News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is this patch, aka “ubuntu-system-adjustments”, legit? (Linux Mint)

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux – all distros Is this patch, aka “ubuntu-system-adjustments”, legit? (Linux Mint)

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I got a patch in my update manager that is named ubuntu-system-adjustments with version being “2019.6.29.1”.  It claims to disable Firefox Telemetry. I wonder if it has to do with my Firefox ESR 69.11?  Anyay, is it safe?

Thanks,

Picky

• #2285485 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I take it you are using Mint?

If so, it is a legitimate, if perhaps somewhat controversial, part of Mint. It’s in one of these system adjustments that Mint blocks snap packages by default, a decision that some individuals think is absurd, while others (like me) can see the rationale.  It’s only a change in the default… users can enable snap capability if they want it. That’s the point… if they want it, they can turn it on, accepting the reduced control over updates this implies, but it won’t just happen without the user doing anything as it would in Ubuntu.

I can’t see the changelog for the package in question, so I can’t tell what you mean about Firefox telemetry.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.20.3 User Edition)

• #2285575 Reply
          anonymous

Yes, I am using Linux Mint.

I am surprised that you can’t see the changelog. That is where I got the mention of disabling the Firefox Telemetry.  That was the only thing in the changelog.

Thank you for your reply 🙂 I think I will wait a week and see how the things shakes out then I will decide if I want to install or not. I did my best to turn off the firefox telemtry but I may have missed a few or I could not turn off via about:config.  If that is truly all the patch does then I have no objection to it, lol.

Picky

• #2285579 Reply
            Ascaris
            AskWoody_MVP

It’s not that something is wrong with my setup or anything like that… I can’t see the changelog because I am not using Mint.  The package in question is a Mint specific thing, and while I did search for a changelog online, I didn’t find one.

I do have a Mint test environment on my G3, but that was the same PC I was using to write the message.

The distro I use, KDE Neon (which is also based on Ubuntu LTS, like Mint, but currently it’s 18.04) has one package that appears to be KDE’s version of that package, neon-settings.  It’s received a bunch of updates lately, though it is my guess that it has to do with the upcoming rebase of Neon to 20.04.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2285496 Reply
        DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

FWIW, I installed that patch yesterday on three machines running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. But note that my new version was 2019.7.29.1, not 2019.6.29.1. I don’t remember what the changelog said about it, but it does appear to be safe.

Along with the above patch I installed about a week’s worth of patches with the exception of a grub2 patch which I believe might cause boot problems. See

https://www.zdnet.com/article/boothole-fixes-causing-boot-problems-across-multiple-linux-distros/

• #2285547 Reply
          Ascaris
          AskWoody_MVP

I just tried booting Windows 10 from the GRUB menu (on the G3) with secure boot enabled, and it worked just fine with the most recent GRUB update, FWIW. I’m using KDE Neon, based on Ubuntu 18.04 currently.

If you have secure boot off or if you only want to load Linux, apparently, you won’t see the issue. The problem I saw described only seems to be an issue with secure boot and booting Windows.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2285592 Reply
            DrBonzo
            AskWoody Plus

At the risk of going a bit off-topic, I’m somewhat confused about the grub2 patch.

Said patch was not offered to my sole boot Ubuntu 18.04 machine.

Said patch was offered to three Mint Cinnamon 19.2 machines, two of which are dual boot with Win 7 and the third of which is just a single boot. All three of these machines came with either Vista or Win 7 installed on them.

I think I’m using the correct terminology, but just to be clear, when I say single or sole boot, I mean there is only one operating system on the machine. When I say dual boot I mean there are two operating systems on the machine but that only one OS at a time is capable of running – in other words I have to shut down the computer and reboot if I want to change the OS.

All that said, it sounds that you think there shouldn’t be a problem with the grub2 patch in my circumstances? I know I’m being pretty cautious here, but I’m pretty new at Linux and while I don’t mind experimenting a bit, right now I need these machines to work.

• #2285588 Reply
        firemind
        AskWoody Lounger

I installed the system adjustments patch and haven’t seen any issues so far over all (LM20). I did have that rare Firefox tab fail for the first time in ages but that’s probably due to the upgrade to Ff 79.

I installed the Grub2 patch the other day and haven’t had any problems but then I don’t think I have secure boot. This patch arrived to fix grub issues (I will install it later):

grub2 (2.04-1ubuntu26.2) focal; urgency=medium

* debian/postinst.in: Avoid calling grub-install on upgrade of the grub-pc
        package, since we cannot be certain that it will install to the correct
        disk and a grub-install failure will render the system unbootable.
        LP: #1889556.

• #2287235 Reply
        anonymous

So, all is good with this patch, correct? I just wanted to check to be sure before I install this patch.  Thank you very much for your replies 😀

Picky

• #2287246 Reply
          DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

FWIW, on 7/31 and 8/7 I installed all patches except the grub 2 updates offered to me on a total of 4 machines: one runs only Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, one runs only Mint 19.2, and two can boot into either Win 7 or Mint 19.2.

Regarding the grub 2 patches, there was the original patch which was followed by a regression. You can find both here by scrolling down a bit: https://ubuntu.com/security/notices – the regression is from 8/4 and the original is from 7/29. I installed all of these last night, 8/7, and tested all possible system boots.

No problems or issues with any of the above.

Note: my grub 2 patches were labeled as grub2 (pc/BIOS version). All of the above machines originally came with either Vista or Win 7 installed on them, so no UEFI to the best of my knowledge. I don’t know how presence or absence of UEFI affects the grub patches.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by DrBonzo.
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is this patch, aka “ubuntu-system-adjustments”, legit? (Linux Mint)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.