News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is this the greatest fantasy/horror show ever?

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff Is this the greatest fantasy/horror show ever?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

On the very last day of 2019 and looking forward to life post-Windows 7 EOL, what better way to ring in the NY than starting this thread, destined to illuminate the minds of fellow loungers and anonymous visitors, with the nomination of the best ever fantasy/horror TV show? (You might defend here your favorite Netflix, Amazon, etc. videos, if you wish, but keeping in mind that we are considering the broad sweep of TV history here).

And the indisputable winner in both categories is: Buffy!

Which other show in this category is studied at universities and even high schools around the world by people taking “Pop Culture Studies” as an easy optional? “Black Mirror” fans, read these two articles and despair!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer

And “Buffy” courses being offered at some universities even I have heard of (e.g. Brunel U in London)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_studies

Also: which show ever, before or since, has had an episode where two unlikely lovers (one of them not really human) get mutually enthusiastic in an abandoned house and bring it down with their rapturous activities?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2038478 Reply
        anonymous

I was surprised to stumble across a possibly friendly discussion on the merits of the “real Buffy” or the “first Buffy”. Opinions were surprisingly emphatic, difficult to interpret sincerity from the sans serif font.

Do you prefer Sarah Michelle Gellar or Kristy Swanson? I had only known the film version, and found there was a lot of support for the extended development allowed in the TV series.

Without that experience, and reviewing feature films only, I would mention Labyrinth, and Dark Crystal, for Fantasy emphasis with humorous scary story underneath. Horror would be another discussion entirely.

But for overall enjoyment, you have to start all comparisons with The Princess Bride. “As you wish.”

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2038510 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Anonymous, I was referring to the seven-season TV series from late ’98 through 2005 conceived and directed by Joss Whedon. Since I have not seen the movie that preceded it, have no opinion to offer about it.

Now “Buffy” (the TV series) was a mix of fantasy and horror, although leavened with plenty of humor and never-before seen on TV things such as its famous all-singing “Once more with feeling” episode in Season 6, where a Demon comes into Buffy’s hometown and compels the people of the imaginary Sunnydale, California to break into song.

As to Jim Henson’s “The Dark Crystal’, it was an extraordinary achievement of the “Muppets” animation masters, and now it has a follow-on Netflix series called “The Dark Crystal, Age of Resistance”, also from the Henson company, that is an honorable prequel to the original movie.

And indeed, “The Princess Bride” is one of the best comedies of all time, although not in competition here, because this thread is (or I thought it was?) about TV shows, including more recent streaming ones from Netflix and etcetera.

• #2039039 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

“Black Mirror” fans, read these two articles and despair!

I have read and didn’t despair. I vote for the first 2 seasons of Black Mirror which speaks our current language.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mirror

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Alex5723.
      • #2039041 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Carnivale.

cheers, Paul

• #2039307 Reply
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

Just added it to my que, thanks Paul.
          Re Buffy, Horror not in your sense Oscar 😁 , I detest true Horror shows, when they label themselves as SCIFI especially. I did watch some Buffy but erratically, maybe on of these days I may revisit the series. I am still mulling the TV fantasy category, the mind works slow these days…

That very first Black Mirror kinda killed my enthusiasm for the show. Bad lead off, if they considered that their best showcase .. well 😧

Looking forward to more opinions from AWers 🙂

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • #2191020 Reply
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

Paul
          Just another thanks, really liking Carnivale.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
          1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2191084 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

I just checked where one can get “Carnivale” from, and found out the first two seasons are available “for free” to subscribers of Amazon Prime, and that DVDs, also from these two seasons, are also available for sale at Amazon.

I also have looked to part of the first episode, perhaps also the pilot (?), and I must say that the creators of the show were definitely trying to put their best foot first there. Even the titles’ sequence is very impressive.

• #2191110 Reply
              wavy
              AskWoody Plus

also on netflix
              but it was supposed to be a 3 season that was cancelled, bummer (:

🍻

• #2191129 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

Wavy, I looked for it in Netflix before checking out Amazon, but got nothing in return, only a bunch of other “suggested for you” horror shows that did not look they are really “for me” (as usual — isn’t “AI” just great?).

Cancelled before its time? That is just about the highest recommendation any TV show can have, so that’s great! — except for the producers, directors, writers and actors, that is.

• #2191144 Reply
                wavy
                AskWoody Plus

it is under the dvd section, it may be if you do not subscribe you do not see it

🍻

• #2195607 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

Wavy, yes I subscribe both to streaming and DVD (they have movies on DVD that are hard to find in online stores such as Amazon.) Also DVD movies are not subject so much to the movie studios pulling out their shows from Netflix by not agreeing to renew the contracts, (e.g. Disney’s decision to do that with all their movies, because they have set up their own online service and want to show their movies there. This is a chronic problem with streaming.

• #2039355 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

wavy: ‘Horror’ means vampires attacking people at night in cemeteries, where Buffy was first kicked around by the Ubervampire “Big Bad”, early in Season One and, shortly after, Willow and Xander had a similar unfortunate encounter she rescued them from. Plenty of suspense and chills right there. Not to mention the Sunnidale Mayor eating black crab-like creatures in preparation for his “ascension” to a huge snake-like evil, high-school-graduates-eating monster. And the supervillain, women-hating, defrocked priest and serial killer Caleb (Nathan Fillion) that had Buffy and the would-be slayers both at bay and in dire peril until she chopped him in half (lengthwise) with that magic axe-like thing he had been hiding in his cellar that just happened to be the ultimate weapon against the demons and vampires massing for a final attack from the Hellmouth beneath Sunnydale’s High towards the end of Season Seven….

And let’s not forget that she died, not once, but twice during the series, under particularly harrowing circumstances, and was brought back to life, the second time, using dubious magical means, by super-witch and her BFF, Willow, during an attack on Sunnydale by a rampaging gang of vampire bickers attracted by the news that she was dead!

In fact, the whole series came to be out of the idea Joss Whedon had of turning a B-movies cliche around: “Little young girl goes into a dark alley at night, where there is a monster waiting for any one unfortunate enough to try using it as a shortcut…” Something that Buffy, being the only “Chosen One” of her generation (although unknown understudies were waiting in the wings, just in case) with her special superpowers, was more than a match for… Usually. As she explained once: “Slayers’ job turnover is high.” By introducing to TV-land a brave female superhero with a heart, a sense of humor and a real personality, Whedon started something unprecedented in public entertainment that is still with us, and how!

• #2039363 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

And lest we forget, when she died for the second time, her friends had her tombstone inscribed with this legend:

“She saved the world. A lot.”

• #2039412 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

👹 🦇 😬
        And it certainly had the audience to keep it going. Enjoy the reruns Oscar 🙂. Pretty barren time of the year for broadcast shows…

🍻

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by wavy.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is this the greatest fantasy/horror show ever?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.