News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Linux Kernel 5.13 RC brings official support for Apple’s M1 chip

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux – all distros Linux Kernel 5.13 RC brings official support for Apple’s M1 chip

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Linux Kernel 5.13 RC brings official support for Apple’s M1 chip

It was reported last month that Linux was about to get official support for the new Macs with the M1 chip, which could potentially arrive in June with the upcoming Linux Kernel 5.13 release. The first RC build of Linux Kernel 5.13 was released this week, and Linus Torvalds himself confirmed that it supports Apple’s M1 chip.

As seen in the release notes of the latest Linux update, the new 5.13 Kernel adds support for several chips based on the ARM architecture — including the Apple M1. This means that users will finally be able to run Linux natively on the new M1 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac…

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Official support for Linux but running the 2D compositor on the CPU cores and no 3D GPU acceleration as of yet there as far as I’m aware. But that M1 is an amazing SOC with loads of other specialized heterogeneous compute blocks such as the NPU and DSP IP in addition to the Integrated Graphics and Firestorm(Performance)/Icestorm(Efficiency) CPU cores.

So being able to tap all of that Integrated Graphics and NPU IP and that heterogeneous compute via some of the more modern Graphics and AI APIs and via Linux is not going to be an easy task and will take standard Linux Time to get supported.

So if things progress at the usual Pace, and I’m using my AMD Ryzen Mini PC and Laptop that are currently running Zen+ generation  Ryzen 3400G(desktop APU) and Ryzen 5 3550H(Mobile APU) systems and that Linux Support takes time even with the APUs being based on Zen+ and 2 generations previous to the current Zen-3 based APUs that will take even later Linux Kernels to get most(not All) feature support up and in reasonable order!

So Apple’s a bit more for complicated  with its M1’s feature sets than any of the x86 based SOCs/APUs with their Integrated Graphics with neither Intel or AMD shipping those with NPUs and the Kinds of DSP IP that the ARM SOC makers have been including on their ARM based Phone and Tablets for some years now, and Apple’s M1 is PC/laptop grade with all that included.

And for my AMD APU based systems I’m still trying to get some of AMD’s OpenCL driver/API support working for Blender 3D’d GPU accelerated Cycles rendering support on Linux Mint 20.1 for both the laptop and the Mini Desktop PC. And here with the Blender Foundation Just announcing its Cycles-X for the future of Blender 3D Cycles rendering support and that Cycles-X has no plans for OpenCL support there so once again with Cycles-X, like the original Cycles ~10 years ago, and only Nvidia’s GPUs will be supported there and under Nvidia’s CUDA/OptiX Proprietary APIs!

So How much of the M1’s special Heterogeneous compute IP will be reasonably supported in a few years Time and that really is the  question for Linux Compared to MacOS. And I have just Viewed a rather nice Video of an experimental Native M1/ARM complied version of Blender 3D and some Viewport oriented workflows where the Animator is working on the 3D character’s animation in the sequencer so that Character’s 3D mesh model’s animation fluidity can be assessed and the x86 version of Blender 3D running on an Intel based laptop compared to this Native ARM version of Blender 3D. And the Animator unable get close to 30FPS with the x86 test while the M1 on the same scene/Character is able to maintain a nice rate of around a 60FPS animation in that Viewport and the animator able to check that for the proper fluidity to a much greater degree on that amazing M1 SOC.

But that’s Apple’s OS/API and Application ecosystem there for the M1 running MacOS and all of the hardware’s Bells and Whistles pretty well tested and validated by Apple and in a state that’s very much more polished than the Windows/x86 system in that comparison. So the Linux Folks have to reverse engineer all that if possible and that’s no easy task there as my AMD system on Linux Mint show and Linux support there for all the Ryzen/Zen+ APUs features not yet fully implemented under the Linux Kernel just yet and Zen-2 is just given way to Zen-3 APUs and some things there that will not be supported for maybe 1 or 2 more years on some later Linux Kernel.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Linux Kernel 5.13 RC brings official support for Apple’s M1 chip

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.