News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Long clip art name

Posted on WSBlueflame Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 22 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  access-mdb 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

WSBlueflame
      AskWoody Lounger

I download some clip art to play about with in Publisher 2000.

I named most of it from the web site just copied the name that was on the site and pasted it in.

But one piece had a very long name, and that is where the problem comes in.

I cannot open it I am told “Name to long try a shorter name” Cannot rename it get the same answer. Cannot delete it get the same answer. Cannot use Wise Force Delete the menu on the programme says “Gets rid of any file that can’t be deleted by Windows” but not this one.

This is the file name

clipart_illustration_of_a_businessman_reading_a_list_with_a_surprised_look_on_his_face_he_is_smoking_a_cigar_0521-1012-0921-2200_SMU

Blueflame

• #1591695 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

Have you tried using del in command prompt? Right click on the windows logo and select command prompt. Navigate to where the file is and try deleting it.
      You can use dir /x to see if it has a short name (would be of the form clipar~1). If it has then you could try using that to delete it (or possibly rename it).
      Good luck

• #1591708 Reply

WSBlueflame
      AskWoody Lounger

Never done anything like that, had a look at the command prompt, but I don’t know where to start thanks any way

Blueflame

• #1591761 Reply

bharder
      AskWoody Lounger

1). Fire up File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer);
      2). Find the clipart folder (it might be in My Pictures, or in one of the MS Office clipart folders);
      3). In the left hand window, point at the folder containing the clipart and [B]Shift-Right Click[/B];
      4). Click Open Command Window Here;
      5). In the command window, type this:

Code:
      del clipart_illustration_of_a_businessman_reading_a_list*.*

That should do it!

• #1591776 Reply

access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

1). Fire up File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer);
        2). Find the clipart folder (it might be in My Pictures, or in one of the MS Office clipart folders);
        3). In the left hand window, point at the folder containing the clipart and [B]Shift-Right Click[/B];
        4). Click Open Command Window Here;
        5). In the command window, type this:

Code:
        del clipart_illustration_of_a_businessman_reading_a_list*.*

That should do it!

Well, I didn’t know you could get to a particular folder in the Command Prompt that way. It beats having to type a long screed on how to do this – enter (without quotes) “cd foldername” etc etc!
        It will be interesting to see if del (or rename) works with this file using wildcards.

• #1591883 Reply

bharder
          AskWoody Lounger

I didn’t know you could get to a particular folder in the Command Prompt that way.

Yeah, it’s a great convenience. However it doesn’t always work and I don’t know why. For instance I have trouble with this technique in Windows 10. One restriction is that you cannot point to folders in the right hand window and I dislike that; I value interface consistency and this is an inconsistency. In Windows XP there was a utility that added this to your menus but that utility is apparently obsolete now.

It will be interesting to see if del (or rename) works with this file using wildcards.

I’m quite sure it will work; in fact, when you’ve managed to box yourself into a corner with a long filename, wildcards are often the only thing that will work. They have saved me on many occasions!

:B):

• #1591771 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You can also rename it so you can open it.
      Step 5, type this: clipart_illustration_of_a_businessman_reading_a_list*.* business_surprise.*

cheers, Paul

• #1591779 Reply

WSdogberry
      AskWoody Lounger

What you have provided is something that looks like a long string of characters but which is really two strings. You have a space in the middle.

Did it look like this?

• #1591801 Reply

satrow
        AskWoody MVP

What you have provided is something that looks like a long string of characters but which is really two strings. You have a space in the middle.

There’s a bug in the forum editor/composer where it adds a space after the 25th character, most frequently seen with Regedit strings.

• #1591970 Reply

WSdogberry
          AskWoody Lounger

There’s a bug in the forum editor/composer where it adds a space after the 25th character, most frequently seen with Regedit strings.

Does this mean The Lounge is providing alternative facts?

• #1591969 Reply

WSdogberry
      AskWoody Lounger

Your description of your starting-point for the search was pretty vague. Did you go to Microsoft Office Tools – Microsoft Clip Organizer to look for it, or is the clip organizer part of your workflow at all?

• #1591982 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

No alt facts here – we’ve banned the NYT so it’s fixed!

cheers, Paul

• #1592002 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

try this
      https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/134840-open-command-window-here-add-remove-shift-right-click.html
      and this
      https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/47415-open-command-window-here-administrator.html

The former is what I found works. Its for W7 but works in WX.
      Remember the old PowerToys? That had a similiar thing for XP 😉

Edit
      This might be better and does not (apparently judging by the notes) clobber the Take Ownership context menu hack.
      https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/59686-open-command-window-here-administrator-add-windows-10-a.html

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #1592019 Reply

bharder
      AskWoody Lounger

An update. Darned if I didn’t face a very similar situation this weekend, and my wildcard solution did not work! So much for my confidence in that technique…

Both the GUI and the command line consistently reported “Cannot find file”, even though they could list the file. Argh!

However I did finally work up a solution that was successful. What I did was to move the containing folder into a temporary folder much closer to the root. This seems to have shortened the Fully Qualified File Name enough and then I was able to work on the long filename directly. Once I got that done I moved the containing folder back to it’s original location and all was well.

• #1592029 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

Did you use dir /x to see if it had a short name? I’ve just tried and there are some short names. Obviously it depends on the length of the name of the containing folder – does anyone know the length that problems start occurring? The max length still seems to be 260 characters as far as I can see.

• #1592264 Reply

bharder
      AskWoody Lounger

I didn’t try using the short name, no. Not sure that would have helped though. Windows was reporting problems with the long name so I’m not sure I could have done an end-run around that issue with the short name.

Isn’t the short name just an algorithmically generated version of the long name? Or is it a persistent meta-data attribute?

• #1592268 Reply

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Isn’t the short name just an algorithmically generated version of the long name? Or is it a persistent meta-data attribute?

Have a look at the VFAT and Computer-generated 8.3 filenames section of this Wikipedia article[/B] for more info about the convention used by Windows for generating short filenames.

Hope this helps…

• #1592470 Reply

bharder
      AskWoody Lounger

Ah, I see that I misspoke. Short file names are always generated algorithmically, what I was getting at is, are they always generated dynamically and not saved on an LFN capable volume format?

FAT volumes had extremely limited metadata capabilities, but NTFS volumes have extensive and extensible metadata structures. Storing a SFN in NTFS would be a simple matter, but I have no idea if that is a persistent file attribute.

• #1592486 Reply

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Short file names are always generated algorithmically, what I was getting at is, are they always generated dynamically and not saved on an LFN capable volume format?

My understanding is that, by default, both LFNs and SFNs are stored on NTFS volumes, unless 8.3 filename support is switched off:

How to disable 8.3 file name creation on NTFS partitions

• #1592718 Reply

WSdogberry
      AskWoody Lounger

For Needle-in-a-haystack problems in general, Copernic Desktop Search provides a 30-day trial, and if that can’t get it in thirty days then you have to buy it or give up. The latest version came out in January, so even if you have had it before then you can probably give that a shot, although personally, I reserve such trials for Really Big Game Hunting.

As it happens, I own the thing anyway so I’m not worried, but trialware is a neat thing to have up your sleeve for times when you might suddenly need it, and it’s a contingency affair – it may get what you want or not, and if it does (or doesn’t) you may be hooked on how useful (or otherwise) it is for your purposes.

• #1592858 Reply

WSBlueflame
      AskWoody Lounger

I still have not deleted or renamed it, I did not say I am using Windows 10
      The file as 25 words is in a file, and is in 8 folders

• #1592868 Reply

access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

I still have not deleted or renamed it, I did not say I am using Windows 10
        The file as 25 words is in a file, and is in 8 folders

Win 10 isn’t relevant. Navigate to the folder where the file is located in Windows Explorer, by opening the relevant folders on the left hand pane. Open a command window as described by Bharder in post #4. Now enter dir /x and press enter. This may give you a list of short names. Look for one called clipart~1.jpg (or whatever the file type is). Try deleting that by entering del clipart~1.jpg and pressing enter.

