• Lost Outlook 2019 Calendars

Author
    Topic

For the past two weeks, I have been experiencing severe problems with my Outlook 2019 (PC CTR version) after an ill-advised attempt to use OneDrive. That totally messed up Outlook as well as other apps by confusing data file locations. At one point I was completely unable to even open it. Since then, with the assistance of great advice given here, I’ve been able to re-establish use of Outlook email so that I can now send and receive messages and access all saved message folders and files. My most serious remaining issue is the loss of my calendars. So, I need help in regaining access to them, if possible. I believe that they may still be available in one of several, now unused, pst files remaining on my PC. I have searched for said files and have narrowed the possibilities based on the file size and date of last update.

I’d appreciate very much advice on whether recovering the calendars is even possible and, if so, how to do it without adversely affecting the email.

D. Eager

Viewing 18 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Hi doneager,

I know with Microsoft Outlook you can open and include more then one PST file. So maybe try that and if you see your Calendar entries in the second PST you could always just drag and drop them into the current PST file you want to use. Then you could just remove the second PST file from Microsoft Outlook if you wish.

How to add another PST File you might ask?

On the File tab, click Account Settings, Account Settings.

On the Data Files tab, click Add.

Hi Don,

I’ll be happy to help again and I’m aware of your problems. Before we start I need to cover some details in using File Explorer to locate files that may have caused you to not find what you knew was there.

Refer to the image below.

Notice the Address Bar and the View pane. File Explorer will never accept a path to a file in the Address Bar. The Address Bar will locate only drives and folders. This means if you copied a path to a file which includes the file’s name and paste that path into the Address Bar, File Explorer won’t be able to find it.
      Example: The path to a file is C:\Users\username\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst. If you copy and paste that path into the Address Bar File Explorer will not find the file. However if you remove the name of the file from the path address so it is C:\Users\username\Documents\Outlook Files (file name Outlook.pst removed) and paste that into the Address bar, File Explorer will take to the folder that has that file shown in the View pane for you to select.
      So, when you use File Explorer to go where you store your .pst files, don’t copy the path to the file; but rather click the little folder icon to left of the current address shown in the Address bar to highlight the path address there. Right click the highlighted address and select Copy. When you click any File Explorer Address Bar to highlight the current address and right click to Paste the path address you copied. File Explorer will take to that same folder you copied the path to so you can select the file you want in the View pane.

The View Tab of File Explorer is shown so you will know where it is. It is on the View tab that you select to show file extensions, which we will need if not already showing.

Let’s take stock first.

Replace emailaddress for the name part of your real email address name when posting data.

What accounts are listed on the Email tab of Account Settings window?

What are the name and location of Data files listed on the Data Files tab of the Accounts Settings window?

What are the names and exact location of all other email or Outlook files in File Explorer?

Am I correct that you have already moved all your emails from the Outlook folders that current display in Outlook’s left pane?

File-Explorer

HTH, Dana:))

Hi again, Dana. Thanks for offering help again on this new issue! I have tried to provide all the information you requested.

1. What accounts?
          1. Email address – Outlook (Don).pst This is the working one.
          2. Email address.pst
          3. Outlook.pst
        2. Names of Data Files
          1. Email address. Location= C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook.pst
          2. Email address. Location= C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst This is the working one.
          3. Outlook. Location= C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook.pst
        3. Other Outlook Files
          1. This PC\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (28,000 KB)
          2. This PC\Documents\Outlook Files\email address.pst (265 KB)
          3. This PC\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst (265 KB)
          4. This PC\Documents\Outlook Files #2\Outlook.pst (32,000 KB)
          5. This PC\Documents\Outlook Files #2\email address.pst (265 KB)
          6. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (265 KB)
          7. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address.pst (265 KB)
          8. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.bak (35,000 KB)
          9. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst (8,200 KB)
          10. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook.pst (28,000 KB)
          11. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address.pst (265 KB)
          12. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst (265 KB)
          13. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files #2\email address.pst (265 KB)
          14. This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files #2\Outlook.pst (32,000 KB)
        4. Already moved files. I didn’t have to move any message files that I recall. What I did do was delete all messages from folders under the two non-working accounts shown above.

I think this provides all the information you requested. This doesn’t include any pst files associated with my wife’s account. I did the best I could with typing all these paths and hopefully made no typos! Let me know if I missed anything or if you think of anything else you need to proceed. I think we can eliminate all the 265 KB pst files. Too small to contain large calendar data. – Don E.

File Explorer will never accept a path to a file in the Address Bar. The Address Bar will locate only drives and folders. This means if you copied a path to a file which includes the file’s name and paste that path into the Address Bar, File Explorer won’t be able to find it.

For others following this post, I need to clarify this.
      A Path address in the Address bar follows the path to the last folder or file listed and Opens it. For a drive or folder that “opens” in File Explorer it displays the contents in the View pane. For a file the open command usually causes the default app for that file to open the file. This not the case with Outlook files as Outlook is expecting a specific way for that file to be opened. The file must be selected in the View pane for Outlook to open the file.
      Side Note: If your copy of the Path address has quotation marks for the entire address such as “C:\Documents\Word file.docx”, remove the quotation marks when pasting into the Address Bar. File Explorer can’t handle quotation marks before the drive letter.

Part of the problem on sorting out these files is File Explorer’s way of displaying Path of it’s libraries.
      It would be easier to find and compare files if the location is uniform. We will use the classic Path to compare.

The Other Outlook Files
      1. This PC\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (28,000 KB). This PC\Documents is shorthand for C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents so that location is C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst(28,000 KB).
      2. This PC\Documents\Outlook Files\email address.pst (265 KB) becomes
      C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address.pst (265 KB)
      3. And likewise for those locations with This PC\Documents
      4. The locations such as
      This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (265 KB) the This PC\Local disc is unnecessary and the () around the drive letter needs to be removed resulting in
      C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (265 KB)
      5. Appling those changes to the locations shown so they all use the same format will make it easier to identify a specific file. Each of those files are different because the classic Path address is part of the file’s name.
      This list below is the same list you posted shown in classic Path address location

1. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (28,000 KB)
      2. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address.pst (265 KB)
      3. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst (265 KB)
      4. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files #2\Outlook.pst (32,000 KB)
      5. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files #2\email address.pst (265 KB)
      6. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (265 KB)
      7. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address.pst (265 KB)
      8. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.bak (35,000 KB)
      9. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst (8,200 KB)
      10. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook.pst (28,000 KB)
      11. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address.pst (265 KB)
      12. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst (265 KB)
      13. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files #2\email address.pst (265 KB)
      14. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files #2\Outlook.pst (32,000 KB)

Data File locations
      1. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook.pst
      2. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst
      3. C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook.pst

The Path address is part of the name of the file. Looking at the files listed in the same format shows the difference in the total name of the file and shows that some files are listed twice.

Notice that #1 of Data File locations is not listed in the Outlook files unless one of the duplicate files was recorded wrong. #1 and #6 in the Outlook files list have the same exact name; however if you remove the (Don) portion of the name of #6 it would make sense. Two files can’t have same exact name and Path address.

Take a look at that list again and check the location of the files. We need to be sure before we start moving and deleting files.

Do you agree that I can begin by deleting ALL of the 265 KB files?

Yes, but just the ones 256 KB in size.
      When you delete these files make sure Outlook is open. With Outlook open and you try to delete a file it is using (and maybe need not to delete) Windows won’t let you delete it because it is in use.

We still need to accurately know the location of the files.

The Outlook.pst file location listed in your Data File list is
      C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook.pst
      but this location is not in your list data files

We need to make sure as we don’t want you coming back and saying it couldn’t find the data file (because we are looking at the wrong location address). A similar and close address will not work. Every folder in that location address must be accurate and the file name must be exact. I can not stress this enough. If we are going to be successful in getting what you want done, you must successfully access those Outlook files and must have the absolute correct location in order to access those files.
      C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook.pst
      and
      C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst
      is not the same.

Game Plan:
      Once we have accurate location addresses to access the files, we will load the larger Data files and examine the contents to see if you want anything there (email).
      After you get everything from that data file, we will remove if from Outlook and delete it (again requires accurate location address to delete the right file).
      After we finished getting what you want of those extra .pst files we should get down to the one .pst file you are using.
      Next, I’ll show you how to open that Outlook.bak file which is a backup file. I hope that backup file contains the calendar you are looking for. We’ll see.

Note: If you find one of the data files has a lot of emails or calendar events you want to save, don’t move the emails manually. Post back this situation and I’ll explain how to use Outlook’s Import function to place the contents of a data file into your current data file.

