News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • January 2021 updates are here

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog January 2021 updates are here

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Da Boss

So this is the time of the Patch Tuesday that I call “Reading time”.  I start reading all the security blogs about patching and start seeing if there
        [See the full post at: January 2021 updates are here]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

3 users thanked author for this post.
        PKCano
        Da Boss

AKB 2000003 has been updated for Group B Win7 (ESU) and Win8.1 on January 12, 2021.

There is a Security-only Update for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.
        There was no January IE11 CU for Win7.

January Rollup KB4598279 Download 32-bit or 64-bit for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.

You must have at least the August Servicing Stack KB4570673 previously installed to receive these updates).
        The latest is the December Servicing Stack KB4592510 – Download 32-bit or 64-bit for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.

There is a revised Licensing Preparation Package KB4575903 dated 7/29/2020 for Win7 ESU subscriptions, if you need it.

There are .NET updates listed for Win7. See #2331747.

4 users thanked author for this post.
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

There is a January Servicing Stack

Where is the January SSU for Windows 7 ESU?
          kb4592510 is the SSU from December 2020..

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created Pebcak
          1 user thanked author for this post.
            PKCano
            Da Boss

Ooops. It is Dec. – corrections made.

WCHS
            AskWoody Plus

Is there a January SSU for Version 1909?

b
              AskWoody Plus
                WCHS
                AskWoody Plus

But, I see only “Windows 10 1909/Windows Server, version 1909” there. I don’t see any non-server Windows 10, version 1909.

Thanks for the link. I will know where to look in the future now.

WCHS
                AskWoody Plus

I mis-spoke. After scrolling down to the CVSS section in that link, I find 4598479 for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems. It doesn’t appear in the upper SSU section.

What’s the difference between SSUs and CVSSs?

ghacks.net doesn’t list it.

anonymous

Thank you for doing that but I rarely keep up here. Reading about problems all the time increases anxiety out of proportion to reality. Instead,  the week before patches are released is my patch time. Before biting the bullet, I search for the KB number. Usually, dust is settled due to those who discover problems early by intent or otherwise.  My thanks to the victims and those who proceed cautiously via VM,  as well.

Susan Bradley
          Da Boss

You don’t have to read… I read and watch for you 🙂

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

6 users thanked author for this post.
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

Regarding CVE-2021-1647, if someone uses a 3rd party AV solution that disables Defender/ Windows Defender/ Microsoft Defender (OS dependant), how do MS update the integrated security solutions if disabled? I get the impression these need to be active to receive an update..

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created Pebcak
        anonymous

AKB 2000003 has been updated for Group B Win7 (ESU) and Win8.1 on January 12, 2021.

There is a Security-only Update for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.
        There was no January IE11 CU for Win7.

January Rollup KB4598279 Download 32-bit or 64-bit for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.

You must have at least the August Servicing Stack KB4570673 previously installed to receive these updates).
        The latest is the December Servicing Stack KB4592510 – Download 32-bit or 64-bit for those with Win7 ESU subscriptions.

There is a revised Licensing Preparation Package KB4575903 dated 7/29/2020 for Win7 ESU subscriptions, if you need it.

There are .NET updates listed for Win7. See #2331747.

There is also a Security update for the forgotten OS Windows 8.1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4535680/security-update-for-secure-boot-dbx

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

While 1809, 1903, 1909 have : Fixed an issue with chkdsk /f potentially damaging the file system.
        Windows 2004, 20H2 doesn’t have this fix.

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/12/microsoft-windows-security-updates-january-2021-overview/

b
        AskWoody Plus

I like the prompt to set active hours. That could/should have been done years ago.

WUjan2021

Attachments:
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

I got the same two updates shown in your graphic, Malicious Software Removal Tool and

KB4598242 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems

I didn’t get the prompt for active hours, probably because I’ve had mine set from the git-go with Windows 10.

Did the reboot, and all is well, no hiccups.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
            AskWoody Plus

Likewise. 

bbearren
            AskWoody MVP

I got the same two updates shown in your graphic, Malicious Software Removal Tool and KB4598242 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems

Just updated the B side (very much non-supported by Microsoft) of my dual boot, no hiccups, but much faster installation that on my A side.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
            "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
            "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

Long live Office 2010 🙂

4 users thanked author for this post.
          L95
          AskWoody Plus

I agree with abbodi86.  Windows Updates has offered me four updates for Office 2010,  and I’m really thankful for that, because it means I don’t have to spend any time this month dealing with security updates for my Office 2010 (such as upgrading to a newer version of Office).   I can use the time instead to go through the installation process for my second year of  Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESUs).   I’ve paid the money,  but I haven’t installed them yet, and it seemed kind of time-consuming when I installed them one year ago for the first year of ESUs, and so I’m expecting that it will take some time to deal with that.

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

Yeah; I go where angel’s fear to tread and installed this month’s patches; took unusually longer then usual, but all installed (I do have an older machine which might explain some of this).    🙂

WCHS
        AskWoody Plus

What is KB4535680 Security Update for Windows 10 version 1909 for x64-based Systems for Secure Boot DBX? I read MS-Catalog 4535680 1909. The update has some problems with BitLocker and the MS bulletin has workarounds (or no workaround = contact your firmware OEM).

I have BitLocker available on my system, but it is not activated.

Maybe, I should just keep it hidden??

