• Lost Login Password

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Lost Login Password

Author
    Topic

Hello, my mother passed away recently and of all the passwords she left me written in her note book, her windows 10 login password is missing.  I have tried the following to reset her password but been stumped each time.  NO, she did not have a “Password Recovery” USB (my bad as I set up the PC for her many years ago.

The PC is an HP Compaq Pro 6300 all-in-one, product number D3K15UT#ABA.  It was originally Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10.  I do have a “Recovery Drive” USB from 2016.

1st:  Tried the Recovery Drive and got into “CMD prompt”, however the recovery drive is “X” and I could not find any DOS command to change directory to “C” to issue the NET command to reset her password C:\windows\system32>Net user MOM psw  (also could not add a new user).  Everything I tried would not find/list the “C” drive.  The message was always “The System cannot find the path specified”

2nd:  removed her harddrive and added to my older Windows 7 pc.   Now her harddrive is visible as “System (F:)” with directories “net” and “SYSTEM”, “OS (H:)” with directories “Windows”, “Users”, “Program Files”, ect.   I have not encountered this split drive designation before.  The problem I encounter here is the “Net” command is on a different partition from the Windows/User files; F vs H; so again the “Net” command does not work.

How can I reset mom’s password without buying software?

I would like to avoid attaching the harddrive to my pc, copy her files, then use the recovery drive to recovery back to 2016 and then apply all the system upgrades back to Win10.

Thanks for any help.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Lost Login Password

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: