use the “Text” tab in the entry box when you copy/paste.

• #1730152 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Where is our @Cartoonist Aaron? If you and I can ‘see’ this so clearly, I’m sure he’d be able to draw it…

Remember that advice to format C: ?

• #1739989 Reply

anonymous

A few words of encouragement, if like me you are attempting to run W10, as a possible long term replacement for W7 or W8.1, on an old PC.

Every few months I attempt to “upgrade(?)” a W10 system partition on a spare disk drive to the latest W10 “feature upgrade”, but for the 1st time in this sequence I was unable to get the (new improved) 1809 upgrade to install back in late March. I tried all of the different methods (media creation tool, downloaded .iso, windows update, disconnected as many peripherals as possible, only 1 partition on disk etc. etc.), but it would not get past the 1st reboot when the PC just froze. On power cycling it reverted to the pre-upgrade attempt state.

I finally ran out of patience and assumed that I had come to the end of the W10 line with 1803 for this particular PC. As it is a 2006 late-XP era Acer Aspire 5611 this was not too big a disappointment.

Anyway, prompted by a few threads here in the last few days, I decided to try installing 1903 using the media creation tool, but not wanting to spend too much time or effort on it, I just disconnected as much as possible and selected its default installation (not creating USB or DVD media) and after answering the introductory questions I left it for a few hours to do its thing (or not!).

On returning the display showed a BSOD which although different to 1809 did not look promising. I power cycled expecting it to revert to the previous state (or worse), but instead it showed a 72% installation completion message which took me completely by surprise. It remained on 72% for a long time (maybe 45 minutes?), but there was intermittent disk activity so I left it running and when I next checked it had successfully installed 1903!

So my message is: Just because a W10 version N “upgrade” does not install, this does not necessarily mean that a W10 version N+1 (or N+2 …?) “upgrade” will not install a few months later!

BTW: I have not looked at 1903 in any detail, but it appears to be working OK. The PC boot time is very long (it was in earlier W10 also), but when everything has settled down its responsiveness is reasonably comparable to W7 and W8.1 (as with earlier W10). (Of course I haven’t got many 3rd party programs e.g. AV installed in the W10 partition, so this is not a strictly like for like comparison.) The (wired) network driver works (I needed to download the latest Macrium Reflect 7.2 to make a system partition backup of 1903, because my previous May 2018 version 7.1 gave backup errors (error 9 from memory?) which the Macrium site suggested appeared last autumn presumably with 1809?)

HTH. Garbo.

PS: Of course W10 1903 is not in itself a “possible long term replacement for W7 or W8.1”, that would be W10 2203 or later, but this exercise at least shows that W10 is still in the race 🙂

• #1746021 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Susan Bradley said:

“it’s time to install 1903 (or 5 or whatever) on a machine you care about when Windows update OFFERS it to your machine.

Remember they are using diagnostics to determine when a machine is ready for that update.”

Thanks for that from a credible source. I was going to ask if that had changed, given all the people who seem to be force installing.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1749043 Reply

MWmC
      AskWoody Plus

Good morning from NYC.

I was feeling brave this morning, so i went to the Windows Update site and clicked “update now” from there. [Windows Update wasn’t making the update available to me yet.] I made no special preparations regarding my hard drives (C: is SSD, D: for ‘data’ is a regular hard drive, G: is another SSD drive that i use for caching). I even left on my Norton 360 anti-virus, DropBox, OneDrive instances (2x), and kept my NordVPN connection on as well. [Like i said: brave.]

Darned if this wasn’t one of the smoothest upgrades i’ve ever experienced with Windows. I’ve even noticed one fix: i was one of a number of people with consistent Windows LAN Extensibility problems. Specifically, wlanext.exe would take from 10% to 12% of my CPU, forcing me to kill it from Task Manager after every reboot. (The situation was worse on my old notebook running Win 10.) The online advice about updating drivers, going into safe mode, reinstalling windows (this was also happening on a brand-new machine by the way), and so on never fixed it. But 1903 has. I am forced to assume that Microsoft finally realized it was THEIR problem, and not someone else’s.

Windows is still re-indexing in the background — (Why? EDB file gets zapped on update? New algorithm for better searching?) — but everything else seems fine, from browser use to my PyCharm IDE to Office 365.

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day celebration, and i hope everyone’s updates go as smoothly as mine did.

• #1838452 Reply

JohnW
      AskWoody Plus

“It’s kinda like wearing a red shirt on a Star Trek away team.”

Best analogy EVER!!! 🙂

Maybe it’s time to start a new forum called “Red Shirts” (for “seekers”).

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is it time to install Win10 1903?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.