News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• KDE is to Linux what 7 was to Windows

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux – all distros KDE is to Linux what 7 was to Windows

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/kde-is-to-linux-what-7-was-to-windows/

Jack Wallen takes a look at the latest version of KDE Neon and comes away seriously impressed.

If you ask most devoted fans, Widows 7 was the best iteration of the desktop operating system. It still held true to the look and feel users had come to rely on but gave just enough modernity to pull it out of the cold, out-of-touch grip of the software Grim Reaper. That’s why, when Microsoft put the kibosh on Windows 7, the community at large was up in arms. They didn’t want to let go of what was familiar and what worked so well for them.

I see KDE as holding the same spot for Linux users. This open-source desktop has been, for some time, the perfect marriage of old and new school design and execution. It’s got all the goodness of the past, with just enough future flavor to make it feel like it’s both familiar and modern at the same time.

It’s because of that old-school feeling that I tend to not give KDE enough love. And that’s a shame because if KDE Neon (and version 5.22.1 of KDE) has shown me anything, it’s that this desktop deserves the attention and accolades it has missed for a while….

3 users thanked author for this post.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Ascaris uses KDE Neon (Plasma, I believe), it says so right in the signature panel of his comments. That is a recommendation for KDE Neon worth considering, in my opinion.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Mojave & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. Intego AV and Malwarebytes.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

I do indeed! Thanks for the kind words.

The original author of the article Alex linked to referred to the desktop environment as KDE. It used to be so, but now KDE is the group that develops it, and Plasma is the desktop environment itself.

I actually considered XP the best overall Windows version (in its day, of course), with its close cousin Windows 2000 taking the prize for the best GUI. Windows 7 needed some help from aftermarket programs to be as good as 2000 was by default, and as good as XP could be with a few settings changes, IMO.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.4 User Edition)

SallyBrown
        AskWoody Plus

I used KDE neon for quite a while.  It was bizarre how little memory it used and how quick it was.  Other Plasma distros are much bigger and slower on middling hardware. neon is a minimal Plasma distro without the redundant and niche packages offered in most Linux distros.  Kinda build your own.  It’s based on Ubuntu but is definitely not, in any way, a Kubuntu clone.

I liked it a lot until they updated the desktop with a gigantic Windows 11 style Start Menu (Launcher) that opened right in the middle of the panel.  Why????

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

SallyBrown: Sorry to hear about the new KDE screen arrangement. Have you tried installing a different desktop GUI? I have not tried to do this myself, but I understand that this is possible and that there is a number of desktops with different designs to choose from.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Mojave & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
          Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
          Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. Intego AV and Malwarebytes.

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

If you don’t like the default main menu, you can change it! Simply right click the menu button (Start button, for Windows users) and click Show Alternatives. There are three options that come with Plasma by default, and there may be more that you can download from KDE also (since it’s a widget).

I use the “Application menu” rather than the default “Application Launcher.” I don’t like the new Launcher either… it seems that the “we have to accommodate touchscreen” virus has hit KDE too, but you have other options right out of the box with Plasma.

The “menu” is a much more compact cascading menu that’s like a more evolved version of the Windows 95/2000 style start menu, which was always the one I used on any Windows version since 1995 (though in the last two versions, Win 7 and Win 8.1, I had to use Classic Shell to get it).

This is what it looks like (of course, you can theme it any way you like– dark, light, whatever you want). I included the full screen for scale.

Edit: oops, forgot to actually open the menu before screenshotting, and of course didn’t notice that until I already entered it. Here’s the better one.

Screenshot_20210722_180059

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.4 User Edition)

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: KDE is to Linux what 7 was to Windows

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.