News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• KB5005573 Braking Printers

Home » Forums » Admin IT Lounge » Managing updates in organizations » KB5005573 Braking Printers

Author
    Topic

Hi all

FYI – KB5005573 is braking printing services on Server 2016 and Windows 10 machines.

I’m currently only installing on CRM only servers if you use for print servics hold back on the update.

Regards,

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Could you be more specific please? We are interested.

Here in our company, domain users are not able to print on already installed printers, because elevation of user rights are required now to update printer drivers. Currently, users are not able to add printer from our printserver without admin rights. But I noticed, that verly lot of files are downloaded into system folder BEFORE the login prompt appears.
      Another issue we have is, that in the “Printers and Scanners” section, there is written “New driver is needed”, but there is no obvoius way how to do that. Unless you open the print spool and select File > Update driver. Cant they just add the button to the ms-settings: app, instead of taking the user into 20 years old print que interface?

Our daily tasks are more complicated now.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Seems very inconsistent reports say some are not effected but most are. I uninstalled the update from a single windows 10 client and now I can add the printer and print from the print server .

1 user thanked author for this post.

Maybe there is some GPO setting, that allows domain users to add the printer without admin rghts. Unfortunatelly I dont know which it is. Or at least I hope it exists, otherwise it would be very user unfriendly issue 🙂

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Joke:

Workaround: Verify that you are using the latest drivers for all your printing devices and where possible, use the same version of the print driver on the print client and print server.

The workaround is actually to install correct drivers on all client machines. Which requires the admin rights. Which is actually the issue. Which can be workarounded by updating the drivers on client machnes.

Do I understand it wrong, or did just Microsoft caught himself in an infinite loop?
      Source HERE.

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Also KB5005565

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

KB5005573

The issue I and others are having is a new one with KB5005573 not KB5005033…

I bet the solution with uninstalling the update causing problem works for all mentioned updates. Sad fact is, that even Microsoft is lost in the woods.

Its a really lame solution, to uninstall buggy patch, but it is at least some solution.

No qaulity assured from Microsoft side, if there is no testing department. Its very boorish attitude, and I dont buy the reasons, that there are myriads of HW combinations, its their duty to release correct fixes, especially when they literally forced enterprise cutomers into subscription model with neverending updates of their services (formerly products).
        Relying on volunteer customers to test it in the insider and dev cahnnel is unbelivable to me still.

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

I’ve seen two workarounds mentioned:

1. Remove the printer on the client PC.
      2. Add a user to the credential manager on the client PC for the server PC that has administrative privileges.
      3. Create an admin user on the server PC or use an existing one. (I have not had success with just a standard user.)
      4. Make sure credential manager user name contains the server’s PC name in front of the user name like this: ServerPCNAME\UserName
      5. Restart the print spooler service.
      6. Open an administrative command prompt and run the following command to launch the printer install UI as an administrator: —rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /il

Other way is  https://rdr-it.com/en/troubleshooting/kb5005573-error-0x0000011b-printing/

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.

2. Add a user to the credential manager on the client PC for the server PC that has administrative privileges.
        3. Create an admin user on the server PC or use an existing one. (I have not had success with just a standard user.)
        4. Make sure credential manager user name contains the server’s PC name in front of the user name like this: ServerPCNAME\UserName

Are you suggesting to allow user to gain admin privileges on the server? If I add the user with server admin privileges into credential manager, all performed actions on the server will be done with that privileges – eg. deleting files, installing programs or disabling services.

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

How to fix 0x0000011b

I apologize, I accidentally doubled the second recommendation wrote by @sb

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by doriel. Reason: same solution already provided
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    Reply To: KB5005573 Braking Printers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.