If that doesn’t work (either because there’s no short names or it still won’t delete), then try Bharder’s suggestion in post #14. I assume he used Windows Explorer to do the move.

• #1592908 Reply

mngerhold
          AskWoody Lounger

Win 10 isn’t relevant. Navigate to the folder where the file is located in Windows Explorer, by opening the relevant folders on the left hand pane. Open a command window as described by Bharder in post #4.

If he isn’t using W10 he will have to do a bit more work to open a command prompt in the correct folder! But it would be nice to see him try after all the advice proffered.

• #1592981 Reply

b
            AskWoody Plus

If he isn’t using W10 he will have to do a bit more work to open a command prompt in the correct folder!

Shift+Right-Click on a folder for Open Command Window Here also works in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1593145 Reply

mngerhold
              AskWoody Lounger

Shift+Right-Click on a folder for Open Command Window Here also works in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

You can probably guess I am using XP!

• #1593173 Reply

WSBlueflame
              AskWoody Lounger

You can probably guess I am using XP!

BruceR but not in Windows 10, I tried it

• #1593210 Reply

b
              AskWoody Plus

BruceR but not in Windows 10, I tried it

Are you using an Insider Preview build version of Windows 10?

If so, after a Shift+Right-Click on a folder, Command Window may have been replaced with PowerShell Window.

But you could type cmd there to reach a command prompt in the selected folder.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1593060 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody_MVP

Win 10 isn’t relevant.

Actually, Windows 10 is relevant, if you are on version 1607 or newer (see the “TIP” under Maximum Path Length Limitation).

Hat tip to Retired Geek.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #1592862 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

You can boot from a linux disc, Puppy linux or Mint are both easy to learn, and delete the files.

• #1592970 Reply

WSBlueflame
      AskWoody Lounger

I have never done any think like that at all, I might muck some thing up, delete the wrong file Thanks any way if there is no other way I will leave it

• #1593200 Reply

mledman
      AskWoody Plus

Blueflame,

– Shift+Right-Click on a folder for Open Command Window – works for me in Windows 10

Mark

• #1593444 Reply

WSBlueflame
      AskWoody Lounger

This is what I get When I do Shift+Right-Click

46947-Untitled-2

Attachments:
      • #1593450 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

This is what I get When I do Shift+Right-Click

46947-Untitled-2

So you’re getting “Open command window here” as expected.

• #1593456 Reply

bharder
      AskWoody Lounger

I assume he used Windows Explorer to do the move.

Correct!

• #1594007 Reply

WSBlueflame
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve done it.
      The name of the clip art was to long, it would not let me delete it or change its name.
      It was in 4 or may be 5 folders inside each other Cartoon male Black – white another another
      I tried to move the clip art out of the folder it said Name to long etc then I tried to move the clip art in one folder. And it moved,!! So I tried to rename it and it worked.
      It seemed to be a the fact that the name was too long and in too many folders, reduce trhe number of folders and it let me rename

• #1594885 Reply

Coochin
        AskWoody_MVP

…I tried to move the clip art out of the folder it said Name to long etc then I tried to move the clip art in one folder. And it moved,!! So I tried to rename it and it worked…

Re: filenames / filetitles in Windows.

In Windows contexts a “filename” includes the “path” to the file (all the folder names from the partition’s “root” folder), while the part of the name immediately before the extension is considered by Windows as the “filetitle“.

An example:
        C:foldernamefoldername1foldername2\foldername3filename.ext
        is the “filename” – “filename” is the “filetitle“.
        The maximum number of characters for a “filename” is 256 – consequently if a file w/ a very long “filetitle” is buried deep within a series of folders which also have lengthy names the 256 character limit is likely to be exceeded so Windows cannot properly store the “filename” in memory hence cannot make any change to the “filetitle“.
        Moving the offending file “up” the folder “tree” shortens the “filename” – once the length of the “filename” is less than the 256 character limit Windows can store the “filename” in memory so can make changes to it.

• #1594015 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

That’s the method I use if I can’t fix it otherwise. Once you have moved it further up the tree and renamed it, you can move it back down where it belongs.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Long clip art name

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.