News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • LibreOffice 7: Now more Microsoft-compatible — and still free

Posted on Rick Corbett Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version LibreOffice 7: Now more Microsoft-compatible — and still free

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Given a choice between Office 2019 and the just-released LibreOffice 7.0, your pick should be open-source’s top office suite LibreOffice. After all, as Jared Spataro, then Microsoft’s corporate vice president for Office and Windows group, said, Office 2019’s applications are “frozen in time. They don’t ever get updated with new features.” Of course, what Spataro wants is for you to move to the cloud-based Microsoft 365 where the “apps keep getting better over time.”

LibreOffice 7: Now more Microsoft-compatible — and still free

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2286801 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

..and doesn’t suffer from outages, dodgy patches or login issues with the added benefit that the Libre office suite is windows 7 compatible.
        ‘Seven on Seven’ sounds good but, I’ll wait for the first point release before going there 🙂

Win8.1 Pro x64 + Linux Hybrids x86/x64 + Win7 Pro x86/64 O/L
      • #2286855 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ll wait for the first point release before going there

Well yes, and https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ says 7.0 is for early adopters and such.

7.0.1 is expected to be published around week 36. (LibreOffice is on a fairly well-defined release plan.)

Though going through the release notes and some of the bug trackers, might wait until 7.0.2 if you’re a heavy spreadsheet user… there was fairly major work done on the internals. (FINALLY getting the column limit raised but…)

• #2286879 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

“After all, as Jared Spataro, then Microsoft’s corporate vice president for Office and Windows group, said, Office 2019’s applications are “frozen in time. They don’t ever get updated with new features.”

He says that like it’s a bad thing.

Group "L" (Fedora 32 Linux w/ KDE Plasma).

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2286883 Reply
        Carl D
        AskWoody Lounger

Good news.

But, like quite a few others I’m a bit wary of the “early adopter” releases. Last time I tried installing one of those (which, admittedly was a couple of years ago) the installer ‘crashed’ halfway through the install – over and over.

I’ll stick with the ‘older’ versions for now. In fact, I’ve just updated to 6.4.5 about an hour ago.

Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H Motherboard, Intel i5-7600 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics Card, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 2004 64bit.

• #2286910 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I use the portable version of LibreOffice, so I’ll just wait (never used Microsoft Office since working with computers 50+ years ago).

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: LibreOffice 7: Now more Microsoft-compatible — and still free

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.