News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• June updates bring news

Home Forums AskWoody blog June updates bring news

Viewing 24 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

It’s been a little bit funny seeing some of the reactions online to the News and Interests feature that is included in the June updates. As Askwoody r
        [See the full post at: June updates bring news]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

In other patching news, keep an eye out for Apple 14.6 for your iphone/ipad and remember that Apple 15 will be offered up to even iphone 6 models.

Apple will let users stay on iOS 14.x and won’t force iOS 15 upgrades.

R
          AskWoody Plus

It is, as long as you have an Enterprise license. Then you’re ‘safe’ until May next year. In my opinion, every license model should have this option btw. Since Windows is ‘free’ now anyway, why are users pushed to new and unwanted versions? An OS should be a host for applications, nothing more and nothing less. If you’d strip off all the blubber Microsoft includes (stupid Store-apps, weather bar, Edge etc etc etc) all your software would still work fine. Unfortunately, creating a clean Windows is near impossible for the average end user.

Mele20
        AskWoody Lounger

iOS 14.6 has been out for two weeks…It’s old news now.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Finally was showing up on folks phones in the last couple of days.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

anonymous

Nothing is ever all bad. Without the update rolling out we’d have missed out on Paul Cunningham’s incisive comment.

anonymous

I noticed that the Defender icon disappeared from taskbar. I went into settings and tried to enable it again and it still never came back. Wonder if this is related to the News/Weather, interest on Taskbar now?? Like I need another thing running in the background.

R
        AskWoody Plus

Great, systems not shutting down anymore after todays update, going to be a long night of repairs. What a mess again. Tiresome.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

What platforms?  Not seeing that in my testing?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

R
            AskWoody Plus

Win 1909 on a laptop (enterprise), didn’t want to start also anymore. Hung at Dell logo, nothing for the rest. Managed to start from a Macrium rescue stick via the built-in boot menu. Looked like somehow the EFI got damaged/deleted. After restoring an earlier made image (I learned my lessons…) retried updating. This time it seemed to work. Don’t understand why Windows updates are always so risky, there should be safer ways to do this…

Anyway, the restoring of the image took about 4 minutes (thanks to rapid delta restore, the invention of the century and a life saver for ssd’s), but still the whole re-update cost a lot of time. All in all, not happy. But it seems to be part of life, this monthly Russian roulette. And yeah, I could wait a bit. But I don’t use Windows for production anymore, so I don’t ly awake of it all anymore.

Had the plan to dive into it and figure out what exactly went wrong this time. But the weather was nice, so I choose the fast option…

anonymous

I’m still on 10/1909 home and have not patched for a few months on one laptop but I’ve not allowed that laptop online while booted into Windows 10. But what feature update will I be forced into if I do decide to continue updating and that laptop’s dual booting 10/1909 Home with Mint 20.1 currently.

I’m really waiting to see what’s going to get added to windows that’s unwanted and some rumors of some big update arriving and some 10 + 1 version of Windows!

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

But what feature update will I be forced into if I do decide to continue updating and that laptop’s dual booting 10/1909 Home with Mint 20.1 currently.

Whatever Microsoft will decide is “good for you”: 2004/20H2/21H1.
        You can decide for yourself updating TRV (TargetReleaseVersion) with the version you want.

1909 is no longer supported.

PerthMike
          AskWoody Plus

But what feature update will I be forced into if I do decide to continue updating and that laptop’s dual booting 10/1909 Home with Mint 20.1 currently.

Whatever Microsoft will decide is “good for you”: 2004/20H2/21H1.
          You can decide for yourself updating TRV (TargetReleaseVersion) with the version you want.

1909 is no longer supported.

In Enterprise it is.

No matter where you go, there you are.

th3ph3d
        AskWoody Lounger

If you manage a domain and want to disable the News and Interests taskbar feature, here’s how I did it.

1. Download the latest ADMX templates from https://www.microsoft.com/download/103124
        2. Extract/install to your local machine. Copy the newly created PolicyDefinitions folder over the existing one on your domain’s Sysvol. (take a backup of the existing PolicyDefinitions folder first if you want.
        3. Launch your Group Policy editor, and change the setting at Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > News and interests > Enable news and interests on the taskbar to Disabled.

