• Is there a way to stop updates in W10?

Author
    Topic

Is there a way to stop updates in W10? Something that actually works so that I don’t have to be held hostage by Microsoft’s 35 day long postponement period and broken updates?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

There is some information in AKB2000016 about how Windows Update works in Win10 and some settings to help control the updates (depending on whether you have the Home or Pro Edition). Microsoft’s tool for hiding updates is wushowhide.diagcab, mentioned and linked in this AKB.

There is a third-party program that can be used, WUMgr:
      Beside this guide, you can use the “Search” function on the Main page of this site. There is a lot of information on WUMgr on this site.

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/guide-to-using-wumgr-for-windows-10-updates/

One never wants to stop updates completely.

Browsers for example need to be updated all the time.

Rules of Susan

Don’t use registry cleaners

Don’t overclock or use some hack from a gaming forum

Keep your video card updated.

Not a SINGLE 22H2 at home or the office had a blue screen.  Not a single one – and they are all on 22H2.  So please don’t assume that every update will cause issues.  It does not.  I just hope that you are armed with info so you can be proactive.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

Thank you both very much. I am currently on 21H2 and the current bsod problem with KB5021233 is rattling my nerves a bit. I am most eagerly awaiting a fix as the date where windows will update on its own approaches.

It’s not widespread.

If you have a backup of your computer you are protected.

You can visually eyeball the two files and see if you may have an issue.

I seem to only have the 10.0.19041.2251 version in system32/drivers. I cannot see the file in system 32, I assume it is not supposed to be a hidden file.

I seem to only have the 10.0.19041.2251 version in system32/drivers. I cannot see the file in system 32, I assume it is not supposed to be a hidden file.

There are several different topics with in depth discussions about this specific issue here on AskWoody. I’d suggest you start with…

Several Windows 10 versions affected by blue screen issue

And no, normally hidparse.sys is not a hidden file.

Already following them and checking them several times a day. 🙂

And great, then there are no hidden gremlins I have to look out for!

Thank you very much for your reply!

If you have just the one then you will not have issues.  The issue only occurs if there are two and there is a mismatch.

When I see it predominantly on reddit, not on here much and not on patchmanagement.org that tells me it’s not widespread, probably gamer and most definitely third party issue.

Another method I’ve been using for years is sordum.org’s small, free, portable Windows Update Blocker.

It couldn’t be simpler to use. Click to block until a time that suits you; click to unblock (although a reboot helps) when you want to update.

Note that whilst active, Windows Update Blocker does not prevent Defender *definition* updates, only Defender *engine* updates.

(The definition updates will suffer a slight delay as Defender first tries several times to use the normal Windows Update mechanism of Update Orchestrator but will then fallback to using BITS instead whilst Windows Update is disabled.)

5 users thanked author for this post.

I much prefer a 3rd party firewall to block WU when not required. block and release when needed. YMMV

Win8.1/R2 Hybrid lives on...
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    Reply To: Is there a way to stop updates in W10?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: