Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • KB4054517 issues

Posted on jwhiz56 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 1 month ago.

• Author

jwhiz56
      AskWoody Lounger

This KB installed on my MS Surface Pro 3, my HP HPDV8T laptop but refuses to install on my 2017 Surface Pro (purchased just before Thanksgiving).  I’ve reset it multiple ways (the OS) and the update either sits at 99% downloaded, or it fails on installation.  my C:\windows\logs\CBS directory eats up ALL of my disk free space.  I’ve tried all hints/suggestions on the Microsoft forums related to this KB.  when I downloaded the standalone version for my computer x86/windows 10, it says it’s not applicable to my computer.

any useful help would be appreciated.

john

John W Zerkel

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #152782 Reply

Kirsty
      AskWoody MVP

MS aren’t reporting any known issues with the KB at this stage. Was there any helpful code to try to track down the issue, or was it just “sorry, that didn’t work”?

Are you using Windows Update to install, are you you using the standalone package from MS Update Catalog?

• #152850 Reply

jwhiz56
        AskWoody Lounger

When was the last time MS admitting something without being beat over the head with massive amounts of complaints?? and I’ve tried both Win update and the standalone package.

john

John W Zerkel

• #152846 Reply

GoTheSaints
      AskWoody Lounger

Maybe if you follow this growing thread (if you are not already 🙂 ) in the MS Community:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4054517-fails-to/5bde0909-3d46-4725-8681-d5d500780963

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #152849 Reply

jwhiz56
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve read all 7 pages. None of that works. BEFORE I posted here.

john

John W Zerkel

• #152863 Reply

Bob99
      AskWoody Lounger

In addition to the thread referenced by @gothesaints above, there are more discussions with proposed solutions listed if you Google the term “KB4054517 problems”. When you do, the third listing down should be the one from @gothesaints that you’ve already read, but tucked in below that main listing are several other results from answers.microsoft.com that may help you find a solution.

However, as @kirsty said above

…Was there any helpful code to try to track down the issue…

knowing the exact error code for the failed installation will be a great help in troubleshooting your installation issue. Some folks with this issue, as you’ve read in the thread referenced by @gothesaints, have unfortunately resorted to just doing a clean install of Windows 10 🙁 which is what you’re trying to avoid obviously.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Bob99.
    • #152872 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

I boosted this up to the top of the site.

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/win10-fall-creators-update-cumulative-update-kb-4054517-refusing-to-install/

Anybody have any solutions?

• #152874 Reply

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

An idea (I didn’t check if anybody else posted this already):

1. Revert pending actions by doing this procedure.

2. Download the update from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx and install it manually.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  MrBrian.
    • #152888 Reply

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

The latest separately-available servicing stack for v1709: Servicing stack update for Windows 10 Version 1709: November 30, 2017.

• #152915 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

No free space on the C: drive — that’s a red flag. That might be why it didn’t install.

How big is your C: drive. If it isn’t very big, then this update is probably filling up the drive during the download or install process.

Free up as much space as you can on your C: drive, and then try doing the update again. In addition to freeing up the space, put the update on a flash drive and install it from there, so the update itself doesn’t take up space on C:.

You mentioned that you downloaded the x86 version of the update. Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? x86 is the 32-bit version of the update. If you have 64-bit Windows, then you have the wrong version of the update.

• #152954 Reply

jwhiz56
      AskWoody Lounger

well, downloaded the cumulative updated for kb4054517 from ms update page, put the surface into airplane mode and ran the install. the install actually worked, fairly quickly, but the reboot took 3-4 hours (went to church). But when I checked it later, it was sitting at the logon screen. went in and verified installed updates and then took it out of airplane mode and ran update again. it came back as up to date.

in regards to disk space. the tablet in question is a surface pro with 8 gig ram, 256gig harddrive. the only thing installed on it was windows. I had run system clean up before the final try at updating. so I had about 170gig of free space. MS better be careful. if the updates get too big, they won’t install on the surface pro’s and they only THINK they had problems with the battery issue on the surface pro 3’s. Wait till ALL those surface owners can no longer update because their isn’t enough room on their drives.

john

John W Zerkel

• #153041 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

One of the reasons I asked about drive space was because I have heard of Windows 10 laptops (not Surfaces) which had 32 GB SSDs as the primary hard drive. In those cases, these computers had a hard time with normal updating due to the very small amount of hard drive space.

I thought of that when I read your comment about the logs eating up all of your drive space.

A 256 GB hard drive shouldn’t have that problem. It is big enough so that if it has no space, you should be able to do enough clean up to get plenty of space for any sort of Windows update. But maybe there is a bug with this update which is causing this update to eat up all available drive space, thereby preventing the update process from completing.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: KB4054517 issues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.