News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Keka v1.1.29. File Archiver

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Keka v1.1.29. File Archiver

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

“So simple, so strong

You do not even need to open Keka to compress a file, keep it in your dock and use it from there.
        Just drag and drop your files and folders to the Dock icon or the Keka window to create a slimmer version of them.”

https://www.oldergeeks.com/downloads/file.php?id=3344

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2270011 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Why would you need to compress a file these days? Hard disks are cheap.

cheers, Paul

• #2270026 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

Maybe for sharing, without needing such big files?

Keka v1.1.29

-the macOS file archiver
          Store more, share with privacy

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2270189 Reply
          anonymous

It’s generally good practice to zip up a file before sharing it, especially if it’s a large file, to reduce the amount of bandwidth – both on your end and on whoever is downloading the file. Why force someone to download 2 GB when compressing the file would reduce it to 1 GB?

While Windows and macOS have native support for .zip files, third-party tools are needed for file formats that are more efficient. I personally love .7z files, but neither OS has native support for those.

On Windows I use 7-Zip and on macOS I use Keka. Both are excellent programs that just work, get what I need done, and stay out of the way with no annoying nags or unsolicited prompts.

The ability to split up files into multiple pieces is one of the best things I’ve ever discovered. Recently I had to move an entire virtual machine from one PC to another. The exported virtual machine file (one single file) was about 12 GB, and I only had an 8 GB flash drive on hand. So I split the file into two files – one piece was 7 GB, the other 5 GB. I put the first file into the flash drive, carried it over, then came back and got the second file. I then extracted the two files over on the second PC. Success! The entire virtual machine got moved over with very little effort.

Bottom line is that compressing files into archive file formats isn’t about saving space, it’s about moving files.

• #2270027 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Maybe for sharing, without needing such big files?

Keka v1.1.29

-the macOS file archiver
        Store more, share with privacy

The app split big files into small files when sharing, sending..

“Still too big…

If the files are really huge and they do not fit your mail or server, just split them into pieces.
        Don’t worry, they will still expand to produce your original file :)”

• #2270245 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

A similar app for unarchiving files is The Unarchiver. I did a review on it a while back.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Keka v1.1.29. File Archiver

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.