News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • is my new win 10 computer right

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 is my new win 10 computer right

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        BrianL
        AskWoody Lounger

i gave in after 3 yrs of resistance.  I have purchased a dell 7070 windows 10 pro. I am unpluging my 13 yr old win 7 hp p6000 series. My win 7 has almost quit. I have put all my personal items on a Seagate 1 TB external HHD. Have I done the best thing for an old person?

• #2210280 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

@BrianL-
        You’ve made that leap from Windows 7 to W10! It was an uncertain journey, for me, too… and I, too, am an ‘old person’.

The Dell 7070 has various configurations, but even the lowest spec has at least an i5 9500 processor. Nice choice!

You are going to want to set it up off-line so you can establish a local account and configure privacy options. PKCano has good guidelines for updating settings here. Another reference that will be useful down the line is KB 2000013: How to clear the Windows Update queue in Win10.

Regarding your personal data- if you don’t have 3 copies, you aren’t backed up. It can be that the data is on your hard drive, and on an external drive, and a cloud (not used by me) or DVD or USB copy or another external drive… but the general rule is 3 copies, on at least two different kinds of media, and one should be off-site (in case of tornado, earthquake or other disaster). Set it up so it happens automatically, on a regular schedule.

@Lugh had good information on setting up in this post. The entire thread is titled Setting Up Windows 10 for the First Time, and is a good read.

You are well on your way, with a desktop computer that should provide secure enjoyment for years to come. If you are like me, the change was difficult to contemplate and decide on.

Personally, I do better with Woody’s W10 for Dummy’s book open next to me. I know that W10 is morphing and changing, but it is just easier for me to read and experiment with a book reference than trying to figure out this or that on line. So… for me… in my old age… a reference book was definitely helpful. I can easily look up terminology, understand how a particular part works, what my choices are, and/or Woody’s recommendations. Maybe it is just because I am used to using books, but it has made the W10 transition easier for me. He has never steered me wrong… and I started with XP for Dummies…

When you’ve done the basic set up, updated, etc., you will have a pretty good idea of whether you can work with W10 as it is, or have a strong desire to tweak it to look and act more like Windows 7. Only you can make that decision. Personally I’ve decided to let W10 look like W10, but have made a pretty background, and font/color choices that suit me (just the light/dark options were not enough for me). I did add Everything search, and use it, rather than W10’s. I am spending time I might have used on tweaking W10, to experiment with Linux Mint, and CentOS. I would rather spend the time adapting to and learning a system less subject to Microsoft’s marketing pressures and random changes, than trying to make W10 into the private, stable, good Windows 7 it never can be.

Once you get used to the updating system and are confident you can restore a system image (make one before updating) you should be able to use your new computer comfortably… and it should last you a good, long time! (Well, in computer years…)

I’d be interested in comparing set-up and other W10 experiences.

One last recommendation- keep a record of everything you do to your computer… settings, program and app installations and removals… updating… I write it down, so I have a reference if and when future problems arise. For me, it is far too easy to forget that I did this or that, or exactly what happened when I changed something. If it is written, it can make things so much easier… for an old person, like me!

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2210475 Reply
          BrianL
          AskWoody Lounger

i aam going to follow your instructions. they seem like I could do this. I have underlaying conditions- RRMS for3 30 yrs, but I have not let that stop me. Thanks for your post!  I’ll let you know what happens.

• #2210422 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I have put all my personal items on a Seagate 1 TB external HHD

If you have plenty of space on that disk I would make an image backup of the old machine to it, just in case you missed any personal items – some things you need are not obvious.
        You can use one of the free backup programs, Aomei Backupper, EaseUS ToDo, Paragon Backup etc.

cheers, Paul

• #2210482 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

I believe the way to do Windows 10 is with a new computer. You didn’t say how much memory your computer has; but if it has 8 GB or more, then you will be fine.

I differ with many here at AskWoody in that I don’t believe Microsoft spies on it customers and then sells the information. Rather, whatever info they do collect is used to make Windows better and more secure.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #2210694 Reply
        anonymous

I believe the way to do Windows 10 is with a new computer.

Yes I can concur, upgrading and cleaning up afterwards is still a misery best not tried for impatient humans. Beware of software claiming full Windows 10, some programs like antivirus suites do not like the older (more civil) build version you were using.

• #2211113 Reply
        BrianL
        AskWoody Lounger

my new computer is a 7020 Dell PC with  8GB memory 500GB HHD. I really don’t care about the spieing. Never heard of anyone being hurt by their info collection. I have not had to set up a computer for 13 years so it is going to be a trial for me.

• #2211383 Reply
        BrianL
        AskWoody Lounger

I will thank all who answered my requests. I miss typed the dell computer series as 7070. It is a dell 7020 series. hope that doesnt change the advise. Thanks again. I am going to have to muddle thru slowly and will have no connect with you all while transferring.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: is my new win 10 computer right

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.