News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is NTPWEdit trustworthy?

Home Forums Tools Is NTPWEdit trustworthy?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi all,

Everyone’s familiar with the problem of people forgetting passwords, right? Well, I usually use a Linux-based recovery setup but every now and then would be useful to be able to do this from Windows… and most of the tools for that in a non-“home” setting cost money, which shouldn’t be much of a problem for work, except for the bureaucracy

Now I noticed that there apparently is an open-source Windows GUI port of chntpw at http://cdslow.org.ru/en/ntpwedit/ , but certain kinds of security software throw nasty-looking warnings without much actual substance from that site…

Has anyone looked at it more carefully?

(Oh well. I do have chntpw installed in the WSL part of my Windows 10 work laptop, but sometimes…)

• #1934843 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP
      • #1935819 Reply
        satrow
        AskWoody MVP

The x86 .exe is flagged up as ‘Malware@#79ga6v4fil18’ (no hits found via a search) but only by Comodo.

Almost certainly a false positive, the software’s probably safe.

• #1935969 Reply
        steeviebops
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve used it myself for years so I’m confident that it’s safe.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is NTPWEdit trustworthy?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.