News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Jumping cursor

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Jumping cursor

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

I hope there is a simple answer to what seems like a minor, but irritating problem. I’m using Win 7 x64 on an HP Envy laptop. In any program, Word, Photoshop, or browsing the Web, every now and then the cursor jumps to the top left corner of the screen. Not the corner of the window I’m working in, but the corner of the display. For instance when scrolling down a Web page, or a document, using 2 fingers on the touch pad the scrolling stops. If I look at the top left corner of the screen there is the cursor. As irritants go it is minor, but I have hauled it back 5 times just writing this paragraph. The odd thing is that sometimes it doesn’t do this for a week or two, at other times it’s a right pain in the *****. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Rhino

rcl4144

Go to the touch pad software in device manager in the control panel and then the properties and try updating the driver.

RCL4144
        AskWoody Lounger

Go to the device manager in the control manager. Right Click on the touch-pad and update driver and see if that does it. If it comes back with you have the most current/latest  driver chances are there will be no change.  If you have the HP utilities disk you can try reloading the driver for the touch-pad.

Good Luck…

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I had problems with a Synaptics touch pad that gifted me, while typing, with a jumping cursor when using my circa 2011 HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 7 Professional. I did all I could to desensitize the touch pad by adjusting its settings, but the problem never went away. However the jumps were to some location within the screen and between words I had already typed.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

WSlitehorse
        AskWoody Plus

I had almost he same problem with an HP 17 g131. I use a wired mouse and as I ord type the cursor jumped all over the scree, I finally realized that if I came anywhere near the touchpad, it would move the cursor.

I tried to kill the touchpad in Device Manager, uninstalled it and it would still bounce the cursor. I gave up and put a piece of cardboard across the bottom of the keyboard, completely covering the pad.

Success!

Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Further to my jumping cursor… Windows reported that the Synaptics driver was up to date. However, to be sure to be sure, I downloaded the same driver from HP, deleted the 0ne in the laptop, and installed the “fresh” copy. And to my surprise it worked, at least as far as I could tell because it didn’t jump all the time.

Today it still hasn’t jumped, and the cursor follows my fingers on the touch pad. But when reading a Webpage I now cannot move the page up or down using 2 fingers, have to drag the bar at the right side of the page. Not sure that that is an improvement.

The mystery deepens… I just looked at Device Manager. Yesterday, a Synaptics driver was listed under “Mice and other pointing devices”; today it’s not there. I’ll try installing it again.

PKCano
          Manager

It’s possible you can go to the Control Panel and open the touchpad device. Often times the functions are configurable.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Jumping cursor

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.