Hint: Former KB3087759 (now at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-client/group-policy/create-and-manage-central-store) has the latest download links for the ADMX templates.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Carl D
        AskWoody Lounger

The new version of O&O’s ShutUp10 released on June 2nd had already “killed” this News and Interests nonsense for me even before I installed this month’s Windows Updates yesterday so I never even saw it.

Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H Motherboard, Intel i5-7600 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1065 Graphics Card, 1x Samsung 870 EVO 250GB SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 21H1 64bit.

Carl D
        AskWoody Lounger

“It did not say 2021-06 Moon and Temperature Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems why do I have moon and temperature”

To me it looks more like the Sun with a solar eclipse in progress 🙂

Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H Motherboard, Intel i5-7600 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1065 Graphics Card, 1x Samsung 870 EVO 250GB SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 21H1 64bit.

CAS
        AskWoody Plus

I just downloaded the June update without a hitch, probably because I sign in locally, don’t allow Edge on my system and have no MS apps running on my computer. I’m now on 20H2 OS Build 19042.1052.

Peace, CAS

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody_MVP

Whenever I hear of a new “feature” of Windows nowadays I think to myself:

“Oh lord, how many new services and processes is this going to just keep running, using my system resources?”

…followed by…

“How much trouble is it going to be to remove this and will I be able to keep my system almost as efficient as it was before?”

I remember as a younger man, up to around Win 7, thinking “Wow, a new version of Windows! Can’t wait to dive in and see what it does!” Then being delighted by new features, better desktop integration, lifting of limitations (remember 64 bit?)… Sigh.

-Noel

7 users thanked author for this post.
        PerthMike
        AskWoody Plus

Why oh why can’t it ever be an opt-in choice? Why must Microsoft always make it harder to keep the status quo? No, Enterprise users, in an Office, should not be given this by default. Employees are supposed to work, not get distracted.

I agree about the likely resource hog this could be.

And I can’t wait to see hackers exploit this new feature to insert malware popups onto users’ desktops.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

In case this helps anyone:

(17) Turn off News and Interests – YouTube

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

TechTango
        AskWoody Plus

Just finished updated 4 computers (1 desktop and 3 laptops) with the June update.  No issues whatsoever.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Susan Bradley wrote:

It’s been a little bit funny seeing some of the reactions online to the News and Interests feature that is included in the June updates.

Apparently, people at Microsoft are laughing at people, who are trying to control what their PC does. I have a weather displayed on several places in my OS, bravo Microsoft. You overwhealmed me with ads and promo successfully. You really try to push your partners as hard as possible, dont you, Microsft. Nobody cares about users, just money. Only Susan Bradley is a small island to help us and guide us. Its nice to have important information stressed out.

Also the news and interest looks like miniature Edge browser (including buttons and dropdown menu).
        “Hey users, why dont you use our latest Edge with our amazing front page full of news and interests? Why do you users stick to the stupid chrome? You know what, we will put you irritating button on the system tray, so you will use OUR solution anyway! Got it?”
        (The News and Interest panel disrespects your default browser setting, it just pops up Edge. How surprising.)

What resources does the tray consume?

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

(The News and Interest panel disrespects your default browser setting, it just pops up Edge. How surprising.)

Have you tried EdgeDeflector ?

2 users thanked author for this post.
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the tip, I did not know, that there is such tool.

I disabled News and interest panel, since I have no intention to use it. I just tried to see, what it does. No added value for me.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

jayinalaska
        AskWoody Plus

I decided to update early this month. On a custom built PC (Pro 20H2) and a Dell Latitude 5520 laptop (Enterprise 20H2), both updated without issue and have not exhibited any problems.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

Windows 10 KB5003637 update could break your taskbar, printer (windowslatest.com)

I personally have not seen this in my testing.  My printers are fine so I’m guessing it may be older printer drivers again and not widespread.  This is why we wait.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

anonymous

Hi

Both my Windows 10 Home v21H1 systems (one x64Bit laptop and another x86 netbook) were successfully updated with 2021-06 CU KB5003637 and .Net CU KB5003254 2 days ago to bring OS build to 19043.1052.

Print and scan via USB cable to local printer is working. Did encounter the issue of “taskbar and notification icons” going missing on my x64Bit laptop. Setting the “News And Interest” to “Show Icon Only” only is working for now.

