• MAC OS: Apple security updates fix 2 zero-days used to hack iPhones, Macs

Home » Forums » Cyber Security Information and Advisories » Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories » MAC OS: Apple security updates fix 2 zero-days used to hack iPhones, Macs

Author
    Topic

“Apple has released emergency security updates today to fix two zero-day vulnerabilities previously exploited by attackers to hack iPhones, iPads, or Macs.

“Today, Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.5.1 and iOS 15.6.1/iPadOS 15.6.1 to resolve two zero-day vulnerabilities that are reported to have been actively exploited.

“The two vulnerabilities are the same for all three operating systems, with the first tracked as CVE-2022-32894. This vulnerability is an out-of-bounds write vulnerability in the operating system’s Kernel.

“Apple disclosed active exploitation in the wild, however, it did not release any additional info regarding these attacks.

Likely, these zero-days were only used in targeted attacks, but it’s still strongly advised to install today’s security updates as soon as possible.”

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/apple-security-updates-fix-2-zero-days-used-to-hack-iphones-macs/

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", 12GB RAM, Group "0Patch", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations. Linux Mint Greenhorn
    --
    "Courage isn’t the absence of fear; it's being scared to death and going on anyway. The man who says he's fearless is a fool, and I won't have him in my command.” —Unknown

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I’ve found it both interesting and puzzling that many who use Apple products never update them supposedly because updating shortens the lifespan of the items! I’m from the Windows ecosystem (currently two computers Windows 10 Pro and Windows 8 Pro) and do wait for awhile before updating my Windows computers (and read Susan’s recommendations here) but NEVER update…that makes zero sense to me.

I’m rather new to both Smart phones and Apple products…my first and only smart phone is an Apple XR and I also have a series 5 Apple watch. I updated my iPhone on Wednesday the moment I first read about this. My phone will be four years old in November and I have always updated it as soon as I read there was an update and before the phone would notify me.

So, is there any truth to this reason Apple users give to never update? I’m curious but whether there is truth there or not, I will always apply security updates to a PHONE especially as soon as available given the sensitive (banking, etc) apps on a phone that I don’t have on my computers.

Sensationalists will always claim that sort of thing is more widespread and worse than it really is. I like to do that with Windows. 😉

My own experience:

Battery drain – I don’t see this happening during normal use. I suspect most complaints are actually about how much was used for the task of installing the update – one of the most demanding things the phone will ever do. Then afterwards, it’s back to normal usage. At least, that’s how it has always been for my 1st generation iPhone SE – approaching 5½ years old and still with 90% of its maximum battery capacity.

Slowness – If the phone has gotten slower at some tasks over time, I’ve hardly noticed. And in the rare times that I have, I always recognized that the particular app or the operating system itself has become more demanding – which is not unique to mobile.

However, I will admit that I’m not the average user. No video watching, social media scrolling, gaming, or shopping. No unnecessarily high screen brightness or obnoxious and inconsiderate high volume levels. Probably the most demanding task my phone does is navigation, and then no more than a couple of times a year.

But this is not to say that Apple never makes mistakes. They certainly do and have – I just haven’t been adversely affected (yet).

Linux Mint 20.3 | Windows 10 Home 21H1
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    Reply To: MAC OS: Apple security updates fix 2 zero-days used to hack iPhones, Macs

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: