• Keyloggers

Author
    Topic

Windows Secrets ‘Prevent keyloggers from grabbing your passwords’ offers ways to help avoid password stealing etc. But nowadays, many sites eg banks, use special ‘one time use’ codes that you generate from a small hand held unit and use in addition to your customer number and password. Doesn’t the use of a one time code provide full security?
    Ron

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

But nowadays, many sites eg banks, use special ‘one time use’ codes that you generate from a small hand held unit and use in addition to your customer number and password. Doesn’t the use of a one time code provide full security?

Assuming no one else can determine the necessary code, i.e., there is no detectable pattern, then the customer number and password could not be used to log in successfully to the online banking system. They still might be useful for a social engineering attack in some cases.

A one-time-passcode is pretty robust, so long as you require a hardware device as well as knowing a PIN you are reasonably protected against keyloggers and replay attacks.

A one-time-passcode is pretty robust, so long as you require a hardware device as well as knowing a PIN you are reasonably protected against keyloggers and replay attacks.

Thanks for all your inputs. Yes, the hand held one-time device has its own PIN number to access a one-time code which then has to line up with a bank code on-line after you have entered your customer account number and your own PIN.
          Crickey … soon it will be easier to pop down to the local bank branch to do your transactions … but of course they do not keep money now ’cause they say ‘go use our in-the-wall machine to get your money! Or is it their money?
          Ron

Crickey … soon it will be easier to pop down to the local bank branch to do your transactions …
            Ron

Ron,
            I have YET to have the need to use an ATM. Haven’t even bothered to get PIN numbers.
            Plan ahead, get my cash before hand. I get out of the car and WALK into the bank, greet the teller and get my transactions done. Even get a smile from the teller!

Ron,
              I have YET to have the need to use an ATM. Haven’t even bothered to get PIN numbers.
              Plan ahead, get my cash before hand. I get out of the car and WALK into the bank, greet the teller and get my transactions done. Even get a smile from the teller!

Can I use your account!!!!
              Ron

Can I use your account!!!!
              Ron

Did you want to use the drive-in?
              Long drive from Norway. Kinda damp also!

Did you want to use the drive-in?
              Long drive from Norway. Kinda damp also!

Good one Bob … Cape Cod must be a bit like here, wet and cold!
              Oh, and send me a picture of your teller!
              Keep well
              Ron

Good one Bob … Cape Cod must be a bit like here, wet and cold!
              Oh, and send me a picture of your teller!
              Keep well
              Ron

Well, today is wet and COOL, still in the mid-sixties to seventies.
              My teller? OK Taken a while back but….

Ron,

Same here. I go into the bank for all my transactions. It may not always be the handiest thing to do but I do feel safer. I have had to show ID to a new teller once in a while but this is a small thing and they are correct if they do not know me.
              Regards,
              Slim

Ron,

Ha. I have used a credit union for the last 17 years. I do all my banking by mail and over the net. I have never had any problems. The last time I physically visited the office was years ago, can’t even remember exactly when. I never use ATM machines. Instead, I take extra cash out at almost any place that accepts debit cards (grocery & drug stores, U.S. Post Office, etc.). Never a fee!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Reply To: Keyloggers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: