News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Is updating from1803 to 20H2 normally slow

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Is updating from1803 to 20H2 normally slow

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        Tony H
        AskWoody Plus

My secondary laptop announced yesterday that I need to update Windows 10 as it had reached its ‘end of life’. So I bit the bullet and clicked on the check for updates. this was at 11:40 am. It finally finished updating from ver 1803 to ver 20H2 at 22:50. A total of  11 hours and 10 minutes. Now I know the machine is about 5 years old and the wf-fi is not particularly the best in that room, but it seemed to me to be a long time to update.

Is it normally that slow? I ask because my primary machine (ver 1909) will need to update soon.

Thanks for reading.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

There are too many variables to judge upgrade duration, like : PC hardware (CPU, RAM..) running AV app in the background (you should disable/pause/uninstall AV app during upgrade), Internet connection speed (Windows download is ~5GB + any monthly updates), OS installed on SSD or slow HDD..

The preferred route will be to download 20H2 ISO file using MCT, Heidoc.net, Rufus..
        Disconnecting from the Internet, mount/double-click on the ISO file and running setup.exe.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Yes, that’s normal: the updates are sequential, the OS was (4) updates behind, (2) of those major: so the OS updated to 1903, 1909, 2004, then 20H2.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

it IS to be expected

doing a feature update from 1803 to 20H2 feels like a full OS upgrade which should take quite long, no matter what kind of hardware being used

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Tony H
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you for your informative and helpful advice. One more question though: is it possible to separate the two updates I am expecting and install them over separate days, using the inbuilt update service? After the last experience and although my primary machine is faster, I’m expecting the two updates to take about 4 – 5 hours at least.

Thanks

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

so the OS updated to 1903, 1909, 2004, then 20H2.

No, it does not. The update is 1803 to 20H2.

b
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

is it possible to separate the two updates

If you update while online, Windows will install everything with very little intervention.
        Up to you how you want to do it.

cheers, Paul

Tony H
        AskWoody Plus

I think I have just answered my own question. My primary machine updated to 20H2 yesterday. This machine is newer, faster, has more memory, and more disc space. It took 10 hours 40 minutes. This machine was updating from 1909 to 20H2.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Tony H.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

It took 10 hours 40 minutes.

What is your Internet connection speed ?
        What are the specs of the PC ?

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Is updating from1803 to 20H2 normally slow

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.