News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Mac; Running 32bit software on Big Sur and Catalina

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Mac; Running 32bit software on Big Sur and Catalina

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

How to run Aperture, iPhoto, and older versions of iTunes on macOS Big Sur

Despite long being abandoned by Apple, it’s still possible to launch — and run — apps without 64-bit support like Aperture and older versions of iTunes on both macOS Big Sur and Catalina.

First things first. If your workflow truly relies on Apple’s old image organizing tool Aperture, then you should be looking to replace rather than resurrect it. But then Aperture, as much as it had its fans, was dropped five years ago so you’ve surely moved your work to a new system by now.

In which case, don’t see this as a replacement or a resurrection, but rather something to relish. Where others have found workarounds for retrieving your old Aperture data, developer and IT consultant Tyshawn Cormier has created a system to let you re-install and run the app itself.

What Retroactive does is circumvent Apple’s macOS systems that first prevent installation, and then running them.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2308743 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I keep my High Sierra iMac sitting around for running legacy software. I run Aperture, iTunes, and iPhoto on it, plus other discontinued apps such as iBooks Author and any 32 Bit apps I still have running (I have one app that never made it to 64 Bit. The content of it is being moved to an app I already use that is 64 Bit, but in the meantime, I can still access the legacy app on my old iMac).

I have replaced Aperture with Luminar (and about to try Luminar AI). I still like keeping Aperture around as occasionally it has tools in it I just love using no matter how many replacements I try to find for it. Even then, I know I won’t want to use it as my primary app.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Mac; Running 32bit software on Big Sur and Catalina

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.