News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• KB5001403 Missed in WinUpd?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1 (and Win 8) patches KB5001403 Missed in WinUpd?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        J9438
        AskWoody Plus

I always follow Susan’s DEFCON to the letter so I did updates to my Win 8.1 home on 5/1/21. Then today 5/7/21 I ran my McAfee Vulnerability Scanner (was seeing if it would find the Dell dbutil that Susan mentioned today) and to my surprise it found KB5001403 and flagged it critical. So not sure if that was correct I went back to Window and did a Check for Updates. Sure enough, it too said KB5001403 was needed. So I installed. The question, though, is why did 5/1 Windows Check for  Updates miss that when the update is showing released 4/13? If I had not done the McAfee or even another Win Check I would not have picked that up until June DEFCON. Kind of scary since it was flagged critical.

PKCano
        Manager

KB5001403 is the April (NOT June) Servicing Stack Update (SSU) for Win8.1. It is covered by the April DEFCON-4 rating.

SSUs have to be installed exclusively (by themself), and do not show in the Windows Update queue unless/until there are no other pending updates (checked or unchecked) in the queue. After you installed the updates on 5/1/21, that emptied the WU queue of pending updates so that the SSU KB5001403 could appear the next time WU did a “check for updates.”
        The appearance was entirely normal.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        EricB
        AskWoody Plus

If I remember correctly WU in Win 8.1 only offers Servicing stack updates after all other updates have been installed.  That would explain why the KB5001403 update did not appear when WU checked on 5/1 and other updates were available.

J9438
        AskWoody Plus

Well, I learn something new everyday. I guess after I do my monthly update (that clears the update queue) then I need to go back and do another check for updates. Perhaps a dumb question but seems Microsoft would be smart enough to offer ALL updates when the check is performed and know the order the updates should be performed so service stack updates would hold until the others done. I wonder how many people like me did not know the difference between regular updates and service stack updates? Thanks to AskWoody for the education!

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

<snark> I suppose Microsoft’s view is that you should have WU set to automatically download and install updates so the point would be moot. </snark>

J9438
        AskWoody Plus

I suppose Microsoft’s view is that you should have WU set to automatically download and install

For sure. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a sneaking way of trying to get all of us to do auto update!! I wish Susan would mention the need to check for the SvcStkUpds on her DEFCON (or maybe she has and I just missed the point), because I bet many, many people do not realize this.  I have been doing the manual updates for decades and never realized I was not picking up the SSU’s until the following month. Not a very secure approach since they are marked critical.

PKCano
          Manager

The problem is, if you waited until the next month after the Patch Tues. release to look at WU again, you would again miss the SSU. Because as soon at the next month’s patches hit the queue, the SSU (which has to be installed exclusively, ie, by itself) again becomes invisible until the queue is emptied by either installing the patches or hiding them.

This has been discussed at length multiple times in the past at AskWoody.
          FYI, MS has corrected the problem in Win10 by bundling the SSU with the CU in previous versions, and is now including it with the CU in current versions.

J9438
        AskWoody Plus

The problem is, if you waited until the next month after the Patch Tues. release to look at WU again, you would again miss the SSU

I guess that is why I would have to install patches right after Susan gives the all clear, restart, and then immediately do another check for updates to pick up the SSU’s, then Pause until Susan’s next release.

This has been discussed at length multiple times in the past at AskWoody.

Wow, I have been logging onto Woody for over a decade and missed this somehow. I wonder how many others did not realize this.  I am so glad as you stated

MS has corrected the problem in Win10

that this obscure updating is fixed in Win 10.

Thanks for all this valuable education!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: KB5001403 Missed in WinUpd?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.