Key takeaway: The location address (Path) of a outlook file must be exact. One way to do this:
      1) Open File Explorer and go to the folder that an Outlook File is in the View pane
      2) Place the mouse pointer on the name of the file so the file will highlight (showing it is selected)
      3) Press and release the following keys in this order: Alt, H, C, P . The key combination will copy the path address to that highlight file.
      4) Open a new blank document and with the cursor flashing in the new document, Press the Ctrl and V keys at the same time to paste that address into the document.
      5) The pasted address will be in quotation marks. Remove the quotation marks and you have an exact location address to that file.

Deleted five 265 KB .pst files, 3 from This PC\Documents\Outlook Files and Outlook Files #2 paths and 2 from This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files. Interestingly, 3 of these files were automatically deleted from the paths containing OneDrive when I deleted them from the non-OneDrive paths!

Continuing with the steps in your plan, I didn’t understand what you were saying in the sentence starting with “The Outlook.pst location…” I’m not sure of the difference between Data File list and your list data files. There are 3 instances of Outlook.pst files (over 265 KB) in the list I created: items 3d, 3i and 3n. When I click on “show file location” for the Outlook.pst entry in the Data Files List in Outlook, it displays the path for item 3i on the files list I created of all .pst files found by Explorer search. Please clarify.

Once we pass this issue, I’ll move on in your list of tasks. The next step will be for me to triple-check my file list, which I double-checked before I sent it. But as you say, we have to be SURE.

Continuing with the steps in your plan, I didn’t understand what you were saying in the sentence starting with “The Outlook.pst location…” I’m not sure of the difference between Data File list and your list data files. There are 3 instances of Outlook.pst files (over 265 KB) in the list I created: items 3d, 3i and 3n. When I click on “show file location” for the Outlook.pst entry in the Data Files List in Outlook, it displays the path for item 3i on the files list I created of all .pst files found by Explorer search. Please clarify.

First I don’t see any 3d, 3i and 3n in your list.  I see 3.1, 3.2, etc. …no letters.

Second, look at the locations you posted for the #2 Name of Data Files

2. Names of Data Files

1. Email address. Location= C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook.pst
      2. Email address. Location= C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst This is the working one.
      3. Outlook. Location= C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook.pst

#1 shows this location:

C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook.pst

That address is not in the list of Outlook files:

#1 and #6 of your Outlook files list have this address which is not the same

C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (28,000 KB)
      notice the (Don) in the name  that is not part of the name listed in the Data Files list.
      The only data file with a email address – Outlook.pst name is
      #10 C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook.pst (28,000 KB) and that location doesn’t match the location you posted as listed in the Data file list.
      Which is wrong. the location listed in the Data files list or one of the files listed in the Outlook Files list.

That was the first Data file listed in the Data Files list

The third Data File listed is:
      Outlook. Location= C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook.pst

Notice the folders. There is no \Outlook Files\ in the above address but all the files listed in Outlook files list are in an Outlook Files or Outlook Files #2 folder. Either the location for this you posted for the Data File list is wrong or it is listed with the wrong location in your Outlook File list.

After you get the locations address fixed, make a list of the remaining Outlook files so we can start adding one to the Data files list to check for emails.

Your first issue involved numbering in my typed list of accounts, data files names and other Outlook files. Sorry about the subparagraph numbering confusion. I typed my post in Word and then copied and pasted into the Woody’s post. The letters were changed to numbers there without my input and I failed to notice that because I was using the source Word document to prepare my response to you.

You didn’t identify this as an issue, but I’d like to give some clarification. Way back when, you asked for a list of accounts listed on the Email tab under Account Settings. I previously reported 3 and there is now 1: email address. I should not have typed a  .pst suffix on any of these since they were not files but only account names. Sorry!

This isn’t one of your issues either but is an additional clarification. The current list of Data Files and locations has changed. There are still 3 listed but they are now different, consisting of the following:

Name = email address – Outlook (Don)

Location = C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst

Location = C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst

Name = Outlook

Location = C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst

Note that the first file listed is the current default and that the second file listed is identical to the first and can probably be deleted.

Continuing with your second issue. If I understand you correctly, your concern is that #1 under Names of Data Files is not in the Other Outlook Files list. I agree, but if I go to Data Files in Outlook and select the name Outlook and click on Open Location, I get this path: This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files which seems to match #9 on my typed list. Is this NOT correct? Am I missing something?

I think this is the end of your second issue and that “#1 and #6 of your Outlook files list have this address which is the same” constitutes a third issue. We can move onto that one after we agree that the first and second issues are resolved.

Don E.

You didn’t identify this as an issue, but I’d like to give some clarification. Way back when, you asked for a list of accounts listed on the Email tab under Account Settings. I previously reported 3 and there is now 1: email address. I should not have typed a  .pst suffix on any of these since they were not files but only account names. Sorry!

That is what I thought and deleting those small .pst files go rid of the ones not in use.

There are still 3 listed but they are now different, consisting of the following:

Name = Outlook

Location = C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst

Note that the first file listed is the current default and that the second file listed is identical to the first and can probably be deleted.

Strange as I don’t see how 2 files with the same name can be in the same location. I suspect the second one is a glitch of Outlook and should be Removed from the list and restart Outlook. Don’t delete any files just Remove the second Data file from the list.

Continuing with your second issue. If I understand you correctly, your concern is that #1 under Names of Data Files is not in the Other Outlook Files list. I agree, but if I go to Data Files in Outlook and select the name Outlook and click on Open Location, I get this path: This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files which seems to match #9 on my typed list. Is this NOT correct? Am I missing something?

That is the point, the location shown in the Data Files list for that data file doesn’t match the location you get when you have it Open Location. I needed you to to confirm where that file really is.

Now first. Check the Open Location of the first data file listed (the default one) and confirm that it is located where is says in the Data Files list.
      Now check the Open Location of the second (duplicate?) data file to see its location. Is is the same location and thus a second listing to the same file or does it actually point to a file in another path address.

Post back what you find.

I think we’re making progress. Before I do anything else, I need to confirm something in your last post. In last sentence of first paragraph you wrote “…delete those small .pst file go rid of the ones not in use.” As I perviously mentioned, I have already deleted all the 265 KB .pst files. I don’t know what you mean by “…go rid of the ones not in use.” Please explain.

n last sentence of first paragraph you wrote “…delete those small .pst file go rid of the ones not in use.” As I perviously mentioned, I have already deleted all the 265 KB .pst files. I don’t know what you mean by “…go rid of the ones not in use.” Please explain.

Brain moves faster than keys on keyboard.   It was supposed to be “got” not go.  I was remarking getting rid of the little .pst files got rid of those items on the Email tab that should not have been there.   It was not an instructions, but rather an observation that one of the problems has been resolved with that action.

OK to proceed with what I last posted.

Continuing with our plan.

I think I know how I ended up with duplicate files on the Data Files list. After making some of the changes we discussed earlier, I was once again unable to start Outlook. I think when I was researching file locations the default or selected location got reset to one that did not contain the correct .pst. I got the error message and the Explorer window. I used that to locate and add the correct one to the Data Files list and was able to access Outlook again. Ended up with the duplicates.

I selected and removed the duplicate file that was not the one designated as default. Now just left with two entries in the list, the correct one and the one named “Outlook” which is not the default and isn’t being used.

Locate the correct address for the default data file. Went to Data Files, selected the first entry which is the default and got this result in Explorer: This PC\Local drive (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\email address – Outlook (Don).pst. The address in the Explorer location and that in the Data Files list appear identical. Can’t check the second (duplicate) location as you directed since I already deleted it as discussed in the second paragraph above.

I think we’re on track. What’s next? Sorry for not replying sooner, but NFL playoffs and working on complicated air reservations for an upcoming trip had me otherwise occupied!

Hope you had a good weekend.

Dana, awaiting your next instruction to continue this process. Hope you’re OK, as I haven’t heard from you in a week.

One additional bit of info for you. I have located the calendar and task files! If I start Outlook and open the “Outlook” account in the folder list, I can view the calendars and tasks. So, it seems I need to copy or move the calendar and task lists to the active email – Outlook (Don).pst from the unused Outlook.pst file. I have no idea how to do that or to even how to view the contents of a pst file.

Thanks!

Dana, awaiting your next instruction to continue this process. Hope you’re OK, as I haven’t heard from you in a week.

Sorry, I missed your posting to my last response and was waiting for reply.

Now you know which .pst file is running your Outlook account, we know to leave that as default and let it alone.
      Since you deleted all those 256 KB files what is left besides your Default and the Outlook file?
      Remember that we placed a copy of this default .pst file in your Documents folder which should be the .pst file at:
      This PC\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (28,000 KB).
      You already have these emails and don’t need that .pst file.

