• It’s Happy Sysadmin Day!

Home » Forums » Newsletter and Homepage topics » It’s Happy Sysadmin Day!

Author
    Topic

It’s the 23rd annual sysadmin day and I’d like to include everyone who handles their own technology in their home as part of that “happy” appreciation
    [See the full post at: It’s Happy Sysadmin Day!]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Thanks Susan for acknowledging we home users of technology, and thanks also to the whole team here (and other teams elsewhere) who provide the assistance and advice without which trying to get a grip on home technology would be so much more difficult if not impossible!

That appreciation extends to fellow commenters who chip in from time to time with their own experiences along with their own words of wisdom. Communities such as this one enable some of us to keep our systems running despite the challenges that companies like Microsoft, Google and others keep throwing at us!

3 users thanked author for this post.

In other news – I didn’t realize that 2022 is the year that George Jetson was born!

Can flying Tesla’s be too far behind?

Ever since I found out that The Jetsons was a cartoon preview of what it would be like in 2062 (100 years from 1962) I’ve doubted that we’ll be anywhere close to that far advanced by then.  In 1962, however, I can understand why people would think that’s how it might be.

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake as soon as you make it again.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Yay, flying cars by 2062!!! 🙂

Yay, flying cars by 2062!!!

No, maybe way sooner.

Flying car could be weeks away from takeoff

Dana:))

In the Metaverse maybe.  Next chance you get, take a look at the cover of the latest Time magazine.

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake as soon as you make it again.

In the Metaverse maybe.

I’m sorry. Does this mean you don’t believe that flying cars do exist? Check the Internet, there are numerous ones. This article is about a company getting FFA license to sell them.

Next chance you get, take a look at the cover of the latest Time magazine.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand that at all.

…a company getting FFA license to sell them.

Did you mean to say FAA license in your post above??

Just trying to avoid confusion on anyone’s part who might read these posts.

If you read this post soon enough after posting your post I quoted above, you might very well be able to edit the post if what I quoted above is indeed a typo.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Bob99.

FAA is correct…typo.

too late to edit

Does this mean you don’t believe that flying cars do exist? Check the Internet, there are numerous ones.

Drcard:))  Please don’t take offense. I just don’t think that these experimental “flying cars” which are actually small airplanes and require a pilots license to operate come anywhere near what George Jetson is flying around.  His “car” not only takes him to work, but can also take him and his family to Saturn, and it’s practical too, apparently everyone can afford one.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand that at all.

The cover of the latest Time magazine I just got in the mail shows a artist’s idea of some of the things that can be done in the Metaverse.  I didn’t know it when I wrote my post but i think they (Time) had two covers.  I don’t know why they do that but they do.  If you saw the picture of the woman basketball player I can understand your confusion.

I think they have a pretty good article explaining the Metaverse in this issue.

I’ve been the sysadmin at my house for as long as I can remember.

One of the best things to ever come along was wireless printers and wireless scanners. It wasn’t that long ago when it wasn’t so easy to achieve wireless printing or scanning without spending a lot of money; but now wireless is the default, and it is super easy to achieve.

No room on your desk for the printer? No problem; set it on a small table or in the next room! No need to run a wire to it!

Another fantastic thing that has come along is a networked hard drive, either installed in a computer or connected on its own to the router. You can finally store literally everything on the networked drive, and it is available to all computers on your network. Again, very easy to achieve these days.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM

Too often vendors assume that home users don’t need options, or need set up to be hidden by or only done with apps and phones.

For a long time we rented a modem/router from our ISP. But I found that I couldn’t access all options; and the rental unit was an older model. So I bought a modem from the ISP, and connected my own router. Now all options are available to me.

Actually, there’s an update to this story. We now use Comcast as our ISP, and once again we rent a modem/router from the ISP. Problem now is that a Comcast-compatible modem is very expensive; so for now, I’ll just stick with the Comcast rental modem/router. I haven’t yet dug around in the modem, so I don’t know what I might be missing; but so far, I’m happy with what I have.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM

Sysadmins have been essential to keep our Web connected and our computing-based modern world functioning smoothly.

There is a 2006 short story by noted science-fiction author Cory Doctorow this “Sysadmins’ Week” brings to mind:

“When the Sysadmins Ruled the Earth”:

https://rhapsodistreviews.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/rewired-16/

Felix Tremont is a systems administrator who gets called away at one in the morning to fix a crashed server for a financial company. However, he and the other sysadmins soon find themselves stuck at the office when a worldwide catastrophe strikes, a combination of bio- and cyberterrorism that wipes out thousands of human lives and crashes most of the civilized world. With his wife and newborn son gone, Felix is one of the surviving tech geeks responsible for maintaining the Internet–now a vital resource in the post-apocalyptic scenario–though it tasks their survival instincts when supplies starts to run low. Eventually, after several conflicts on the Web and in the office, Felix and his partner Van set out to see what’s still salvageable in the outdoor world and if they can fix it as well as they’ve tried to fix the Web.

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

Love the home user sysadmin label! I’ve been one for 3 decades. Friends & family, friends of friends, neighbors, radio stations, and even in the last two weeks it feels like I’ve been living on Anydesk. You know that feeling?

I never considered myself a “sysadmin”, but I knew enough to be considered the person to ask for help where I once worked.  I used to love it when a person was having a problem and I would check a few things, then reboot their computer.  Like magic it was fixed.  Ah, the good old days!

I received this sysadmin photo from a work colleague – I thought it was funny

Happy-SysAdmin-appreciation-day

As we sometimes like to say – Every joke has a little bit of funny.

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing - Werner Von Braun

5 users thanked author for this post.

Flintstones beat Jetsons like the Los Angeles Dodgers now dominate baseball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dYTgjQV_0w

R.I.P. Vin Scully — we miss you deeply and we’ll see you again on the other side!

The Flintstone car was a bit hard on the feet, but I liked it when Fred yelled Yabba-Dabba-Doo.

But not a word, so far, about dyno? For shame!

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

Viewing 11 reply threads
    Reply To: It’s Happy Sysadmin Day!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: