News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Local or Microsoft account?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Local or Microsoft account?

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

If I view my account via Control Panel / Users it shows as a Local account.  But if I click Settings, the account, same name, shows My Microsoft account.

Is it local or Microsoft?  If NOT a Microsoft account, how do I make it one?

Chuck Billow

WSbellboy
        AskWoody Plus

If you go to settings-accounts-your info, what does it say about your account type there?  Mine is a local account and it shows it to be a local account there and in control panel-user accounts also.

WSbellboy
        AskWoody Plus

I forgot to add that when you go to settings-account-your info, it should have a link for you to change account type.

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

It shows as a Microsoft account via settings-accounts-your info, but via control-panel-user accounts it shows as local.

Chuck Billow

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

I think even if you create MS account in the Windows 10 OoBE (after you bought your PC and turned it on for the forst time), it will create local account too. Because you created administrator for your computer. And such user must be local account.

The local account is “underneath” the MS account.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

Ah.

Thanks.

Chuck Billow

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Local or Microsoft account?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.