News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Local AND Microsoft Account?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Local AND Microsoft Account?

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

If I go to Settings my account shows as a Microsoft account.  If I go to Control Panel / Users, it shows as a local account.

How can I get these the same?

Chuck Billow

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

You cant get those the same. Its different information. Old control panel shows your local account, that is used to manage Windows. Its connected with your Microsoft Account. In Settings app, you see your Microsoft Account used to sync your data to cloud.

You cant have only Microsft account without logging into Windows without local account. Your account already is Microsoft account, you dont need to create another one.

You laready asked here.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Chuck
        Can you show us a screen shot of the Accounts ‘Your Info’ & the Control Panels ‘User Accounts’

I use a Local Account and this is what I have. It shows Local Account in both.

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Now Im not sure what Chuck is trying to achieve.

@CWBillow
          do you want to dismiss the MS account, or do you want your Control panel to show “Microsoft account”?

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

Doriel, guess I’m becoming old and feeble-brained. I went back and read the first post, and I see that it was answered, that yes, you can and do have both an MS and a local account.

I guess I was expecting the Control Panel to show the MS account instead of, or in addition to the local account.  There’s no chance of conflicting information between the two accounts then, I suppose.  Strange that I never noticed that before.

I got into this a bit deeper than usual because the PC I originally bought had Home Premium, which I upgraded to Pro.  When my machine died, and HP replaced it, they sent me the original, configuration, back to Home Premium.  Because I had had a registered copy of Pro on the machine when it died, Microsoft upgraded me to Pro for free.  It was in using Home Premium before the (free) upgrade that I found the differences between Home Premium and Pro, and found that some things I was used to doing I couldn’t do on Home Premium.  In having tried to do some things is where I first noticed the dual accounts.  I had thought that all I had was a MS account, so the local was a surprise.

The two different faces — local and MS — of my user account weren’t explained during W10’s install — or at least not that I noticed.  Since I have found some things that an MS account can do that a local cannot, and vice versa, and that Home Premium cannot do that Pro can, I am just trying to make sure that I did or did not do something to one account that needed to be then synced with the other.

Chuck Billow

b
          AskWoody MVP

There is no such thing as Windows 10 Home Premium. It’s just Windows 10 Home.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1052 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

I guess I was expecting the Control Panel to show the MS account instead of, or in addition to the local account. There’s no chance of conflicting information between the two accounts then, I suppose. Strange that I never noticed that before.

– Old control panel was desingned way before MS Account existed, so thats why it displays local account. Its OK, there is nothing to be worried about. You dont need to do anything.

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

Sorry ’bout that.

Chuck Billow

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Local AND Microsoft Account?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.