Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Series of Routers: Security Advisory

Home Forums Code Red – Security advisories Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Series of Routers: Security Advisory

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 2 months ago.

• Author

Kirsty
      AskWoody MVP

Linksys Security Advisory
      http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=246427

After being alerted to security vulnerabilities by ioactive.com, Linksys have issued a security advisory for the following Smart Wifi Series Routers:
      WRT Series: WRT1200AC, WRT1900AC, WRT1900ACS, WRT3200ACM

EAxxxx Series: EA2700, EA2750, EA3500, EA4500 v3, EA6100, EA6200, EA6300, EA6350 v2, EA6350 v3, EA6400, EA6500, EA6700, EA6900, EA7300, EA7400, EA7500, EA8300, EA8500, EA9200, EA9400, EA9500

Linksys are working on a firmware update to address the flaws; the advisory recommends changing the default administrator password, disable Wifi Guest Network (if not being used), and enabling automatic updates.

The vulnerabilities are detailed in http://blog.ioactive.com/2017/04/linksys-smart-wi-fi-vulnerabilities.html

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by  Kirsty.
      • This topic was modified 2 months ago by  Kirsty.
      • This topic was modified 2 months ago by  Kirsty. Reason: Formatting
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #109979 Reply

anonymous

Thank you for the advisory on Ask Woody Kristy.
      A bit of history since I am the persistent anon that like to help. Been a reader without posting for several years. Then one day Woody posted an artical on the trouble going on with the WD firmware. That was one issue that got my hackles raised.
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/western-digital-my-cloud-customers-turn-off-cloud-access-now-2/
      The ohter was the Privacy vote (ISP/FCC) going down in the Senate then House.

Before these reading and thus serious focus on the site as well as posting, I was engrossed with the firmware of another router that I can not mention. It had/has a default security issue concerning DoDS. Meaning that the vendor’s firmware was updated to grant one the ability to turn off the API that was on by default causing Cert (TA13-088A).

I was following Krebs last September/Oct/Nov/Dec thur the election and was at the time tesing this new purchase from our estemmed Sponsor to the right. This site (to the right) has a well established user comment feature.

We’ve all been there and read or posted comments based on our experiences; and it is mostly a pleasant experience. Yet what I had found is that after finding a vunerablity, working with the vendor, and posting my review; I experienced a drop in my review rating from within a hundred thousand to an over 75 million. Example: User since 2004 (89,542 to 75,000,000).

Do not doubt that a vendor can call within their masses and have you downvoted. Regardless of their product being faulty/in a lawsuit/and priced to move; one can get mowed down. There exists lobbies even away from the nitch of political spectrum.
      Whats that term nowadays… buthurt? SMILE its all good.

• #110009 Reply

anonymous

Changing the default passwords & disabling the guest network is plain common sense.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Series of Routers: Security Advisory

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.