News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Latest update to Win10 restored "shortcut" to file names

Posted on areader Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Latest update to Win10 restored "shortcut" to file names

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  b 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

areader
      AskWoody Plus

“Shortcut” has returned to all my newly created shortcut names (La Chaîne any.pdf – Shortcut), and I deleted my “fixit” note when I upgraded my last computer to Win10. Please tell me how to fix this.

• #1880233 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

Assuming that Win10 is the same as Win 7, there are at least 3 easy ways:
      1) Right-click on the shortcut > Rename. The entire File-ID will be highlighted. Re-highlight only the portion that you want to delete. Caution: Be careful to remove only the “- Shortcut” section. It is too easy also to remove the filetype [ .xxx ] part of the File-Id.
      2) Right-click on the shortcut > Properties > (tab) General > in the box, modify the name any way that you wish.
      3) Left-click on the name (bottom) portion of the shortcut (not the icon picture), pause, and left-click again. (Don’t double-left-click). See caution in (1).

• #1880362 Reply

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

The above is for onesy-twosy changes on the Desktop.
        If you have many, navigate to your Desktop [ C:\Users\user-id\Desktop ], and use method 1) or 2) above on the problem items.

• #1880332 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

For future shortcuts it’s a couple of registry tweaks. The easy way is Steps 3 – 6 at;

To Turn Off Shortcut Name Extension for New Shortcuts (at TenForums.com)

(The batch file is safe to download and run; I just checked it.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1880380 Reply

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Oops: not a link.
        Maybe this was intended?

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
        • #1881265 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

Yes. Affirmative. Confirming as intended.

(Would say thanks too, but that would get deleted.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1880733 Reply

areader
      AskWoody Plus

Ack! Eek! The .bat file (which was what I wanted: no “shortcut” added to any future files) turned off both the ability to right click and do *anything* and the taskbar itself. I will try to fix these and get back to you folks.

• #1880741 Reply

areader
      AskWoody Plus

A complete restart the brute force way (pull out the battery while Windows was open, the restart the computer) got me back everything and the bat file does exactly what I wanted.

Thank you all!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Latest update to Win10 restored "shortcut" to file names

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.