News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MacBook Pro Popping Sound Returns in 16” MacBook Pro

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS MacBook Pro Popping Sound Returns in 16” MacBook Pro

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 1 month ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

The 16″ MacBook Pro is the latest MacBook Pro to also come with the “feature” of the popping sound bug:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/12/05/macbook-pro-popping-sound-bug-returns-in-new-16-inch-model

Nathan Parker

• #2015694 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

It sounds similar to a problem I had with Linux on my desktop.  It turned out that as soon as the audio subsystem went idle, it would go into power-saving mode, and when it came out of power-saving mode the next time it played a sound, the pop would occur.  It’s a desktop, so it wasn’t necessary for it to be so focused on power-saving anyway, and fortunately, my laptops didn’t exhibit the pop… so I just turned off power saving mode for the desktop’s audio system, and the problem was solved.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.5).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2015802 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP
    • #2015820 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Listening to the “popping sound” on the video Nathan has provided the link to, I actually find it rather enjoyable. In fact, I am feeling quite envious of those whose luck is to have such a fine “popping Mac”. Mine doesn’t do that. But, then again, it is just a primitive 15″ Retina MacBook Pro ca. mid-2015, so what can one possibly expect from it? I am permanently surprised and amazed by  how much, thanks to a truly impressive rate of innovation, has laptop technology advanced in just a few short years!

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  OscarCP.
    • #2015864 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

You probably wouldn’t enjoy the popping sound if you had to do audio recording. 🙂

Nathan Parker

• #2016245 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

But Nathan: Who could possibly want to use a sophisticated 16″ MacPro Book Retina for audio recording?

That’s what cassette tape recorders are for.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2016255 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I used to frequently use a MacBook Pro for audio recording, but I guess I’ve been doing it wrong when I should have been using my cassette tape recorder instead (I had one of those when I was little, so I do remember them!). 🙂

Nathan Parker

• #2022029 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MacBook Pro Popping Sound Returns in 16” MacBook Pro

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.