After all this cleaning I need to know just what Outlook files you have left. The location address needs to be accurate.

I going to give specific instructions on how you can import all the emails and calendar info into your current default account .pst file one these .pst files at a time.

Glad you’re OK and we’re back in business!

The only items left in my Data Files list are the default and Outlook psts. As I mentioned, the latter is where the calendar and tasks files are located.

Other remaining folders and files are:

1. In the path This PC\Documents:
          1. A file named Outlook.pst in a folder named Outlook Files #2. This is the file containing calendars and tasks.
          2. In the same Outlook Files #2 folder there is also a sub-folder named AppData with sub-sub folders: Local, LocalLow and Roaming. Have NO idea what these are???
          3. My default pst file in a folder named Outlook Files.
        2. In the path This PC\Local disc (C)\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents:
          1. My default pst in a folder named Outlook Files. Seems to duplicate item 1-3 above. Would it be possible to delete this reference in the Data Files list and replace it with this one, thereby eliminating any reference to the OneDrive folder since I don’t have OneDrive installed anymore? I’m a bit apprehensive to attempt this since what I now have is working. What do you think?
          2. A file named Outlook.pst in a folder named Outlook Files #2. This is where the calendars and tasks are located. This seems to duplicate item  1-1 above. Another possible move candidate?

These are the only folders or files I could find that seem related to Outlook. Hope this makes sense.

I attempted to delete the copy of my default pst at the This PC\Documents\Outlook Files location as you recommended. However, I couldn’t. Received an error message that it was open. Possibly related to the duplication issue discussed above?

I don’t think I need to move any emails between pst files. My default pst has them all and the Outlook pst has NONE. Only calendars and tasks are there as far as I can tell.

The next steps involves importing the Calendar items you want and is different than what we have been doing, so I wrote your instructions with screen shots to help you know where you are in the instructions. With all the screen shots I placed the instructions in the attached PDF.

Don-Import

OK. This looks pretty complicated but I think I’ll be able to follow your detailed instructions.  But, before I begin the process, I have two questions:

1. If I follow the steps in this process carefully, can I be sure that the existing retained emails in my default pst file will NOT be deleted and that only calendars and tasks will be added to it when I import from the Outlook.pst file?
            2. On page 2 of your instructions, in the paragraph in the center of the page (which begins “on this next page labeled…”), I don’t understand the third line which reads “…do it is displayed Explorer…” Can you please clarify? I don’t want to make any mistakes!

If I follow the steps in this process carefully, can I be sure that the existing retained emails in my default pst file will NOT be deleted and that only calendars and tasks will be added to it when I import from the Outlook.pst file?

No files will be deleted. Import only adds and does not replace any emails already there. Since you moved the emails already, the calendar items should be the only thing imported.

On page 2 of your instructions, in the paragraph in the center of the page (which begins “on this next page labeled…”), I don’t understand the third line which reads “…do it is displayed Explorer…” Can you please clarify? I don’t want to make any mistakes!

Sorry about that, haste in writing the instructions. What I was trying to say is that it is important to use Explorer to go to the folder that holds the file and select the file in the large view panel and then click Open button. If you put the copied path in the address bar of the Explorer windows that has the file name as part of the path and press the Enter key it will say it can’t find the file. It expects you to use the address bar to go to the folder that hold the Outlook Data file, select the file to highlight it and then press the Open key.

Ok. Finished the process with partial success. The tasks list came over but NO calendars. In order to be able to temporarily access calendars, I re-created the Data Files item for Outlook.pst.

What should we try next?

Sorry, the anonymous post was me…so quick to answer forgot to login.

The tasks list came over but NO calendars. In order to be able to temporarily access calendars, I re-created the Data Files item for Outlook.pst.

The tasks coming over shows the import worked and I have no reason why the Calendar didn’t if it had Calendar events in it.  From your re-adding the Outllok.pst to the Data files so your Calendar events returned Outlook? Is this correct and you are sure the Calendar events only show when the Outlook.pst file is added to Outlook?

The only suggestion I have left is to export the Calendar from that Outllok.pst Data file to its own separate .pst file.  This Calendar.pst file can be imported to your emailaddress@verison account.  The export process is like the import you did but with a separate page for selecting just the Calendar of that Outlook.pst file.  Give me a little time to create instructions with screenshots for that process.

