• KB 4132810: Missing junction points … on non-en-US Win 10 installation media

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10-other » KB 4132810: Missing junction points … on non-en-US Win 10 installation media

Author
    Topic

From Missing junction points from the Default User profile on non–en-US Windows 10 installation media:

“You have Windows 10 installation media, such as an iso file that is downloaded from MSDN, that is not in the en-US language (for example, fr-CA or en-GB). On this media, the junction points might be missing in the Default User profile. Because of this issue, any user profiles in this system that are created in the future will not have these junction points.

[…]

This issue may cause compatibility issues for some applications that rely on these junction points existing.

[…]

To work around this issue, use an en-US image to install Windows, and then install the necessary language pack.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Hmmm, interesting find.
      It has always been safer to install the US version and give the best try to the Language Packs installed post US version.
      At some time during the release of Windows 8 and Server 2012, Microsoft introduced a so-called Australian version of the English language, which in fact sets the system to the GB English (which is the official version of English used in Australia, although in practice there is a hybrid GB-US English in use due to the proliferation of computers initially only in US English), but using the US keyboard. While I tried it hard, I found that there were always problems with that setup and since then I use only the US version and with the Australian localisation, which is the same setup from Windows 7 and earlier versions.
      I experimented with (European) Spanish versions of Windows and I found that it was always better to use originally the US version and install the Language Packs on top then using native localised versions.
      The differences are subtle and there are only few registry keys involved to switch from one version to another, keys and values which are kept secret and not documented by Microsoft.
      The moral of the story, always install the US version which is tested the most and install Language Packs on top if needed.

EDIT: The registry keys mentioned in the post are here (in subfolders):
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls
      I don’t remember all details, but I believe that only these registry keys are relevant:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Locale

Per-user there are few other relevant registry keys and values, but per system, which is what this thread is about, I think this is all that changes between various installations, plus obviously the relevant Language Pack.
      WUMT shows clearly under the Installed tab that even on a US system, there is a US Language Pack installed. Windows 10 might be slightly different in this matter.
      By installing an additional Language Pack of those supported, changing the mentioned registry keys and uninstalling the US Language Pack, the system becomes magically “native” in a different language.
      This procedure has only academic importance though but it may be useful in those few situations when a critical system is initially installed in the “wrong” language and for various reasons the OS is not possible to be completely reinstalled.

They are getting more messy with each new version

After 1 year and a half, and 5 Windows 10 versions, the issue stand still

ch100, b

Wow! Just hit this weird issue! Using en-GB; %allusersprofile% junction points all missing on 1803!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: KB 4132810: Missing junction points … on non-en-US Win 10 installation media

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: