News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • KB4559309

Posted on Marc1174 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Marc1174
        AskWoody Lounger

Woody confirmed Defcon 3 so I resumed updates and KB4559309 was automatically installed and I don’t want it.

I can recover a backup image to get rid of it but would like to know how to deal with pausing updates until Woody confirms that its ok to install and then prevent getting an update I don’t want automatically downloaded

• #2286098 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The suggestion here is to use Microsoft’s wushowhide app to hide updates you don’t want or need to keep at bay for a while.

cheers, Paul

• #2286211 Reply
        Marc1174
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Paul………………I have run wushowhide on my 2 other machines and no updates are there to hide. Both machines have updates paused. Is that OK or do I need to remove the pause ? If I do then as in my original post the update I don’t want will likely be installed.

• #2286216 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

If you remove the Pause, the (available) pending updates will immediately download and install (metered connections may stop the bigger ones, but the smaller ones may drop anyway).

wushowhide and Windows Update both use the Windows Update Service. If the updates are paused from showing in Windows Update, they are also paused from showing in wushowhide.

• #2286226 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Backup your machine.
          Set the network to metered.
          Unpause and cross your fingers.
          Let us know how it goes.

cheers, Paul

• #2286725 Reply
        Marc1174
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks, both, for the responses.  Following Paul T’s suggestion I tried this on our other 2 machines. The first was a netbook with Win 10 Pro 32 bit on it. The Edge update KB4559309 didn’t show up.

On the other machine with a similar build, Win 10 Pro 64bit, to the machine that automatically updated Edge I wasn’t so lucky. I had wushowhide ready to run and set it running the moment I clicked Resume updates but the Edge download immediately appeared as a pending download.  Metered network stopped the install but left me with a message saying that the download would happen once I stopped using a metered connection.

wushowhide reported “there are no updates available to Hide”.

My real worry will come if the Edge update finally installs on the netbook with so many reports of how slow other peoples machines become.  The netbook a Toshiba NB550D is mighty slow on Win 10 as it is.

Attachments:
      • #2286923 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I’d wait a day or two and see if wushowhide catches up.

If not, here is a thread on uninstalling Chredge.
        https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/how-to-uninstalled-wu-installed-chredge/

cheers, Paul

• #2293993 Reply
        Marc1174
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi………….finally able to get wushowhide to hide KB4559309 and KB4023057 on my 2nd 64bit machine. However when I refreshed Windows Update both were still in the list to install. I re-booted the machine and then found both removed from the Update list. Is re-booting normally required after using wushowhide ?  Interestingly neither of these items were offerred for my 32 bit Netbook, also 1909. Thanks agin for the help.

• #2293996 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

wushowhide and Windows Update use the same Windows Update Service to scan for updates. But Windows Update scan is saved to a cache that doesn’t get refreshed until Windows Update scans again on its own. wushowhide scans whenever you click on it, so what it sees is current.
          After you hide an update with wushowhide, you either have to clear the WU cache or you have to wait until WU rescans to update what it sees.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: KB4559309

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.