News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • KB890830 MRT deploys to unsupported Win7/2008

Posted on Victor ORear Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches KB890830 MRT deploys to unsupported Win7/2008

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tonyc035 4 days, 5 hours ago.

• Author

Victor ORear
      AskWoody Lounger

Windows Update is downloading and attempting to install KB890830 November 2019 Malicious Software Repair Tool on Win7 (actually WES7 and Win2008 systems) and according to the Update Catalog those OSs are no longer supported but it appears in WSUS and list listed as supported on the linked KB890830 page.

Perhaps the 32bit Win7/Win2008 is only WSUS deployed.

My WSUS shows the Win8 x86 MDT received an update on 11/15 but not the Win7 x86 patch.

I don’t believe it’s a SHA-2 Issue “Born: Microsoft incorrectly signed the MSRT update that’s been bouncing around. It’s fixed now” but I’ll check on SSU deployment.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Victor ORear.
    • #2017656 Reply

tonyc035
      AskWoody Plus

Hi Victor ORear.

KB890830 has shown up as Important and Checked in the Dec Patch Tuesday (today Dec 10)  patches offered on my Win 7 Hom Prem machine too.  I normally run this without any thought, but I’m holding off from this and all patches until Woody/Susan B say it’s okay.

Thanks!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: KB890830 MRT deploys to unsupported Win7/2008

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.