I believe  know what the problem is. The default Data File is still the one located in the path containing OneDrive. That is NOT where the file I updated is located. Tried to add that location to the Data Files list but it will NOT work. I used “add” on the Data Files tab to navigate to the correct location, select the file and click OK.  NOTHING happens. I’m just returned to the Data Files list where nothing has been added. I don’t get it???

The default Data File is still the one located in the path containing OneDrive. That is NOT where the file I updated is located. Tried to add that location to the Data Files list but it will NOT work. I used “add” on the Data Files tab to navigate to the correct location, select the file and click OK.  NOTHING happens. I’m just returned to the Data Files list where nothing has been added. I don’t get it???

The .pst file to select for importing is that Outlook.pst file and Not your default one. My instructions stated “On this next page labeled Import Outlook Data File click the Browse button which will open an
      Explorer window to go to where that Outlook.pst file is located. Outlook can’t import from a file that is already loaded in Outlook, so it knows not to select your default file that was open in Outlook. You don’t have to select the data file (default one) to import to (update as you call it). The Import items into the current folder setting in the import settings directs the import to that default data file opened in Outlook. This is also why I had you remove the Outlook.pst data file so the default data file would be the only current folder to import to and wouldn’t import to a wrong data file..

Whatever .pst you selected must had tasks and no calendar events.

You still need to:

1)First – Remove the Outlook.pst data file that is NOT the default account so Outlook has only the one default Data file.
      2) Repeat the import procedure and in the box where is say File to import and has the Browse button you must list the path address to that Outlook.pst data file that you just removed.
      If you follow those directions and select the right Outlook.pst file to import FROM it will work as it has already worked for that other .pst file.

After this, you can use the same procedure to import the other .pst files you have until everything has been imported to your default and only data file in Outlook. The key to this is using the correct path address to each of those .pst files to import and following the instructions.

I believe the problem is still with the default Data File. The only one there now is the one containing OneDrive in the path. That isn’t the one I want to use. I want to use either of these two paths that don’t contain OneDrive:

This PC\Local Disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files.

This PC\Documents\Outlook Files.

I really don’t understand the difference between these two paths or the need for them both.

I believe that I followed your earlier instructions to the letter, but to be sure, I redid the entire process. Here are all the steps I performed.

1. Checked for the location of Outlook.pst. that supposedly contains the calendar data. Found it at This PC\Local Disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files.
        2. I removed the Outlook entry from Data Files yesterday as you ordered. I just re-checked the Data Files list and confirmed it is NOT listed there.
        3. Closed the Account Settings window. Confirmed that Outlook is no longer listed in the Outlook folder pane.
        4. Followed the key press sequence. Import & Export window opened.
        5. Selected Import from Another File or Program, then clicked Next.
        6. Import a File window opened. Selected Outlook Data File (.pst). Clicked Next.
        7. Import Outlook Data File window opened. Clicked Browse button.
        8. Browsed to the location This PC\Local Disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files. NOTE: Same address as in #1 above.
        9. Selected the Outlook.pst file and clicked Open.
        10. Selected Do Not Import Duplicates button. Include Subfolders was checked. Checked Import Items into the Current Folder. I’m not sure what the current folder is?
        11. Clicked Finish.
        12. Progress bar displayed and then disappeared.
        13. Re-started Outlook. The missing calendars are not displayed when clicking the calendar icon at bottom left of folder pane. There is a box there for “My Calendars” which is checked and there are two entries below it. Both are “Calendar – email – Outlook (Don).” These are just blank calendars and NOT the ones I’m looking for that contain data.
        14. Went to Data Files and clicked Add, trying again to achieve a path NOT containing OneDrive.
        15. Navigated to the location of the file email – Outlook (Don).pst, which is where I think the import from Outlook.pst was supposed to go, and selected it. It showed email – Outlook (Don).pst in the file name box at the bottom of the screen.
        16. Again, did NOT work. I’m wondering if it because the name I’m trying to add is the same as the default name already there? Is it possible that there is a problem with #10 above regarding the “current folder”?

This SO frustrating that I am considering having two entries in the Outlook folder pane, one for email and the other for calendars. Seems kind of dumb, however!

Can we make one more attempt before I “throw in the towel”?

I believe the problem is still with the default Data File. The only one there now is the one containing OneDrive in the path. That isn’t the one I want to use. I want to use either of these two paths that don’t contain OneDrive: This PC\Local Disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files. This PC\Documents\Outlook Files.

I know it is hard to understand, but

This PC\Local Disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files
      and
      This PC\Documents\Outlook Files

Are the same path to the same location. This PC\Documents = C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents

Concerning “It showed email – Outlook (Don).pst in the file name box at the bottom of the screen.” This is the correct way to load a dat file; however, that file is the one you placed there as a copy for you to move the default account to. Since it is the same file as the default one it will not open it.

“I’m not sure what the current folder is?” The current folder is the only Data file left in Outlook…your default one. Also at the beginning of that procedure I had you select that default account. It says folder but really means account…the default account.

We can move to that file with your default account as we started before since you can locate the file better, but you can’t load it into the Data files.

1) Close Outlook
      2) Use File Explorer and go to that default account at:
      This PC\Local disc (C:)\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook.pst (28,000 KB)
      3) Right click this file and select Rename. Add an X to the front of the first character in the name and save.
      4) Open Outlook which will post a warning that it could not find the Data file. Click the OK and prompts to open an Explorer to go to:
      This PC\Documents\Outlook Files\email address – Outlook (Don).pst (28,000 KB)
      which is a copy of that file with the same name it should open and that path should be listed for that data file. Try C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files in the Address bar, select the email address – Outlook (Don).pst file to highlight it and press Open button.

Once you have switched you can still import from the other files as it appears that the Calendar files of that Outlook.pst don’t import for some reason.

Dana,

Today there is good news and bad news. The good news is that when I opened Outlook this morning, I clicked on the calendar icon on a whim.  Amazingly, my calendars were listed. I swear they weren’t there yesterday. So, I opened them one-at-a-time and all seemed in order.

Now for the bad news. Above my personal calendars there were listed two generic calendar names (forgot the names) that had a checked box in front of each. I opened each and only saw generic calendars with no data. So, decided to delete them because I couldn’t think of any use for them. BIG MISTAKE. After deleting the first of them, my personal calendars that were shown below it disappeared. Back where I started I’m afraid.

It seems that the last import I did from Outlook.pst to the default pst actually worked. Why there was an overnight delay in their appearance I have NO idea. I’m wondering if I can just repeat the import and get my calendars back? If that works, I’m NOT going to delete anymore seemingly unneeded items from the calendar list. Do you think this will work or do you have any other ideas on how to recover the calendars?

I apologize for creating yet more work for you!

Don

Yes you can import the Calendars again.  Don’t delete them.  We will move the calendar events from them to your main Calendar and then delete the empty folders.  Sometimes we miss the import to a folder off the screen in the left Navigation pane and we don’t check it to view its contents in the Calendar displayed..

Let’s not try too much at once.  Did you move the default account to the folder you want yet?  My concern is we made that copy long ago and it will not contain emails since the time is was copied.

At this point I suggest you:

1. Import that Outlook.pst again.
          2. Load any those other .pst files (not the one that is a copy) you think has emails in the Data Files and check the folders of that loaded .pst file for any thing you want.
          3. When finished getting emails from a .pst file, remove form Data Files but don’t delete it.  We can delete when we are sure we have all we want in Outlook.
          4. After we move everything into Outlook we can combine folders and clean thing up.

Tried twice yesterday to get the import to work without success. So, tried again this morning doing the following:

