News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is the new Edge any good?

Posted on joep517 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Here’s the opinion of long time tech writer Preston Gralla – Microsoft’s new Edge browser: Third time’s the charm?

--Joe

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2134894 Reply
        AC641
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve spent quite a bit of time using the new Chromium based Edge and I have to say, from a purely usability perspective, I’m impressed.  It’s the quickest browser I have installed (Chrome, Brave, IE & Edge) and the syncing (only some items selected to sync) between my Desktop and Laptop has been perfect.

I rarely used the old version of Edge but this could easily replace Chrome as the preferred browser………..in time!

My only negative observation so far is the excessive space between folders and individual items in the Favourites menu.  This was correctable in Chrome but I haven’t found a way to do it in the new Edge – yet!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2134899 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

I found that incognito mode from browser start wouldn’t work..hmm
          Tried the usual chromium/chrome switches within the shortcut target on someone elses device, to no avail.

Win8.1 Pro | Linux Hybrids | Win7 Pro O/L | WinXP O/L
          • #2134906 Reply
            b
            AskWoody Plus

Edge uses “InPrivate”, not “Incognito”. A shortcut with switch ” –inprivate” starts OK for me.

• #2134908 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

The New Edge is getting rave reviews

What a weird headline to write, but it turns out that new Edge is being much better received than new Coke was back in the 80s. If you didn’t know Microsoft started over with Edge and built it on top of the same engine as Google Chrome AND it turns out they did a pretty amazing job. Lots of my nerd friends, who have been using Chrome for a long time, are making the switch because they say it is faster and has more features they want to use. New things like there are Outlook and Teams apps you can install into ChrEdge (that is its unofficial nickname) are head turners. It seems weird to be writing about a browser but ChrEdge is all the rage so be sure to check it out.

Everything You Need to Know about Office 365 – January 2020

• #2134954 Reply
        Sueska
        AskWoody Lounger

So far, I have positive experiences to report using the New Chromium Edge.
        1) A problem with printing multiple pdf files was fixed. My older Edge browser was set as default for pdf files. With the older Edge browser I could not print multiple pdf pages. Google’s Chrome Browser and third party pdf printers worked without problems. With the new Chromium Edge browser I can now print multiple pdf pages.
        2) As far as I can tell, my settings in the old Edge browser were honored in the new Chromium Edge browser. (i.e site permissions, download location)
        3) I like the new Edge privacy and services settings. There are more privacy control options and they are easier to find and understand.
        Win 10 1909 build 18363.592

b
      • #2134972 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

so far so good with MS Edge Chromium stable version 79.0.309.71 on my Win7/8.1/10 machines

b
      • #2135351 Reply
        eldonHgraham
        AskWoody Plus

I have an extensive list of favorites and when I installed the New Edge yesterday my favorites ended in a TERRIBLE MESS !  Many were missing and there were numerous duplicates.  Those were the problems I could easily see; don’t know what other corruption had occurred.  It would have taken days for me to sort and reorganize them.

Luckily, I had a recent restore point which allowed me to go back to LEGACY EDGE.

Eldon Graham

• #2135362 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Luckily, I had a recent restore point which allowed me to go back to LEGACY EDGE

I don’t use IE11, Edge.. but installed ChrEdge on my Windows 10 Pro 1903 in order to replace Edge which probably won’t get security patches for long and may become a security hazard.

• #2136282 Reply
        John
        AskWoody Lounger

I like it, but have questions as to how behind Microsoft will be on updating the new Edge. Chrome released a new Stable with several security fixes. But so far nothing from Microsoft since end of January. Trouble is a lot of Chrome clone’s suffer from this lag in updates vs Chrome. For now I am sticking with Chrome until I see how well Microsoft addresses the updates.

• #2136297 Reply
        steeviebops
        AskWoody Lounger

Edge uses “InPrivate”, not “Incognito”. A shortcut with switch ” –inprivate” starts OK for me.

Also, the shortcut key is now Ctrl+Shift+N (for iNcognito I assume?) instead of Ctrl+Shift+P as it was in IE and the old Edge.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is the new Edge any good?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.