News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is there a DNS Blackhole in your future?

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Is there a DNS Blackhole in your future?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Tracey Capen
        AskWoody MVP

PRIVACY By Richard Hay Managing your online security and privacy is a never-ending battle. There is a variety of tools for this task, but each has its
        [See the full post at: Is there a DNS Blackhole in your future?]

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2287709 Reply
        PhilInWA
        AskWoody Plus

For those who use ASUS routers there is an easier way to block “bad” sites by DNS blocking. Use Merlin’s firmware and LonelyCoder’s diversion. This is one reason I stick to ASUS routers supported by Merlin. No extra computer or OS to maintain. See https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/ for some detail.

-Phil

• #2287722 Reply
        Terry Duckett
        AskWoody Plus

I run a Pi-Hole in my house as well. I love it.

However the issue I have is that more and more devices are implementing DNS over TLS or DNS over HTTPS. This is a great thing, however to use my Pi-Hole system I have to turn this off, for example, on my Pixel 3a phone when I’m at home and on my wifi.

I want secure DNS when I’m not in my house. I wish there was a way to have it auto-enable/disable based on if I’m at home or not.

• #2288257 Reply
        Perq
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been experimenting with free NextDNS service (https://nextdns.io/) with good results so far. You don’t need to setup a server of your own.

:W10Pro 1909 18363.689
        Dell OptiPlex 990

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is there a DNS Blackhole in your future?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.