1. Started Outlook and went to Account Settings\Data Files.
      2. Added back the Outlook.pst that supposedly contains the calendars.
      3. It is located at C:\Users\Don & Lulu\Documents\Outlook Files.
      4. Selected the file and clicked OK.
      5. Screen reverted to the Data Files list to which Outlook.pst was added.
      6. Selected that file and clicked Open File Location.
      7. It took me to the same location specified in #3 above.
      8. Closed Account Settings.
      9. The Outlook folders list now contains an item for Outlook in addition to the one containing my email address (default).
      10. Selected the Outlook folder item and expanded it.
      11. My Calendars section displayed. It contained the following items:
        1. Calendar – email address – Outlook (Don).
        2. Calendar – email address – Outlook (Don). Note that these entries are identical.
        3. Calendar – Outlook
        4. Recurring Events – Outlook
        5. Blank Calendar – Outlook
        6. Meds – Outlook
        7. Recurring Events – email address – Outlook (Don).
        8. Blank Calendar – email address – Outlook (Don).
        9. Meds – email address – Outlook (Don).
      12. Open each calendar listed one-at-a-time with these results:
        1. A blank calendar displayed.
        2. A blank calendar displayed.
        3. A blank calendar displayed.
        4. Opened with proper data displayed.
        5. A blank calendar displayed.
        6. Oened with proper data displayed.
        7. Opened with proper data displayed.
        8. A blank calendar displayed.
        9. Opened with proper data displayed.
      13. This seemed to confirm that the calendar data IS located in the Outlook.pst file. Also note that they are ALSO listed with the email address – Outlook (Don) address?
      14. Closed Outlook and reopened it.
      15. Went to Account Settings\Data Files and selected the default location which is the Path containing OneDrive.
      16. Closed Account Settings.
      17. Closed Outlook and reopened it.
      18. Selected the folder list item for email address – Outlook (Don) address.
      19. Clicked the calendar icon at lower left below the folder list.
      20. All the same items as listed in #11 above displayed. All work! I have NO idea why? The only difference I noted at the end is that calendar events in the Outlook calendars are green and those in the email address – Outlook (Don) calendar are orange.

So, for today at least it appears that the problem is fixed for the default account. Did NOT try any further imports or exports. I don’t plan on touching anything related to calendars for the next day or so. If the default pst continues to work, then maybe we can start eliminating duplicate and unused files and folders. I may decide to leave well enough alone and not try to move the default pst out of the path containing OneDrive folder. What do you think?

Don E.

If the default pst continues to work, then maybe we can start eliminating duplicate and unused files and folders. I may decide to leave well enough alone and not try to move the default pst out of the path containing OneDrive folder. What do you think?

If you have it working, it really doesn’t matter where the default .pst file is stored.  I keep all my .pst files on a separate drive.

If you delete any .pst files you think are duplicates, do so while Outlook is open.  That way if you try to delete a file that Outlook is using Windows won’t let you delete because it is in use.  This is a good safety step.

Let me know if you decide to be happy with what you got.

My Outlook seems to be working OK for the last few days. The only strange thing I noted was duplication of some folders in the default. These were “standard” folders such as Deleted Items, Drafts, Junk and Sent. I checked them all and found no emails in any of them, so I deleted the duplicates. No adverse effects so far.

I want to start cleaning up folders and files and I think the least likely to cause problems would be the Outlook Files #2 folder or folders. This is the folder I created at some point in our troubleshooting efforts for a reason I’ve forgotten. Here is what I noted:

1. The Outlook Files #2 folder appears at This PC\Documents. It contains two items: a file labeled Outlook.pst and a folder named App Data. The file is, of course, the one we used to import calendar data to the default pst, but NOT from this location. The folder is a mystery. It contains three sub-folders: Local which contains 65 sub-sub-folders unrelated to Outlook as far as I can see; LocalLow which contains 6 sub-sub-folders also apparently unrelated to Outlook; Roaming which contains 33 sub-sub-folders unrelated to Outlook. I checked the App Data folder under C:\Users\Don & Lulu and found the contents to be identical to those in the Outlook Files #2 folder sub-folder.
      2. The Outlook Files #2 folder also appears at This PC\C:\Users\Don & Lulu\OneDrive\Documents. It contains the same folders and files as the location in #1 above.

I have NO idea how the App Data folder got into Outlook Files #2.

Do you see any potential issues if I delete the Outlook Files #2 folder from both the above locations? I’m wondering if I need to delete them separately or if after I delete one, the other will also be deleted automatically. I’ll check on that of course.

Do you see any potential issues if I delete the Outlook Files #2 folder from both the above locations?

Since the AppData in the Outlook Files #2 is a duplicate, Yes delete both Outlook File # 2 folders in both locations.   If anything goes wrong you can restore them from the Recycle bin.  Deleting the folder deletes everything in the folder at the same time.

I have decided to temporarily suspend work on “cleaning up” Outlook files and folders. I have not yet attempted to delete the Outlook Files #2 folders or any other Outlook folders or files. I am leaving the country on vacation in 2 days and will not return until mid-March. Since Outlook is currently working ok, I don’t want to risk doing anything that might jeopardize that. I will be closing this post thread now and, if needed, start a new one to continue cleaning up upon my return.

Thanks again so much for all you help and patience!

Viewing 18 reply threads
    Reply To: Lost Outlook 2019 Calendars

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: