News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • June 2019 updates break Dell OptiPlex 9020 Win10 v1809

Posted on snissen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 cumulative updates June 2019 updates break Dell OptiPlex 9020 Win10 v1809

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Elly 1 month ago.

• Author

snissen
      AskWoody Plus

The computer in question is a Dell OptiPlex 9020, with up-to-date firmware. It is running Windows 10 x64 v1809, and has never had a Windows Update problem. The computer does not have a Windows 10 recovery partition.

I tried installing the June 2019 updates last week, and now the computer will not boot. Upon restart, after the black screen with the blue Windows logo and the juggling balls cursor, the screen changes to straight black and the juggling balls cursor runs forever.

How do I recover from this? I have access to Windows 10 x64 boot DVDs, versions 1803, 1809, and 1903. I am quite experienced with Windows 7 recoveries but have never had to recover Windows 10 before.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by
         snissen.
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1847134 Reply

woody
      Da Boss
      • #1847150 Reply

snissen
        AskWoody Plus

More than a dozen restarts and shutdown/power-on cycles by all kinds of methods have not resolved the problem.

The computer has no Realtek drivers, and no Avast, only Windows Defender.

Tomorrow, I’m looking to remove this hard drive and put it in another computer as a secondary drive, just to preserve the data on it.

• #1847306 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You should be able to boot from a backup / recovery USB and backup/copy the disk to an external USB hard disk. Then you can attempt radical recovery solutions.

Have you managed to get into the recovery console by pressing F8 (lots) during start up?

cheers, Paul

• #1847611 Reply

snissen
        AskWoody Plus

I was never able to get the recovery console (F8) to come up. I can boot from a Windows 10 v1903 installation DVD, but none of the recovery techniques there worked.

• #1848318 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Did you try unplugging any USB equipment?

Microsoft does have a support page, Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors.

They give instructions on how to boot to safe mode, depending on what you are seeing/not seeing, and suggest performing the recovery options in safe mode, with the installation media that matches what is on your machine.

And they have Advanced troubleshooting for Windows boot problems which is written for support and IT pros, but gives further options to try.

The best of luck!

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: June 2019 updates break Dell OptiPlex 9020 Win10 v1809

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.