News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Just discovered CCleaner wiped my history!

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Just discovered CCleaner wiped my history!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Hamsa Vicerra
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Fred,

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for my question or not, but I just rediscovered what I used to hate about CCleaner. After reading your article about it, I thought I’d start using it again. I ran it this morning, then when I went to look for something in history I was aghast to see that CCleaner had deleted all my history before today. That was when I remembered it happening when I used CCleaner some years ago. I must’ve found the fix before, but I haven’t the patience to chase it down again. How can I keep CCleaner from doing this?

Thanks!
        Hamsa

Zig
        AskWoody Plus

History? Define further. If you mean browser history, you might do well to uncheck the “history” or “internet history” box in the Ccleaner section for the browser of your choice.

Zig

1 user thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

Eee, how did I miss that? I did look through all the little boxes, but I guess not carefully enough. Now I’ll have to post another question on how to recover deleted browser history.

Thanks!

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

It pays to do a ‘custom installation’ during installation setup instead of using the default.
        Then before running ANY newly installed software, scrutinize the settings and ammend accordingly. And in particular with this so called cleaner, stick a firewall rule on the executable, as it reports back to HQ.
        Here endeth the lesson for today 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

I did a custom install, though it wouldn’t have protected me from my own lapse in attention, since I went through all the little boxes but missed that crucial one. Re: your 3rd piece of advice, I haven’t a clue how to go about that. Here’s your chance for another lesson :-).

Thanks!

krism
        AskWoody Plus

I Macrium image my SSD before doing anything like that. Learned the hard way… 🙁

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

fwaa-haa-haa! 😀

this is another reason why I gave up using CCleaner by the end of last decade and used other tools like Bleachbit or Wise Disk Cleaner which have better controls than CCleaner

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by EP.
          anonymous

Yes, I might be happier doing that. Thanks!

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I can’t speak for the “latest and greatest” version of CCleaner, but the older version I use works fine doing just what I want it to.  All I have to do is check or uncheck the little boxes to make CCleaner only do what I want.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          krism
          AskWoody Plus

yep, but last time I looked at it there was a TON of little boxes to check and check (both meanings). 🙁

The only thing that really racks up the space is stuff in apps/user/local/temp, and windows temp. I had an old Fred Langa bat set up and revised it for win10 but it still doesn’t cope well with win10’s permissions so I do it manually. takes maybe 30 secs.

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Same here Charlie, I still have and use, the portable version of 5.30.6065 (pre avast!) 2017 with a custom winapp2.ini and portable.dat that works efficiently and as expected for WinXP/7/8.1, however, with W10 I don’t use ccleaner at all whilst testing/keeping up with the OS. Instead I opted for an older portable bleachbit v2.2 for that.

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I’m using the installed CCleaner V5.46.6652 on my Win 7 machine which now and then reminds me that I’m “35 updates out of date”.  I purposely don’t update it because the version I’m using does what I want without a lot of fuss.

I also use Bleachbit on my Linux Mint laptop.  Same thing applies there, I only check the boxes that I want and know what will happen when they run.  In both cases it’s mainly a lot of things left over from Firefox that I get rid of.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Just discovered CCleaner wiped my history!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.