News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Loss of Sound in Win8.1

Posted on WSlarrylang Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) Loss of Sound in Win8.1

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        WSlarrylang
        AskWoody Lounger

I have a Dell all-in-one desktop that is several years old running Windows 8.1. I keep losing my sound. It comes back when I restart the computer. Then it goes out again normally by the next day. I checked all the settings and everything looks fine. I don’t know if  the problem is hardware or software. I need help. Thanks.

• #2287883 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Have you looked on the Dell website for driver updates for the sound card? Using the model number and the Service code number, you can find information and drivers for your specific machine.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2287918 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

IIRC, there was an issue with Win8.1 with some device drivers, where the soundcard wouldn’t re-initialize on resume from standby. Buggy old sound drivers sounds about right to me..

Win8.1 Pro x64 + Linux Hybrids x86/x64 + Win7 Pro x86/64 O/L
      • #2288240 Reply
        WSlarrylang
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the responses.

• #2288244 Reply
          EP
          AskWoody_MVP

you did not mention the model number of your AIO (all in one) Dell desktop machine in your 1st post, WSlarrylang. there many kinds of Dell AIO machines out there.

run either HWInfo or Speccy to gather the model no. of your Dell computer and some other hardware specs – maybe even the brand or type of audio device used on that Dell computer

• #2288262 Reply
        GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Loss of Sound in Win8.1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.