News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Is Windows 11 going to be better on networking?

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » Is Windows 11 going to be better on networking?

Author
    Topic

In Windows 7 most of my network machines could “see” each other.  It also had a good network mapping feature to help troubleshoot problems.  In Windows 10 this is problematical at best.  Is Windows 11 going to resolve this problem so that all machines in the same network in the same work group will be able to see each other?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I suppose you are all in the same workgroup and you have properly set IP addresses and folders are shared. Lets skip this and proceed step further. You should enable SMB protocol (which gets disabled by certain update) in the

Control Panels > Programs and features > Turn Windows features on or off

I think it was discussed on this forum few times already, but I cant find it right now.
      I think it would be appropriate to create KB article here on AskWoody how to set up home sharing.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

In Windows 10 this is problematical at best.

Windows 11 isn’t better.
      I use Windows 10 and years ago I gave up fixing failed sharing after every Windows update so I stopped sharing and just set fixed address to the devices / folders and I manually copy files from one device to the other.

Is Windows 11 going to resolve this problem so that all machines in the same network in the same work group will be able to see each other?

Most probably not.

Looking at what’s been going on over the last ~6 years, many comments indicate a feeling that Microsoft has merely ‘dropped the ball’. IMO the gradual crippling of Windows’ home networking functionality is entirely deliberate.

If you think about it, there is no longer any benefit to Microsoft to make home networking ‘easy to use’ and as functional as Windows 7.

In many ways, Windows 10 home networking ‘ease of use’ works against Microsoft when there is a far more profitable alternative like OneDrive (especially when tied to Office’s subscription services).

As such, I very much doubt Windows 11 will improve the situation.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Is Windows 11 going to be better on networking?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.