News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • It takes me 3 min. to open askwoody.com

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Rants It takes me 3 min. to open askwoody.com

Topic Resolution: Not a Question

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by

lylejk 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

In the last couple of days It takes me 3 min. to open askwoody.com and 2+ min. to open a topic.
      It is close to unusable.:-(

• #401857 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

As you probably saw Woody post a day or two ago, the merge is underway, and that is the cause of the slow site. It may be a few days before this process finishes and the indexing bots have done their bit, so there will not be a quick resolution.

Again, we ask your patience… thanks.

We’ve hit a few minor problems, and the site’s been slow, but so far everything seems to be on track.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #411742 Reply

Exfso
        AskWoody Lounger

Yep me too, I gathered it was due to the change, basically unusable at present, will give it 24 hrs or so and see if it improves.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #412287 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

Those of us scurrying around behind the scenes feel your pain, believe me.

Here’s a little math quiz I gave my son:

• It take about 3 seconds to import a Topic
          • We have somewhere close to 180,000 Topics

When will the Topic import finish?

And remember when the Topics are done we have close to a million Replies yet to come.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #419969 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

540 000 seconds for the topics.
      3 000 000 seconds for the replies.
      Will it be over before Easter?

cheers, Paul

• #421257 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

HA!

I sure hope the Replies go faster… I’d get outta the car and push, but I’m not sure how to do that.

(BTW, the site got much faster about two hours ago. Not sure why that happened, but it seems to be much better right now.)

• #422389 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Or 6.25 days for the topics and almost 35 days for the replies.

So, it won’t be over before Easter, but right now, at least, things are moving reasonably fast.

• #426971 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

Loaded fast for me today. No problem.

• #427730 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Yes, things are moving a bit faster now.

• #429063 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

Been away most of the day and I was pleasantly surprised at how much faster it is. I see that the topics are still coming in as well….

• #455110 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Any news on the old WSL broken URL?

cheers, Paul

• #518762 Reply

lylejk
      AskWoody Lounger

Don’t believe it’s 3 minutes but the site does appear to be a bit slow.   Hopefully soon all will be well.   🙂

• #519447 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Almost there.

• #1753875 Reply

lylejk
          AskWoody Lounger

Today, for the first time, the site’s now spiffy, Woody.  I click and get to a link near instantaneous as would you expect instead of the long delay.  Kudos to the web developers.   🙂

• #521451 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Any news on the old WSL broken URL? cheers, Paul

It automatically goes to https://www.askwoody.com/windows-secrets-landing-page/

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• #960933 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

It takes roughly 15 seconds to open a page today regardless of what I click on here at askwoody.com. I rebooted my router to see if that might improve things by changing my IP address but it didn’t (although the IP did change). I’m on AT&T DSL at the moment but I get a similar delay of ten to fifteen seconds when using Comcast.
      Any suggestions?

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #961877 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Yes, my suggestion is “be patient.” We are in the process of merging over 1,000,000 posts (count the zeros!) from Windows Secrets Lounge in order to preserve the host of data that was there before it shut down. We’re taking a performance hit while doing it, but right now is is top priority.

It may be a few more days before it’s over, so hang in there.

• #964441 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

For regular visitors, cut your total delay to under 30 seconds:

1. Make one of the choices under Search for Topics in the right-side Woody panel your shortcut to AskWoody. Mine is New posts since last visit, you can just copy that if you like—as long as you’re automatically logged in each time you visit [tick the ‘remember me’ box].

2. When that comes up after 15 seconds, open the extra pages in new tabs—there are often 2-3 pages of new posts when I drop by, will be more if you don’t visit daily.

3. Now scan the topics and open those of interest in a new tab—use the little white arrow in brown circle just to the right of the topic title, unless the topic is ‘unread’.

That’ll cut your total delay to 1+2 above, as plenty of pages will have loaded when you finish 3.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: It takes me 3 min. to open askwoody.com

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.