News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Last Security Updates Installed October 2016

Posted on WSBirdLady Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Last Security Updates Installed October 2016

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

WSBirdLady
      AskWoody Lounger

When Microsoft decided to change the update system on Windows 7, I chose to be in Group W.  After about a year, I decided to quit doing Office Updates as well.  Occasionally I wondered if I was taking a huge risk, but every time I checked the Defcon Rating, it was at 2 (or worse), which is essentially “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”  So now as the Windows 7 EOL approaches, I am considering my options.

My computer is 8 years old, and I am aware that newer machines will come with Windows 10.  I use Windows 10 at work, and my husband’s computer is a Windows 10 machine, so I won’t have a horrendous learning curve, but I intend to keep my current computer running as long as possible.  I am a very careful surfer, NEVER use Internet Explorer, I keep my anti-virus up-to-date, scan with Malwarebytes periodically, delete any suspicious-looking email without opening, and back up my computer frequently.

My first question is, am I alone in my update (non-update) strategy?  What have others experienced?  And since I have no problems at present, should I continue on this course, with the clock ticking away in the background?  Some of the worst computer problems I encountered in the past involved updates which were intended to make me “safer”, but instead caused hours or days of headaches.  I have no wish to repeat that experience, especially to fix problems which I do not have.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2017619 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You have quite a bit of information along those lines.

@canadian-tech has been supporting a group of people who quit patching in May 2017. He has written extensively about about not patching here. You can read his answers to questions on the Lounge.

On the other side, we have a special Forum on win7 beyond end of life. There are numerous topics from those who are determined to keep using Win7 after EOL.

If you decide to bring your computer up to date and keep using it after EOL. There are a couple of procedures you may want to read through on how to bring your computer up to date here and here.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Last Security Updates Installed October 2016

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.