Also refer to comment: https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/11/windows-10-kb5003637-update-could-break-your-taskbar/#comment-5415992895

Cheers

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

have you tried printing and scanning thru ethernet/LAN cable and Wifi/wireless/WLAN with the KB5003637 or newer CU installed (aka. non-local)?

anonymous

Hi @EP,
            Same anonymous poster above. No, my Canon E470 printer setup is for single home user and I also rarely use it. Since the USB cable connection is the simplest to setup and is also suffice for my need, I did not try the other methods. Can’t say whether KB5003637 have any effect or not on non-local printers.
            Cheers.

Renee
        AskWoody Lounger

found by putting the task bar on the side seemed to make the news thingy go away….but then I do not like the bar on the bottom…..maybe just a accident as I use Win 10 sparingly, only need it for a few tasks ( old Access 2000, some Automotive Software) and is normally not on line, my daily driver is linux…sooooo much less hassle.

BTW Thunderbird 78 is a MAJOR upgrade from 68 and sure makes a mess of things

Renée

anonymous

Was at 1909 Pro version.  MS locked the June 1909 CU against installation on Pro — previously this had not been done for several months after EOL.

Upgrading to 21H1 on 3 machines necessitated use of 3 methods.   Used preferred method of external media.   Machine 1 upgraded successfully from 1909 via 21H1 media without issue.  Machine 2 failed repeatedly to upgrade from 1909 to 21H1 via media with a false 0xc1900101 error (usually BIOS, video driver, etc compatibility).  Instead, successfully upgraded Machine 2 without errors by first upgrading to 20H2 via media, then upgrading to 21H1 via media.  Machine 3 failed to upgrade from 1909 to 21H1 via media with a false error that apps/files couldn’t be kept (unsupported Windows directory path/old Win version error).   Upgraded machine to 20H2 via media, still could not upgrade to 21H1 via media. Successfully upgraded from interim 20H2 to 21H1 (without errors, keeping apps and files) by applying the 21H1 enablement KB package, obtained from reputable site.

Machines stable 2 days.

In the 21H1 installation, at the 46% complete installation point, the installer routine seems to scan one or more data-only drives (not the boot SSD drive) for a very long time, unsure about the purpose of that disk scanning.

Macrium Reflect clones of boot drives were done before 21H1 upgrades were begun.

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

“MS locked the June 1909 CU against installation on Pro — previously this had not been done for several months after EOL.”

that is the expected behavior for the June 2021 CU for 1909 as that one only installs on enterprise & education editions of 1909

anonymous

Yes, that is official MS policy.  However in previous years, it was actually possible to download and standalone install the CUs for several months after EOL on Win 10 Pro.  MS did not lock the CU against Pro (and Home) immediately on the next month after EOL.  This was actually useful in providing a few additional months to check on the stability of a new Win 10 version before upgrading.  So in this current 2021 case, it was hoped to run 1909 longer with application of June and July CUs , checking a bit longer on new 21H1 stability, before doing the upgrade from 1909 to 21H1.  Alas, no longer possible — the schedule is strictly enforced, the June 1909 CU doesn’t install onto Pro.

EP
              AskWoody_MVP

though the new CUs for 1909 like KB5003635 and KB5003698 could be “integrated” onto Win10 v1909 Pro install media to workaround or bypass the restriction as abbodi86 told me how to do this – ask him

anonymous

Had heard of integrating a CU into version media a long time back (and used this in a corporate setting), but had never thought of it as a way to work around EOL  limitations — thanks much for the suggestion, worth looking into.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

obtained from reputable site

I assume you mean Microsoft?

What checks did you perform on the package to ensure it was from MS?

cheers, Paul

anonymous

As you know, the KB5000736 enablement package is not provided as a standalone download from the MS Update Catalog at this point, it is only being made available through MS Update or WSUS. The WindowsTenForums site (and others?) have posted download links for the KB5000736 package sourced from download.windowsupdate.com (a hidden Microsoft server), and the downloaded KB5000736 file shows a Microsoft digital signature.  So the download source and the file itself seem trustworthy on two basic checks.

The main point to the post is that the method of using external media for Win 10 version upgrades, which used to be more reliable than inline upgrade, now seems as problematic as inline, when moving to 21H1.

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

new “preview” updates for Win10 versions 1809 and 1909 released Tue. June 15:

KB5003698 for 1909 enterprise & education – build 18363.1645
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/5003698
        -this new update for 1909 fixes the “blurry” news & interests text problem

KB5003703 for 1809 enterprise ltsc 2019 – build 17763.2028
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/5003703

Viewing 24 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: June updates bring news

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.