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

Important note – the KB4598229 update is for 1909 only
        https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4598229/windows-10-update-kb4598229

this update will not install on (nor is applicable to) 1903 because obviously 1903 went out of support in Dec. 2020

abbodi86
          AskWoody_MVP

It can be installed via Dism on 1903

but it’s not advisable to install the update manually
          leave it to WU to detect if your device is compatible

EP
            AskWoody_MVP

bad idea to install it thru dism on 1903 though
            MS should have put more “safeguards” to prevent that circumvention

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

I usually only patch one device as a testbed, however, it’s been a busy day updating.
        With system images done, and against the grain of the askwoody ethos, to hold off…
        I’ve patched with no adverse issues on three Win8.1 Pro x64 and one Win7 Pro x86 device.
        Local Pixma printer/ scanner working, no errors in event viewer and no further telemetry in either OS.
        SFC reports no violations, (didn’t have time to do screenshots, take it or leave it)
        Bring on February Patch Tuesday 🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.
          DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

@microfix – were you offered KB4535680, and if so, did you install it? Seems like it’s a stand-alone update for Win 8.1 and also some versions of Win 10 (there are a couple of posts above about it and Win 10).

I’m on Win 8.1 and I’m always pretty leery of stand-alone patches. I’m tempted to hide it since the way I read it, physical access is required to exploit the vulnerability.

Has anybody else dealt with it?

2 users thanked author for this post.
            Susan Bradley
            Da Boss

Yes in the patchmanagement.org venue it caused double reboots on hyperV as well as “paused” virtual machines.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

@DrBonzo, yup kb4535680 was offered post CU patch kb4598285 installation via WU re-check.
            Weighed around 90kb and installed it. No adverse effects here.

Jan2021

more info over on BleepingComputer

Attachments:
              WCHS
              AskWoody Plus

If I am reading Bleeping Computer correctly, there is no advice to hide it (or avoid running it), although Susan at #2333320 says she would do so.

Any update on this advice?

anonymous

Yes. Wait and see if the problems it causes are widespread.
                It hasn’t been out long enough for your question yet, much less the answer to it. We are just beginning to get reports.
                That is what the DEFCON system and Susan’s hesitancy is all about.

Microfix
                AskWoody MVP

that reads familiar, and wise for those who are unsure.

fracky
        AskWoody Lounger

Office 2011 has excel issue, still not resolved for 2012. We’re stuck to 2010 for the meantime I guess

anonymous

Hi, I have never done a feature update and am not a techie. On my windows 10 pro version 1909 I have used wushowhide and hid KB4535680. When time comes after installing January updates (KB4598229 and KB890830) can I upgrade to version 2004 with KB4535680 hidden?

Susan Bradley
          Da Boss

Yes.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

EP
            AskWoody_MVP

note that KB4535680 update has some known issues

one of them is that some OEM firmware may block the KB4535680 update from installing and MS suggests contacting the firmware OEM for more info.

JCpharm
        AskWoody Plus

Does CU KB4598229 for version 1909 hold as well during MS- DEFCON 2 period?

Win10 Pro version 1909

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

that should be ok to install as KB4598229 is from November 2019
          scratch that, read the date wrong..HOLD!

• This reply was modified 2 days, 3 hours ago by Microfix.
        anonymous

Hi there,

I’m using Win 10 Home version 1909 (I have not download and install Win 10 version 20H2 yet) and I have installed KB4535680, KB4598229 and KB890830 (only 3 appear ready to update). It was a slow update but then I noticed when I restart the computer after installing the updates that it shows in stages. It shows up as “Stage 1 out of 3” while it was configuring the update but doesn’t complete the rest of the stages (only completed the first stage), even after I restart the computer again and checking for updates but nothing comes out. In the days since then, I noticed that Windows Update doesn’t auto-check the updates every day and that I have to manually check for updates. I’m not sure whether or not this week’s Windows update has something got to do with not auto-checking updates on my computer. Or if there is something odd about my computer.

Also side note: I also noticed there’s a hidden update installed (KB4598479) on the same day. It didn’t show in the Update History and hasn’t featured in ghacks.net. I’m curious whether if there are errors to this hidden update and why this update is hidden

Susan Bradley
          Da Boss

That’s a servicing stack update that installs at the same time as your main update.

What do you have your settings at?  Updates don’t come out every day.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

anonymous

Hey Susan,

Thanks for your reply.

Normally I let my computer auto-check the updates daily to see if I have any updates that needs to download and install, you know letting me know that my computer is up-to-date and when it was last checked. I have not set to pause the updates and/or change active hours (I normally use the computer in the mornings). But somehow every morning when I check the Windows Update, it doesn’t auto-check the updates and so I have to manually check for updates

Susan Bradley
              Da Boss

It may not show in the GUI that it’s checked for updates.  Is your defender a/v getting it’s updates in the background?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

anonymous

Windows defender a/v is off for periodic scanning. I’m currently using Norton Security

Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

it doesn’t auto-check the updates and so I have to manually check for updates

Checking manually is asking windows to “download and install everything”. This is not a good idea IMO.

To see if any new updates are available, download WuMgr and use it to check for updates (the circle icon). It will not install anything unless you tell it to.

cheers, Paul

ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

I was a glutton for punishment, so I updated my Win10 pro to 20H2. I didn’t block the driver updates correctly, so I got em’ all.  But at least everything still works. No issues since install.

The last .NET framework update was a joke.  I hope my machine won’t throw a fit if I uninstall it.

geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

If .NET Framework update causes no problems, leave it in place.

BetaTest {Got backup and coffee}
          offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
          offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
          online▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.746 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox85.0b9 WindowsDefender TRV=2004 WuMgr
          • This reply was modified 1 day, 17 hours ago by geekdom.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Installed kb4598242 and kb890830 on Windows 10 20H2 (19042.746).
        All is well.

anonymous

Win 10 Pro 1909 64 bit.  Downloaded SSU KB4598479 and January CU KB4598229 from MS Update Catalog, standalone installed OK, test machine stable for 2 days.  Preview .NET update and Secure Boot update not installed.

Viewing 17 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: January 2021 updates are here

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.