News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• KB4092436 – can neither install it or hide it

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2010 and earlier for PC KB4092436 – can neither install it or hide it

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Stephen Yeo
        AskWoody Plus

I’m running version 20H2 of Windows on my laptop.

For some time now I’ve been seeing in Windows Update the patch described in KB4092436, which is relevant to Office 2010. I used to run Office 2010 on the laptop, but migrated to Office 2016 and then Office 365 quite a while ago.

The patch won’t install – it gives errors 0x8024002d and 0xc1900401. I imagine this is because it requires a component of Office 2010 that is no longer present on the laptop.

Since I can’t figure out how to install the patch, I thought of just hiding it, so I don’t see these endless error messages in Windows Update. On the other hand, I don’t know how to to do this. I can see the failed installs in View Update History, and there is an option to uninstall updates, but this patch doesn’t get installed in the first place.

Is it safe for me to tell Windows to ignore this patch, and if so, how would I do this?

Stephen Yeo

Susan Bradley
        Manager

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Stephen Yeo
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks very much indeed for the quick (instant!) response.

I can download and run wushowhide, but it doesn’t remove the patch from the Windows Update screen. Here is what I’ve tried, in more detail:

1. Downloaded and ran wushowhide
        2. Found KB4092436 in the list of updates that could be hidden#
        3. Selected it to be hidden
        4. Closed the troubleshooter
        5. Looked at Windows Update and the patch was still showing as a failed install
        6. Ran the troubleshooter again and checked that the patch was listed as a hidden update
        7. Restarted the PC but found the situation unchanged

Looks as if KB4092436 is flagged as something that Windows Update won’t try to install again, but the installation has already run part of the way and then stopped with an error, and wushowhide doesn’t deal with partly installed patches. But I’m certainly no expert on this, and it may well be that there is another problem.

Attachments:
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Instead of wushowhide use WUmgr and hidden updates will be hidden.

Guide to Using WuMgr for Windows 10 Updates

PKCano
          Manager

Windows Update and wushowhide both use the Windows Update Service.
          When Windows Update scans for updates, the resulting list is put in a static cache that is not refreshed until the next scheduled Windows Update scan. This is what you see in the Settings App\Update & Security\Windows Update.
          When you use wushowhide, the scan for updates is dynamic, and you see the actual current list. If you hide the updates, they are removed from the wushowhide available list and show in the hidden list.

The Windows Update queue does not reflect these changes until Windows Update preforms its next scheduled scan.
          For further information on how to clear the Windows Update Cache, see AKB2000013. Also, look down the thread for the method used by @Matador.

Stephen Yeo
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for that suggestion, but it doesn’t seem to work either:

1. I downloaded and ran wumgr as instructed
        2. I found the Office 2010 patch and moved it to the hidden category
        3. I closed wumgr and then opened it to check that the patch was still in the hidden category
        4. When I looked at Windows Update, the same Error screen was there, even after I asked for it to check for updates

Maybe hiding the patch is only part of the solution? It  seems to be part way through an installation and that record of a failed install is what is “stuck”?

Stephen Yeo
        AskWoody Plus

I’ll try that, thanks.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: KB4092436 – can neither install it or hide it

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.