News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Looking for a new laptop

Posted on ZSiegel Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Looking for a new laptop

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        ZSiegel
        AskWoody Plus

Hello all,

I’m looking for a replacement for my 2012 Samsung Series 7 Chronos. She’s a good machine and got me through university, but is definitely showing her age.

I’m looking for something in the mid-to-high end range, 10th-gen i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, dedicated GPU. Easy enough, the Dell XPS 15 would fit the bill. Here’s the issue, however, I need to have a number pad for the work I do – lot’s of data entry and I just can’t get by without one. It seems that number pads are getting hard to find on more powerful laptops, from my searches anyway.

So far, the only laptop I’ve found that fits my criteria is the Dell Inspiron 15 7000. The model available in Canada has good specs, but a 9th-gen i7 and Nvidia GTX 1050. The model available in Europe has the 10th-gen CPU and GTX 1650, but Dell has said it will not be making it’s way to North America.

Any suggestions on what may with what I’m looking for?

Cheers,
        Zac

• #2276396 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

If you can’t find one with a built in numeric keypad, you might consider an external device. In the (not real recent) past, I have used a USB numeric keypad as conveniently as a built in one. Entering LOTS of numbers.
        Haven’t looked for one lately, so so don’t know if they’re still around with whatever port you have on the laptop.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2276516 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse most of the time when the laptop is on the desk. When it’s not I can use the trackpad as both numbers and mouse – it’s an ASUS ZenBook.

cheers, Paul

• #2276519 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

If you are looking for a discrete GPU, one of the gaming laptops out there would probably tick all the boxes.  The most recent iteration of the Dell G-series has the better GPU you seek, though still 9000-series CPU, and a numeric touchpad.  If you are firm on the tenth-gen CPU, there are lots of other choices in the gaming category (regardless of whether you actually plan on gaming with it).

It’s annoying how so many hardware combinations are only sold in certain areas.  I have an Acer Swift 1 laptop that I like a lot, but its 4GB of RAM (soldered) is less than ideal. Acer has an 8GB model, but they won’t sell it here.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.19.3).

• #2276520 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I’m looking for something in the mid-to-high end range, 10th-gen i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, dedicated GPU.

Look at Lenovo 7i with numeric keypad.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/Lenovo-Legion-7/p/88GMY701410

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Alex5723.
      • #2276552 Reply
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

In the States, HP offers several lines of laptops with Numeric Keypads including the HP Pavilion Nontouch and HP 15.6 Touchscreen Laptops. Some of their offerings may be customized to fit your specific needs.

We buy direct from HP and I recommend going to the HP Store website and running a search of each of the above.

And if the unit you are looking for is available in the States and not Canada (I assume that is where you are) and you live along the boarder consider taking delivery at a FedEx  location in the States.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Looking for a new laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.