News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • July’s updates KB4507449/KB4507456

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches July’s updates KB4507449/KB4507456

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

anonymous

I will apologize in advance if this is not the proper venue for my question(s).

We’re about a microsecond away from agreeing with Woody about abandoning the Windows 7 Security Only (Group “B”) maintenance philosophy after seeing that the July SO patch KB4507456 contains telemetry for the Group “B” folks. The whole patching thing is getting(?) way to involved, especially with Windows 7 EOL coming up in just a few months.

So, our thinking is beginning to think about going to the full rollup and blocking the telemetry with our hardware firewall. It can dynamically resolve URLs at the time of access, so we don’t care if the underlying IP changes.

The question we have is “Does anyone have a “good” list of URLs that Windows 7 connects to for telemetry, or a list of hardcoded telemetry IPs in Windows 7?”

• #1875464 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

AKB2000012 by @abbodi86 has information on How to neutralize telemetry and Win7/8.1 Monthly Rollup Model.

I run his script as System on startup in Task Scheduler to avoid the bulk of the telemetry. It would apply to both the Group A and (now with telemetry in the Security-only patches)) the Group B patching.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1904712 Reply

walker
        AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano:  I still don’t know what I’m “doing”, however I try to pick up as much information as I can from what I’m reading, and wish to thank you again for all of the assistance you provide to us all.   🙂

• #1904714 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

@walker

The patches you need to install for July are KB4507449 Rollup, KB4507420 .NET, and the MSRT.

You probably already have these installed but if you see KB4490628 Servicing Stack or KB4474419 SHA-2, you should install them also.

If you see KB4493132 you should HIDE it.

• #1905866 Reply

walker
            AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano:    Thank you so much for the guidance you have provided.  I have everything “done”, other than the KB4507449 which I am very reluctant to “attempt” to install, as I do not have a “back up” computer to utilize for that purpose.

I am concerned that I will be “left out” of important updates if I don’t install it, and even more concerned that if I install it without have a “separate computer backup”, it could wreak havoc on the computer.   Thus far I’ve been very fortunate to have escaped a total “disaster”.

Thank you once again for your most appreciated guidance.    You are a “TRUE STAR”!!

• #1905867 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

I have installed KB4507449 on all of my Win7 computers (8) and have not had a problem.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1875513 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Anyone check if the telemetry gets turned on the same on Server 2008 R2 as on 7?

Because the patch numbers match anyway… and server upgrades just don’t follow the client upgrade cycle. Yes, I know, lifecycle says support ends in January but…

• #1875785 Reply

anonymous

PK – thanks bunches for the steer to @abbodi86‘s info on how to neutralize telemetry!

• #1882790 Reply

anonymous

@pkcano and all – can someone post the source for W10Tel.cmd here, if it’s not too big? Our network blocks pastebin.com.

• #1882823 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Suggest you copy it to a flash drive while on another network, then paste it to the computers in question.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: July’s updates KB4507449/KB4507456

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.