News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Keep Caption with Figure

Posted on WSmusab Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        WSmusab
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi,

How can I force Word2000 to keep a Caption with the diagram/figure it is for. I am trying to avoid the scenario where the diagram sits at the base of a page and it’s caption ends up on the next page.

Thanks,

m.q.

• #511004 Reply
        WSmusab
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks.
        I modified the Caption Style withe the “Keep with Next” option. But my captions are under my figures. So don’t I need a “Keep with Previous”?!

Also when I tried this, it did not solve the problem. I am still having a figure (in this case a screen-shot) on the base of a page & it’s caption is forced onto a new page.

Pls. advise me if I am making a mistake here.
        Thanks,

m.q.

• #511006 Reply
          WSsilverback
          AskWoody Lounger

Musab
          I think this is a crude solution but why not group the picture and the caption together? Then at least the pagination issue reduces to only having to fit one object on the page.

• #511008 Reply
            WSmusab
            AskWoody Lounger

Grouping together sounds like an excellent solution; question is “how” ?

m.q.

• #511009 Reply
              WSsilverback
              AskWoody Lounger

Sorry – I forgot to include instructions in original reply.
              Get the Drawing toolbar up in Word(View|Toolbars|Drawing)
              Select the picture using left click then select the caption using Shift and Left click.
              On the drawing bar, click on the down arrow next to the DRAW command, then select Group. Both items will be grouped together.
              If you have previously set Word Wrapping attributes for the picture (right click, format picture then the Wrapping tab) you may find that the grouped object suddenly jumps to another location. To get it back, find it (!) enter format object as described above, then click on the Position tab. Ensure the Float over Text box is checked. Then click on the wrapping tab and set your options. Finally, drag and drop the picture into position.
              Have fun.

• #511066 Reply
          Andrew Lockton
          AskWoody_MVP

musab

You put a style on the graphic itself and use ‘Keep with Next’ on that paragraph instead of doing anything to the Caption style. The Caption style should NOT have ‘Keep with Next’ on.

• #511031 Reply
        WSsilverback
        AskWoody Lounger

KT
        I don’t think so – to be honest, I’ve never tried it. I ‘just assumed’ that the caption had been added using Insert|Caption – because that’s what I do. Sorry, I am new to the lounge and have to learn that everybody works in different ways and so any suggestions must not assume.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Keep Caption with Figure

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.