• KB 5017308 will not install

• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago.
    Author
    Topic

Good Morning All

I am in UK and have a desktop PC running Windows 10 Home 21H2.

Following Susan Bradleys advice I usually defer my Windows updates to the maximum 5 weeks delay allowed until Susan gives the OK to install them.

This usually works well but yesterday when I removed the delay to allow them to install I had a problem.  The Defender, MSRT and KB 5017858 updates installed without apparent problems but KB 5017308 would not install and produced an Error 0x80073701 code.

I downloaded another copy from the Microsoft Catalogue but this would not install either.  I then ran sfc/scannow and the DISM commands but with no positive result – still no install.

In addition to this problem I found that my System Restore points had all been wiped out and the system been rendered totally inoperable.  Also the computer went into a Restart loop and could only be switched off by doing a hard shutdown on the power button.

I am afraid I am not very computer literate and now have no idea what to do next – any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Roy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.900 + Microsoft 365/Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I have done the “component cleanup” as you suggested, but unfortunately still with no success.

I have managed to get System Restore working again but it has failed to restore back to the point entered just before I started to install the September updates yesterday.

So I am still stuck with this KB 5017308 update which will, supposedly, download but not  install and I am not sure whether I can do anything more with it – or even if I can extend the delay period on it and through the next (October) scheduled date to hold those back until Susan Bradley gives the OK ?

What do you think my next move should be?  I have done disk health checks on my C drive and also a checkdisk procedure – both are saying no faults.

Regards,

Roy.

Try this:

• Elevated CMD prompt
      • Type: chkdsk /f
      • When the computer asks if you wish to check at reboot, type: Y
      • Exit CMD
      • Reboot and let chkdsk continue
      Carpe Diem {with backup and coffee}
      offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender
      offline▸ Acer TravelMate P215-52 RAM8GB Win11Pro 22H2.22621.674 x64 i5-10210U SSD Firefox106.0 MicrosoftDefender
      online▸ Win11Pro 22H2.22621.819 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox108.0b7 MicrosoftDefender

Hello geekdom – many thanks for reply.

Yes, I have already done that – it was suggested by system restore when it failed to restore to my requested point.

Sadly, no faults found and situation continues as before – including being in a restart loop which means I have to do a hard power off at the end of the day or whenever else I want to shut down.

Bit of a nuisance that, but as far as I can see the computer is working normally in other respects albeit at considerably reduced speeds. I just don’t relish this being an ongoing state and would just like to get back to normal asap.

Regards,

Roy.

the computer is working normally in other respects albeit at considerably reduced speeds. I just don’t relish this being an ongoing state and would just like to get back to normal asap.

Restore from a full image copy you have created before updating.

2 users thanked author for this post.

You aren’t alone. Here’s this report:
      https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb5017308-causing-issues-with-group-policy-settings/

KB5017308 also failing to install
      “Another seemingly widespread problem encountered after deploying KB5017308 is affecting Windows 10 systems that will hang on reboot after installation with an 0x800F0845 added to the event log.”

Possible work-around from the article:
      “Those affected say that the automatic rollback will only trigger after rebooting the affected systems twice in a row.”

Carpe Diem {with backup and coffee}
      offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender
      offline▸ Acer TravelMate P215-52 RAM8GB Win11Pro 22H2.22621.674 x64 i5-10210U SSD Firefox106.0 MicrosoftDefender
      online▸ Win11Pro 22H2.22621.819 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox108.0b7 MicrosoftDefender

“Those affected say that the automatic rollback will only trigger after rebooting the affected systems twice in a row.”

Does “rebooting” here mean “restarting”? Or does it mean “shutting down and then powering up”?

Is restart possible on a hung computer?

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.900 + Microsoft 365/Edge

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Many thanks to all for your help and advice.

Happy to report that the issue has resolved itself without any action from me !!

Late yesterday afternoon (28.9.22) I checked on the Updates page in Windows settings and discovered to my surprise that the troublesome update (KB 5017308) had disappeared and that the ‘defer’ box had reverted to it’s original date of 5.10.22. – good news!

The only other change was the new presence of KB 5015730 in the uninstall list in control panel, but not in the installed list on the updates page.  I had no idea that this update was being installed but I suspect that this was causing the very slow responses from the computer whilst I was using it and checking other things.

I was, however, left with the reboot loop and after a bit of google research decided to disable the fast startup facility by unchecking the box in Power Options of the control panel System Settings. This fixed the problem and now we are back to normal.

I can’t face going through this type of thing again in the near future and so I plan to ignore any further updates for this month and extend the deferral date to after the October patch Tuesday and hope for better things then.

Regards,

Roy.

Is restart possible on a hung computer?

It probably looks like a dumb question to you, but I don’t know. That’s why I asked. I’ve never had a hung computer, so I don’t know what that looks like. For all I know, maybe you can right-click and get some options offered, such as “restart” or “shut down”. I haven’t installed KB5017308 yet, so that’s why I’d like to know what “reboot” means operationally, in case.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: KB 5017308 will not install

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: