News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Mac book HDD

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I have an old MacBook with a bad backlight given to me with lots of tunes on it. Some may not be itune tunes and I was thinking of seeing if I could extract the HDD and use a PC with USB HDD case to looks at what is there.
        Is that feasible? I recall Apple had a weird (to me) file system in use.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #2298847 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Backlight for keyboard? display?
        If display, can you attach an external monitor and boot it up? Then copy the data to a flash drive/external HDD?
        Paragon has a free NTFS for Mac that allows me to use my external HDDs on both Mac and Windows OSs. Also, FAT32 is readable on both systems, so a 128GB flash drive with that format is usable on the Mac.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2298850 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Windows OS can’t read HFS Mac formatted drive but there are Windows apps that can.
        Windows OS can read Mac drives formatted with exFAT.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2298863 Reply
        anonymous

If the disk in the Macbook is formatted for the HFS+ filesystem, then you might try the 10-day free trial of Paragon’s HFS+ software.   Pretty sure they have something similar for APFS too.  If the Macbook is/was running High Sierra (or higher) it’s probably using APFS, older versions would be using HFS+.

Everything could most likely be done with an Ubuntu installer usb too, although it might be more complicated in the case of APFS.

I use one of these for this sort of thing, more convenient than a USB case.

• #2298865 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I use Seagate external drives and get the software free from the Seagate website for both NTFS and HFS+ translators.

• #2298956 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

If display, can you attach an external monitor and boot it up? Then copy the data to a flash drive/external HDD?

Yes it does have some sort of proprietary socket that has a |

Π

| (box surrounded by vertical lines)

symbol that looks like a monitor. Not available at present. I am guessing dissection is in order….

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by wavy.
        • #2298972 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

That sounds like a Thunderbolt/mini display port?
          Thunderbolt/mini display port -> VGA adapter.
          There is also ->DVI or HDMI

IMG_0388

Attachments:
      • #2299061 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I think it predates Thunderbolt. I see that it is a

Male Mini-DVI plug on top of a 12-inch PowerBook G4; female port is second from left.

And maybe I have a PowerBook not macbook

Gonna dissect it, tried to find break down but likely searched for Macbook will try again

Edit
        Nope it is a MACBOOK. found it @ https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Core_2_Duo

🙂

🍻

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by wavy.
        • #2299063 Reply
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

make that https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Core_Duo

Great site BTW

🍻

• #2299066 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Wavy: Maybe this is a totally unnecessary observation, but here it is, in case it can be of some actual help:

I do not know how it was in older Mac laptops, but in my MacBook Pro there is a little black apple icon at the left end of the top of the screen toolbar: clicking on it and then clicking on “About this Mac” in the drop-down menu that appears, opens a box with information, among other things, on what kind of Mac it is.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• #2299071 Reply
          Myst
          AskWoody Plus

This looks like a MacBook 2008 monitor adapter to HDMI connection. Can’t tell for sure. But if it is what you’re looking for to hook up to a display that has an HDMI port then it might give you the visual needed to see what music files are on the device.

Win7 Home x64 MacOS Chromebook

• #2299072 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Looks just like this
        Male Mini-DVI plug

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4f/Kobushi-mini-dvi.jpg/300px-Kobushi-mini-dvi.jpg

🍻

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by wavy.
        • #2299079 Reply
          Myst
          AskWoody Plus

Looks just like this

Yes, and that is what this mini female connector to HDMI is, as shown on the Amazon link I posted.

• #2299083 Reply
          Myst
          AskWoody Plus

Looks like what you need. Just went back to the link and it all sounds good for the connections on your MacBook. Mini DVI Male to HDMI Female Cable

• #2299092 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I am gonna go with disassembly and see what I can do.
        Thanks to you all 😊

🍻

• #2299151 Reply
          Myst
          AskWoody Plus

I am gonna go with disassembly

Good luck. Hope it’s worth the trouble. Now you know how to get a visual of the files if you have a monitor with HDMI.

• #2299169 Reply
            wavy
            AskWoody Plus

If I had that adapter in my quite full cable box I would, but it is only a pass-time thing. If I get the back cover of the led screen off I maybe able to use an external back-light to see the display if not the HDD will be accessible already 😁

🍻

• #2299173 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

According to this, your Mac may be a PowerBook  G4 from around or before 2008:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DVI

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• #2299228 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

That definitely looks like Mini DVI. You should be able to find one of those adapters on eBay (I still have some with my PowerBook).

Question: Do you have another Mac you can plug it into?

If so, you could try Target Disk Mode.

Nathan Parker

• #2299284 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

@ Oscar I believe it is an MacBook Core Duo Mid 2006 / model number A1181

@Nathan Good info to know, I think this is the first time I have laid hand on a Macbook so have none of that. I do have screw drivers though …😈
        😆

🍻

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Mac book HDD

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.