Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Latest cumulative update for 1511

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 cumulative updates Latest cumulative update for 1511

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

fp
      AskWoody Lounger

In the MS Update Catalog the latest cumulative update is:

• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB4016636)     Windows 10     Updates     3/23/2017     n/a     1070.3 MB

Following it are the 2 updates:

• Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB4015220)     Windows 10     Critical Updates     4/7/2017     n/a     11.9 MB
      • Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB4017099)     Windows 10     Updates     3/28/2017     n/a     226 KB

A few questions:

1. I see no separate security updates — do I understand it correctly that everything is bundled into these, including non-security updates?

2. I have cleaned Win10 of Cortana, Edge and other bloat; I have also blocked telemetry. Is there any chance  that if I apply these updates, they will bring them back?

3. Will they upgrade the system from 1511 to any of the later versions?

Thanks.

• #115297 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Yes, the Win10 cumulative updates include security patches.

Yes, there is a chance that applying a cumulative update will bring back pieces of Win10.

Yes, although if you want to upgrade through Windows Update, you have to go to the latest version. Right now, that’s 1703.

• #115361 Reply

anonymous

So basically MS is blackmailing users: if they want the security protection they can only get it by upgrading to latest version and accept Cortana, Edge, Telemetry and all the other nonsense. So I must choose between risk of attack and MS exploiting me.

Given that my understanding is that infection must be initiated by a click on an email I’ll take the risk.

• #115365 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

Given that my understanding is that infection must be initiated by a click on an email I’ll take the risk.

If you are referencing the current Wannacry malware, it would appear you misunderstand, sorry.

From @VessOnSecurity

The point of entry isn’t e-mail. The worm has no e-mail replication mechanism. Even if it was seeded by spam, we have no evidence.

There is still so much that is not known about the current Wannacry malware, which continues to evolve, so it is very risky to expect you are not vulnerable.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Latest cumulative update for 1511

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.