News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Linux Laptop Buyer's Guide (Dec 1st 2018)

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux Laptop Buyer's Guide (Dec 1st 2018)

Topic Resolution: Not a Question
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

For those who may be interested or contemplating a Linux based laptop,
        Linux Journal have just released reviews on four different laptops.
        These reviews are in pdf format to download and read at your convenience.
        The review articles within the pdf cover the following laptops:

* Google Chromebook
        * Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition
        * Librem 13 v2
        * System76 Oryx

For more info and a link to pdf download see:
        https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-laptop-buyers-guide

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
        3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1893009 Reply
        Klaas Vaak
        AskWoody Lounger

Slimbook is another possibility of a solidly built laptop (aluminium frame), OS=Linux (Windows at a premium !), and you can compose it yourself. The prices are good. Can only be ordered online, shipping worldwide.

1x Linux Mint 19.1 | 1x Linux antiX

• #2211412 Reply
        anonymous

As far as new laptops I’m going to try my Asus TUF FX505DY laptop(AMD Ryzen 3550H and Redeon RX 560X diecrete mobile GPU) based laptop with Linux Mint 19.3. But only after the Linux Kernel version 5.6 makes its way inside the Mint maintainers repo and is available for updating Mint 19.3’s kernel(needed driver updates). But there is a Phoronix article(1) on the possibility the System76 folks, once they have begun offering their own in-house designed laptops, offering AMD’s Ryzen APUs in their laptops. System76 already offers Desktop Ryzen CPU based in-house designed offerings. And I’d really love it if the System76 folks would design a Mini-Desktop form factor line of products as well similar in design to Intel’s NUC, or even HP’s, Dell’s, and Lenovo’s business grade Mini-Desktop form factor products with AMD’s Ryzen Pro branded CPUs/APUs inside.

For folks with older laptops:

I have an HP ProBook 4540s(Intel Ivy Bridge quad core i7, 3632QM) and a Radeon 7650M(Terascale GPU micro architecture that’s 7 generations back from the newest AMD GPU technology) discrete mobile GPU. And it’s doing great running Linux Mint 19.3 and actually can run Blender 3D 2.8/Later with no issues unlike the issues it has when the ProBook is running Blender 3D 2.8/Later under Windows 7/7 Pro(Dual booted with Mint 19.3).

So I’m actually still able to use the Laptop under Mint 19.3/Linux whereas Blender 3D 2.8/Later has some newer OpenGL version requirements that are not being supported under Windows 7/7(EOL) and really 7’s has not been getting much in the way of continued support for 3+ years, as is 8/8.1.

So Linux is the best option for the old workhorse ProBook 4540s and this particular make/model of ProBook has a socketed CPU and that’s replaceable along with a DVD-RW/CD-RW/Player that can be swapped out easily with a DVD/CD Bay/Drive to DVD/CD Bay SSD/Hard-Drive adaptor(Caddy). So that laptop’s SATA Bay can be used for Expansion if one wants a second SATA/Hard Drive/SSD. And there are plenty of interesting YouTube videos targeting the  HP ProBook 4540s for processor replacement/upgrade(Within the Ivy Bridge Mobile CPU generation of processors) at a very affordable price but sadly the discrete mobile GPU is soldered to the motherboard.

But some of the old pre-Ultrabook Business grade laptops were very upgrade friendly and had much better options, if one is not all obsessed with thin and light laptops, as the older business grade workhorse laptops are great to get used and are manufactured to a higher quality level owing to the business grade laptop branding and 3+ year warranty when new, unlike consumer grade laptops.

And all is not lost if one decides to remove that DVD-RW/CD-RW/Player for a hard drive/SSD upgrade as there are internal DVD-RW/CD-RW to external USB DVD-RW/CD-RW enclosures that will make that internal DVD-RW/CD-RW device into an external USB device and usable across all one’s PCs/Laptops.

I’ve 3 other even older generation Intel core i7 based laptops(1 ASUS U56E Sandybridge, dual core i5 and 1 Samsung Series 3, Sandybridge quad core i7, and 1 Toshiba C655-S5061 with a dual core i3/Arrandale-Westmere frst generation processor. And all 3 laptops doing fine running 7/7 Pro dual booted with mint 19.3 after 7’s EOL for consumers.

(1)

“System76 May Offer AMD Ryzen Laptops When They Begin Their Own Manufacturing
        Written by Michael Larabel in Hardware on 21 March 2020 at 12:48 PM EDT.”

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=System76-AMD-Laptop-Possibility

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Linux Laptop Buyer's Guide (Dec 1st 2018)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.