News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Laptop Use With Lid Closed

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions: What hardware should I get? Laptop Use With Lid Closed

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Monte Montana
        AskWoody Plus

I need to bring a computer in my airline luggage.

It would be powered like a mid-level gaming machine.  My wife is the user and is VERY hard on things (e.g. a replacement keyboard once a year).  So, if I can use a laptop with an external screen, mouse, etc that would solve the luggage problem (as opposed to a larger, heavier desktop unit).

So, can I do this?  Will a closed lid while being used cause overheating?  Any other potential problems?

Thanks in advance!

bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

Will a closed lid while being used cause overheating? Any other potential problems?

Typically, no.  I have a Dell Latitude E5420 that has been operating with a closed lid for several years, now, and it’s still going strong.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

2 users thanked author for this post.
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

How can you use a laptop w/ the lid closed?

I think upon re reading OP it must be w/ external Monitor, KB etc. so as that is likely the case

please disregard this.

Apologies

BobbyB
        AskWoody Lounger

Use the very same my self, just delve into the Power settings and adjust accordingly. Of special note, obviously, adjust the power settings to “do nothing” when the lid is closed and or any specific BIOS settings applicable to your machine. This particular setup here cant enter sleep mode without fishing it out from under the Monitor and using the onbord Key Board to rouse it from sleep but as I require it on for access either by regular network access elsewhere on the Network or even by Remote Desktop its not really a chore. A quick check of the settings and a wee bit of experimentation should get you the combination you wish. As DrifyDonN says above, this works with an external monitor, and the Laptop here is a “cheapy” ancient 2015 Acer, works well and typically runs Win 10 Pro without any shutdowns or problems literally 24/7 only shutting down/restarting at updates or the occasional Software install. No overheating or any adverse effects what so ever and, probably unimportant to most folks, but a very neat and unbtrusive desk top “footprint” leaving, “sigh” room for mundane regular paperwork.

As an afterthought purchase or use of an external key board and Mouse is pretty obvious pre-requisite, or a reasonably priced Logitech Wireless Key board and mouse means two less cables snaking thier way over the desk and less of a mess of “spaghetti” at the back of the machine. 😉

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

delve into the Power settings and adjust accordingly. Of special note, obviously, adjust the power settings to “do nothing” when the lid is closed

First task. Otherwise, the laptop may sleep/hibernate, etc., based on your power settings for lid close action.

I almost always use an external 24″ monitor, plus wireless keyboard/mouse combo with my laptop, except when traveling.

Ascaris
        AskWoody MVP

Never had a problem using a laptop that was closed either. Many people use them like this… it’s a defective laptop if it can’t handle being used with the lid closed.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.3 User Edition)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Never had a problem using a laptop that was closed either.

As was the case for years with our work laptops. Always closed and inserted/locked in a docking station/port replicator at our desks, unless laptop was carried to a meeting or taken home.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Laptop Use With Lid Closed

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.