News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Last update knocked out my audio

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Last update knocked out my audio

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Zig 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Roger
      AskWoody Lounger

The last update knocked out my audio.  I can test the mic, and I can see the audio fingers moving when there’s audio, but I hear nothing.  everything seems to be on, but – no sound.  How do I find out what app is running the audio, and what do I need to check that I’m missing?

• #1377055 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Try the audio troubleshooter at Settings, Update & Security, Troubleshoot, Playing Audio.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1378129 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

@Roger-

Understand that I’m non-techy and just repeating what others have been told, in similar circumstances (and maybe someone with that kind of knowledge will step up here)…

But, it sounds like a possible driver issue… if you haven’t blocked driver updates…

Update drivers in Windows 10 in Windows Support details how to access and use the Device Manager. They are very cheerful about getting driver updates through Windows Update, although your experience isn’t that unusual… The last step in ‘Update the Device Driver’ is:

If Windows doesn’t find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer’s website and follow their instructions.

Finding the manufacturer’s latest drivers may solve the problem. Many people prefer not to update drivers unless there is an actual need… but W10 seems to think it knows best, resulting in occasional problems, like yours.

There is an option in the Device Manager, (if you right click on the device, select Properties, then Driver tab), to roll back to the previously installed driver if the update doesn’t work. Unfortunately, if you roll back without blocking driver updates in W10, Windows will ‘update’ to it again… and again…

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #1410269 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

@roger, can you let us know which version of W10 are you using?
      what soundcard is in your system?
      and was the last update installed kb4495667?
      thanks in advance

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1421701 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

before Roger can do anything here, he should post the specs of his computer by running Speccy and save its report

he has not specified whether he is using a desktop computer or a notebook/laptop computer

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1449990 Reply

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

Are you using a Creative X-Fi soundcard? (See today’s “Ask Woody”.)

Zig

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Last update knocked out my audio

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.